Anybody here who is, or was, a picky eater?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2010, 4:41 pm

I was curious to know, is it a common thing among those on the spectrum?

I'm quite a picky eater, but these days I have more variety in my diet than what I used to. When I was younger I virtually lived on buttered bread, and at one point became very skinny. Has anybody else here had a similar experience with regards to fussy eating?

Discuss.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 4:50 pm

yes. it's a wonder I didn't starve growing up, I hated the food we had, always a meat and a starch and maybe some excuse for a vegetable that was either frozen or canned. My nephew, who has some hallmarks of being on the spectrum, is the pickiest kid on the planet. He basically likes ketchup and butter (he thinks they are 'food' not condiments) and olives and pickles and peppers. And he would live on popsicles if he could. He has no use for most real 'food'. He loves tomatoes, I forgot that, and bananas.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2010, 4:51 pm

I can eat most things without complaint if I have to, but day to day my meals are, for the most part, the same.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 5:17 pm

I'm not that much of a picky eater, but I am a weird one. I don't like the 'normal' combinations of food. Course, this is the same kid who hated ice cream, so meh.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 5:34 pm

my daughter had a "texture" thing. hated mashed potatoes, hated crunchy things, as a toddler. loved broccoli (fresh) and other such foods. her pickiness was more about where things were on the plate. the various foods had to be in the same places each time, not touching. and no gravy - god forbid. and pretty much luke-warm. not too hot, not too cold.

she grew out of most of that, but still has the "texture" thing. tomatoes and most "slimey" veggies set off her gag reflex. same with bananas. loves the flavor, cannot have them in her mouth.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 5:40 pm

I'm a very picky eater! I like to eat the same kinds of foods and I really don't like to try new food as I feel that it will not taste nice, especially if it does not look nice to me.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 5:42 pm

I'm a picky eater, but unfortunately never seemed to "outgrow" the junk food phase of being a kid, lol. I hear doctors talk about finger food phases, and junk food phases and all of that, and how it's not terrible for a kid, because they run it off....

But as an adult, I'm rather chunky now, and I look at healthy foods and don't like the textures of a lot of them, the colors of some of them bug me, some of them smell funny, etc. I'm trying to get better about what I eat, but I'm just so darn picky it's really hard.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 5:47 pm

i grew up on hotdogs and pizza and eggs thats all id eat. cause it was all stuff i could make myself. im tastes have grow only because i cook. i couldnt have other people touch my food

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 6:09 pm

VERY common. As a child I could not feel the sensation of hunger. I was thiristy ALL THE TIME but had to force myself to eat so my parents would get off my back. I hated most food and hated spagetti the most. I would complain we we had it and my ass of a dad would say, "Well maybe tomorrow we'll have something you like." "Tomorrow" we usually had leftovers of the spagetti which was worse. When you take the noodles and the sause, mix them together and refrigerator them, it's a disaster. My parents claim it's better that way but just thinking of it makes me nacious. I hate pretty much anything with noodles and litteraly have starved until my parents let me order pizza. I can't eat anything with alfredo sause either. I can't eat salad without feeling like I am going to pass out from all the diffrent tastes and textures.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 6:13 pm

I am picky eater. Every morning I eat müsli. It has some versions, but it must be müsli. And later I eat fuits, vegetables, only pure, I hate dips, oil, sugar, salt, pepper etc. I eat only dark bread, pure. I must drink carrot juice, pure carrot. I have Eating-plan and I don't like when sth disturbs me.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 6:22 pm

Yes, another picky eater here.

Maika
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2010, 6:34 pm

i was a picky eater, but not about what i ate it was more about how i ate it. different foods weren't allowed to touch each other and if something falls into something that isnt supposed to be there, i couldn't touch it anymore

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 6:34 pm

I'm not picky but I don't mind eating the same stuff because I don't get bored with it. Although it is nice to try something new for a change.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 6:43 pm

I believe it is extremely common amongst autistics.
But I have always been an easy eater, would basically eat anything that was put on my plate.
More picky nowadays about the position of the food on my plate.
My mother bought me partitioned plates which is useful.
I know a sort of rumbling feeling in my stomach, but I know it goes away after 15 minutes or so, because the special interest part of me has mostly been very strong.
I would almost literally have to be pulled away from my interest to eat.
But I eat mostly because I get bored.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2010, 7:22 pm

I was an extremely picky eater as a child, but I seemed to have outgrown that. Still my day to day diet really isn't very varied, purely out of habit though rather than a dislike for certain foods.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2010, 7:25 pm

I was a picky eater also - and couldn't stand mushy foods. Applesauce, mashed potatoes, soggy veggies - YUCK. It also didn't help that my mother did not know how to cook, so mashed potatoes were from a box (the worst) and broccoli was frozen and so was always soggy. Also hated ketchup as a kid but LOVED mustard. I would put mustard on anything.

Only recently did I learn that I did, in fact, like mashed potatoes if they were made from real potatoes and left a bit chunkier. I still don't like mushy veggies, though. But today I will eat virtually any veggie, except peas, brussels sprouts, overcooked squash, lime beans and other "weird" veggies. Don't like corn much, but will eat it if it's on the cob (I would not eat it at ALL as a kid).