Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2010, 3:35 pm

Do most people on the spectrum have any luck with desensitization methods to overcome anxiety? I have tried it over the years with little to no success. Once I get to a certain point, that's as far as I can go, no matter how much I want to go beyond that. I have pushed myself a few times to the point of ending up in the emergency room.

It also seems that desensitization is especially popular with the ever-present "you just need to try harder" people. Yes, I know that my triggers are holding me back in life and keeping me from doing things I want to do. Yes, I know the idea behind getting used to things a little, then a little more, etc. Yes, I have the desire to change my behavior.

For example, I can only be in a large room full of conversing people for so long, and then I am DONE. If I go beyond that time, things get ugly. I have gradually stretched out the time over the years, but I've taken it as far as it can go.

Are there any desensitization tips and tricks specifically for those on the spectrum, ones that are generally not mentioned in books meant for people who just have anxiety disorders alone?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:48 pm

(message removed, replied to wrong thread).

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 5:57 pm

Well, as you've noted, one's tolerance does increase with age and exposure (it's known as 'cynicism', or 'becoming jaded'), but if you're talking about exercises to eliminate it, I wouldn't hold my breath. IMO, the 'just try harder' approach, for someone with a neurological disorder, is very unhealthy, and may ultimately result in things like ulcers. When you suppress a strong emotional reaction, you're not eliminating it, just internalizing it, and that can be physically damaging over the long term.

I find I can tolerate social situations as long as I need to, though it may mean standing in the corner, waiting for the Hell to end, but the longer I endure it, the longer a period of decompressive solitude I'm going to need afterward.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 12:33 am

Depends on what - we have had good success in some areas with NLP techniques.

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2010, 8:01 am

What is NLP?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:05 am

NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) is a kind of suite of techniques for changing behaviour, often through the examination and modification of the way the language we use (or don't) frames how we relate to the world. That's my definition and probably quite poor :-)

I've not gotten too deeply into NLP research, so I feel rather reticent to recommend a resource, but I did read some of this guy's site, and found it helpful:

Here

I must recommend meditation. It's had a great effect on my ability to sustain prolonged contact with people without stress, and reduced my baseline anxiety massively. A side benefit is that my ability to concentrate has also increased.

This page has a good basic meditation that is easy to understand.

Desensitize suggests a kind of passive, numbed response. I suggest instead that you become more sensitive, but more sensitive to what's going on within you. So when you feel anxious you become aware of how and why, and then you can learn to choose a concious response instead of reacting reflexively to triggers.