Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

wembiee
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2008, 2:42 pm

if you want to control your seizures, its best if you go on meds.
i'm at tegretol as well, but i dont get hallucinations.

Zamone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2008, 9:09 pm

My twin (Moderate Autism)used to have petit-mal seizures about 4 years ago. He'd have a fair few a day. And my older brother (Profound Autism) has Epilepsy. Not photosensitive, but the seizures are grand-mal. He takes Epilim, and I think one of his other meds (Probably Clonazopan, if it's spelt that way) also lowers the seziure thresh-hold.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 10:08 pm

Tally wrote:
Apparently there is a slightly higher incidence of epilepsy amongst autistics than in the general population, so there may be a link, but no one's quite sure really.

The current medical consensus is that epilepsy is more than slightly more common in ASCs. ;) It's very common, with official diagnostic rates as high as 1/3 (though it may in fact be higher with milder epilepsies which may prove more difficult to catch during an EEG or may not even be identified as "epilepsy" by the person especially in the case of simple partials).

Temporal Lobe Epilepsy is the most common type of epilepsy (in general, not ASC); the temporal lobes seem particularly vulnerable to epileptic activity for some reason. I don't know if the same can be said for TLE in autism though, whether it's the most common type as well. Although, personally, I suspect it is-- though don't quote me on that.

For me, personally, I have very mild TLE, just simple partials, so I am fully awake to experience them. They usually occur when I'm getting tired (inhibition lessens in the brain the slower the brain wave it seems, increasing the likelihood of seizure activity). I experience somatosensory seizure hallucinations: buzzing, tinnitus, dizziness, knocking sounds, yelling sounds, and sometimes white flashes of light. I also get motor jerks in my left hand/lower arm (my most common simple partial) and sometimes in my eyes. Once, I even saw dots of color, but that was after a prolonged bout of seizures which hasn't occurred since (thankfully).

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 2:47 am

I've suffered from milder forms of epilepsy since I was a baby, it runs in my family.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 7:55 am

Once in a while I get these short episodes (around 10 to 20 seconds) of slight tingling in my head and shoulders, ringing in the ears, a bright tint to my vision (as if everything was lit up with a bright incandescent light), muscle weakness, and dizziness. I don't really know if it's a partial seizure or something else.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 1:07 pm

Odin wrote:
Once in a while I get these short episodes (around 10 to 20 seconds) of slight tingling in my head and shoulders, ringing in the ears, a bright tint to my vision (as if everything was lit up with a bright incandescent light), muscle weakness, and dizziness. I don't really know if it's a partial seizure or something else.

I wouldn't be surprised. Is there a particular time or event that often links with it? Like mine, for example, occur when I get tired. Seizures are often associated with "state shifts".

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 3:40 pm

Sophist wrote:
Odin wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised. Is there a particular time or event that often links with it? Like mine, for example, occur when I get tired. Seizures are often associated with "state shifts".

The can happen at any time, but they most often occur after I stretch or yawn , especially if I've been looking at a TV screen or computer monitor for a while

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2008, 5:18 pm

I've only ever had one seizure. It was quite random; there was nothing obvious that could have caused it. It happened when I was in my first grade classroom (6 years old): I was doing nothing except a group art activity (eek!) and drawing on a big group poster when "it" commenced. It wasn't extremely serious, but I did lose consciousness and banged my head on a bench behind me, so I got a minor concussion. I have no memory of the event or of anything for about 4 hours after the event.

I hope that's the only time that'll ever happen. >.>

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 6:52 pm

Odin wrote:
Sophist wrote:
Odin wrote:

The can happen at any time, but they most often occur after I stretch or yawn , especially if I've been looking at a TV screen or computer monitor for a while

I get that too, but I don't think it's seizure activity, as it reminds me of orthostatic hypotension.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 7:04 pm

Epilepsy runs in my family. I've only had a spell once when I was sixteen.
So I guess no harm, eh?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 7:29 pm

I have a seizure disorder, fortunately fully under control with medication.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 7:37 pm

When I was five, I had a cat scan done and according to my mother it showed a part of my brain that is usually seen with people that have epilepsy but I've never had a seizure. She also said it showed one side of my brain was thicker than the other. 8O

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2008, 9:39 pm

I get partial seizures on rare occasions from lights that flicker at a certain speed, like strobes. The aura is terrifying.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:20 am

Years ago met a gentleman who had photosensitive epilepsy and he said Dilantin worked for him. Dilantin is an epilepsy medicine. Dilantin does not work for everyone. - http://www.remarkablemedicine.com/ -