One moment fine...the next moment BAM!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 2:26 am

And, off to one side, but not irrelevant:

I am a great direction finder. I do not get lost easily, if I do I know how to get back to familiar territory. I read maps easily and happily - one of my interests. Used to have a great collection. I know how to tell if I am going north or southwest. Some areas I know like the back of my hand.

AND, with this - there are only a few NAMES of roads I actually know. I know the landmarks and turns to get from here to West Chicago and my brother-in-law's house, a moderately complx two hour run. And out of the whole trip I know about four road NAMES, and one of them I am not sure of.

Better to know how to get from here to thew Post Office than to know every street name in town and gdet lost.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2010, 5:05 pm

Philologos wrote:
And, off to one side, but not irrelevant:

I am a great direction finder. I do not get lost easily, if I do I know how to get back to familiar territory. I read maps easily and happily - one of my interests. Used to have a great collection. I know how to tell if I am going north or southwest. Some areas I know like the back of my hand.

AND, with this - there are only a few NAMES of roads I actually know. I know the landmarks and turns to get from here to West Chicago and my brother-in-law's house, a moderately complx two hour run. And out of the whole trip I know about four road NAMES, and one of them I am not sure of.

Better to know how to get from here to thew Post Office than to know every street name in town and gdet lost.

Ditto. (I am also a map collector that hardly gets lost :D ) and I hardly know the names of roads or even the districts I am in (for instance, I may know that I am in the NORTHWEST San Fernando Valley at the time, but will not be sure if I am in Woodland Hills/Encino/West Hills or whatever. Yet I kind easily find my way/have a great "sense of direction" and actually enjoy the act of driving, although the other drivers make me anxious and irritated many times