Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 Mar 2010, 2:40 am

I dont really fit the logic boy thing...I am not male, I am not always logical...more emotional/curious, but the why thing fits me well. I always had to know why and it better not be "because I told you so" or forget it.

I remember when my father told me not to cut my jeans into shorts. I asked him why? Because they cost money.

Well I cut them anyway come springtime for a lack of shorts...thought I would save money on buying shorts.
He threw them in the trash. I took them out of the trash and wore them anyway. He found out that I did that and drove me 15 miles outside of town screaming at me the whole time about respect and made me throw them into a dumpster. Then he proceeded to scream at me the whole way back about respect.

Well I decided then that it was never about money...because I still needed shorts plus he wasted gas to give me a lesson on respect. Well I eventually got my shorts, but he never got respect out of that.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:47 am

jojobean wrote:
he wasted gas to give me a lesson on respect. Well I eventually got my shorts, but he never got respect out of that.

I have a huge problem with the Argument from Authority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority) and being socially bound by the convention that "When men are established in any kind of dignity, it is thought a breach of modesty for others to derogate any way from it, and question the authority of men who are in possession of it." (John Locke).

I like authority, and respect people who earn respect. I don't like idiots in suits claiming expertise over stuff they know nothing about just because they got elected, wormed their way to the top of the corporate hierarchy, stabbed enough backs, etc.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:52 am

Why only boys? Are only boys allowed to be Aspies? :evil:

Logic type matches me. And a little bit of Fantasy and Anxiety. But I have never been a boy and I rather won't be :lol:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:55 am

Lol I wish someone would relate to me the way the person who wrote that article tells people to relate to "Logic Boy."

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:57 am

Valoyossa wrote:

Logic type matches me. And a little bit of Fantasy and Anxiety. But I have never been a boy and I rather won't be :lol:

Because "Logic Person" doesn't have quite such a nice ring to it as "Logic Boy" does. ;)

It does describe me quite well, especially about explaining things to me in simple terms and being very critical of rules.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 12:10 pm

I am somewhat of a mixture of all of them, but mostly Emotion Boy - Predominately Fantasy

Maika
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2010, 12:20 pm

i am a mix between The Rule Boy—Over-controlled and Emotion Boy - Predominately Fantasy .... except for that i'm a girl lol

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2010, 12:39 pm

Valoyossa wrote:

i do not know, i didn't write it. i am guessing it is because of 9 out of 10 aspies are male, or at least 9 out of 10 of those who are diagnosed. were it not for that fact, i would have thought it was sexist. it is implying that just because females tend to have better social skills, means they are less logical. :roll:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 12:45 pm

Is it impossible to think logical and have social kills?
Unfortunately I don't have social skills. I'm pretty unsociable :(

----

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2010, 12:49 pm

ursaminor wrote:
I am somewhat of a mixture of all of them, but mostly Emotion Boy - Predominately Fantasy

i think it is possible for one to have traits of all of them or to have a few traits of each. in my opinion the logic type is kind of like the rule type since in many ways logic is kind of like a set of rules except for the fact that logic is less arbitrary and that it is not something socially created, as rules are. it also seems as if the logic type could ironically become like the fantasy type in situations where the coping mechanisms fail. when i could not make perfect sense out of everything, i become withdrawn and sort of shut down.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 12:58 pm

Valoyossa wrote:

The social skills I have, I create myself, consciously. Logically. It's the best I can do. I know you can do this too, but it's work.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 12:59 pm

Valoyossa wrote:

Not impossible; I can do both. Like I said before, I've accepted that most social rules are illogical. That doesn't bother me, though, because they still have a reason behind them. These rules exist because that's how most people are wired for interaction, they arise from biology.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2010, 1:04 pm

Aurore wrote:
I was a lot like this, but my parents are Aspies and like that too, so there was never any friction between us - they just explained their actions and why I shouldn't do stuff, and I learned to trust their judgement.

that must have made relations at home much less confusing. if i tried to ask my parents what the use of social rules were, they would simply reply saying that there was no real reason and that people unconciously copy them. i have never understood people who socialize without extensively planning every situation. i would tell them that many social norms made no sense, yet unfortunately they would often win the arguement by saying that there are many things, like how the big bang started or what the meaning of life is, that cannot be entirely explained. while this is quite true, it is distressing.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:09 pm

pat2rome wrote:
Valoyossa wrote:

Not impossible; I can do both. Like I said before, I've accepted that most social rules are illogical. That doesn't bother me, though, because they still have a reason behind them. These rules exist because that's how most people are wired for interaction, they arise from biology.

There is a logic behind them, even though in some cases it's an annoying or counterproductive logic. You can read books about the stuff, or figure it out if you're forced into social situations on a regular basis.

Failing that, I'm more than happy to talk to her about cables.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:16 pm

Yeah, cables are always and forever good. When sb annoys me, I can use them to tie annoying one :twisted:

----

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:22 pm

My favorites are HDMI cables, they tend to have a soft, supple exterior while being thick and sturdy. Gold plated connectors are a nice touch.

However USB is clearly the most versatile. And there will always be a soft spot in my heart for 15-pin game ports.