Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 3:51 am

Links? Books? Videos? Anything?

There has to be a compiled list somewhere.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 7:21 am

I could have used something like that, 15 years ago. It was a pretty lonely experience, working at that factory, hanging out with sex kittens that I had nothing in common with.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 10:10 am

Well, I would guess that since what prevents a lot of us from really making friends, it would be a social skills guide that we would need.

I've looked at a few, but haven't really read them. There are all sorts of social skills books on Amazon, though.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 11:43 am

I never had any desire to make friends....still don't. You either accept me as I am or get lost. An actual "true friend" would accept me the way I was.

Blueberis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2010, 2:02 pm

Maybe it would be easier to find an NT person like a family member or family friend and ask them to go with you into social settings to help you learn?

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2010, 7:34 pm

This book by Temple Grandin might help - The Unwritten Rules of Social Relations. I've not read it, but I have heard it is really good.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 10:24 pm

i find that trial and error works well, and alchola helps alot to get over social anxiety,

a good place to practice is going to a event or place of any sort were people will have common interest, makes it a lot ezer to socialize if every one there has at least one common thing in common with you. if you have a dog, go to a dog park, if you collect comics go to a comic book convention or store. and so on and so forth, and if you having anxiety to going to a place like that, have a little bit of alcohol to get buzzed to help you throw it, don't get drunk thou, just buzzed.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 10:26 pm

also a friend of a family member who you trust be a good idea to bring with you, so they can help you out if your having trouble.