Hi Functioning Aspies with a Breakdown in Mid Adulthood?

Page 2 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:31 pm

Morgana wrote:
Too many things have changed in my life recently.....

UGH! :eew: Sorry to hear that. May your routines reestablish themselves shortly.

CHANGE is STRESS :nerdy:

:chin: Didn't George Orwell say that? :study:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:32 pm

Willard wrote:
faithfilly wrote:
adrenal exhaustion from years of pumping out high levels of epinephrine from prolonged severe anxiety. Not only were these AS people dealing with their regular levels of anxiety¹, but they were also working extremely hard to maintain a façade of normalcy.”

Wow, I wish I'd had that book when I first applied for SSDI. It would have made explaining an invisible handicap to government docs so much easier.

I suspect this is an extremely common occurrence among adult Aspies, especially those of us who've lived with AS for many decades without knowing what they had. I've had several breakdowns over the years, but never had the luxury of being able to call it that, or seek help.

I was actually glad when physical symptoms showed up (and, even better, on tests) for that reason, even though the physical stuff was the lesser problem. The severity of the stress and loss of function is something people can't see and don't believe. Even the sympathetic doctors I had never really seemed to get how bad it was. And relatives -- ugh -- didn't even bother telling them.

Quote:
I was always told there was nothing wrong with me but cowardice and laziness and to 'get up and walk it off'. What would happen was, I'd become unable to function at my job, get fired and draw unemployment for eight months or so while I recovered and decompressed. Then I'd go right back out and start over because there was no other option. But as the years went by, the decompression periods got longer and longer.

I weirdly feel lucky that I burned out so hard when I was young. I can't imagine doing that repeatedly.

Everything in this thread is a good argument for support of adult ASD folk (not that I'm delusional enough to think that'll happen anytime soon) -- there's clearly no lack of effort or willpower amongst what people have said, and if all that effort could've been put into something other than sheer survival, the world might've gotten more out of the deal. I guess it's like that with most disabilities, though, which is shortsighted as hell.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:43 pm

@morgana -

Quote:
I fear I may be having a breakdown right now. I find it very difficult to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Sometimes I just cry for hours on end...and I´m usually not a "crier". Too many things have changed in my life recently....I tried to put up a good front about it for a awhile, but now I feel like I´m losing it.....

if you haven't spoken to your GP/doctor about this yet you should - even if you can only write out a few lines like this ^^ and hand it to them. They'l be able to refer you to CBT or prescribe something that should help give you time while you re-establish a routine and get well again.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 4:59 pm

Willard wrote:
faithfilly wrote:
adrenal exhaustion from years of pumping out high levels of epinephrine from prolonged severe anxiety. Not only were these AS people dealing with their regular levels of anxiety¹, but they were also working extremely hard to maintain a façade of normalcy.”

Wow, I wish I'd had that book when I first applied for SSDI. It would have made explaining an invisible handicap to government docs so much easier.

I suspect this is an extremely common occurrence among adult Aspies, especially those of us who've lived with AS for many decades without knowing what they had. I've had several breakdowns over the years, but never had the luxury of being able to call it that, or seek help. I was always told there was nothing wrong with me but cowardice and laziness and to 'get up and walk it off'. What would happen was, I'd become unable to function at my job, get fired and draw unemployment for eight months or so while I recovered and decompressed. Then I'd go right back out and start over because there was no other option. But as the years went by, the decompression periods got longer and longer.

To address the OP, though - I'm finding that in my experience at lest, there was a long arc of functionality. I think I peaked around 40 as far as my ability to function both professionally and privately. Now, ten years later, I feel much more helpless and unable to adequately deal with everyday executive-function tasks. My anxiety level seems to actually be on the increase and I've always been a worrywart. I'm much more likely to be incapacitated by panic over simple things like getting mail from the government and being afraid to open it, fearing changes to my income or demands to explain myself on long complex forms. I feel like an orphaned 12 year old. I can understand the world around me, but I'm no longer emotionally equipped to deal with all the details.

Ive been at this point of adrenal exhaustion , and Ive noticed this bipolar affect on my downside as I would lose short term memory and ability to think clearly and think at all if anything novel would happen to pop up.
I can remember thinking and saying to my self "that I wont be able to hold out much longer"and *sigh* and look into the mirror and notice my blood shot and teary eyes .
I felt like shell of a man ,walking thru life as' robotically hanging on' in these down phases .
I can remember an older man ( 80) once commented about me and remarked in a roundabout way that" I was a broken man" and he's seen it before.
This remark did me no good as I knew something was terribly wrong.

This has caused a cognitive decline since my early 30's , as before I could bounce back as this would cognitively repair.
With me, since my discovery of A/S in the past 10 months has caused a healing of this as my anxiety has dramatically lowered to a point to where I was living at home as a teenager.

My cognitive power is much better than before and I find this puzzling in part due to at least my age here and the prior attrition of damage .

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 5:37 pm

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
@morgana -

Quote:
I fear I may be having a breakdown right now. I find it very difficult to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Sometimes I just cry for hours on end...and I´m usually not a "crier". Too many things have changed in my life recently....I tried to put up a good front about it for a awhile, but now I feel like I´m losing it.....

if you haven't spoken to your GP/doctor about this yet you should - even if you can only write out a few lines like this ^^ and hand it to them. They'l be able to refer you to CBT or prescribe something that should help give you time while you re-establish a routine and get well again.
Ditto. You're under serious pressure here and your brain's telling you it doesn't want to do this anymore. Get some help and defuse it before it gets worse. A counselor might be helpful, if you get lucky picking one.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 5:55 pm

What I'm about to say is not being said to be funny. It's serious. After having thought about what this thread is focusing on, I'm beginning to suspect that I got so burnt-out in my past from stress that I was too incapable of realizing there was something wrong with me when I was at the peak of being in my worst condition.

In hindsight, I know I was functioning off of adrenaline constantly. I lack the ability to recall memories of my children growing up (they're adults now and are doing fine) and almost as much of this same inability in regard to my life before having them. Sometimes something may trigger a memory now and then, but it's fundamentally not in my control to be able to recall events... even if someone tries to help me remember.

I suffered chronic insomnia constantly for 13 years (averaging 2-3 hrs. of sleep per night). That was between the time I was 33-46 years old. Between age of 46-53, I was slowly able to improve. Then after turning 54 (I'm now 55), the speed at which I've been regaining my energy and ability to concentrate is faster.

I finally reached a point of being able to sleep a normal 8 hrs. per night (for the majority of nights in the past couple of months). That's something I haven't been able to do since I turned 27.

I read that prolonged severe sleep deprivation does damage to the brain. I feel like it's impossible for me to gauge how well I function now as compared to in the past. I'm simply thankful to be improving and to live to tell about it. The odd thing is that in spite of my cognitive abilities and nervous system getting battered around like a ship getting banged against the rocks, my body's physical health has so far been excellent. I attribute that miracle to the grace of God.

Last edited by faithfilly on 21 Mar 2010, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 6:05 pm

I have not have had any official breakdown but I have had a long slow decline over the last 6 or 7 years. I finally figured out what was wrong with me and I'm not sure it's a good thing. I am no longer trying to function in the ways I attempted before I realized I do in fact have an impairment. I was pretty suicidal about a year ago. There were a couple of days where I felt like I had already died, I was very detached from life and relieved that I had made the decision to just get it over with. I am glad I didn't lame out and abandon my animals like that. All I really want is to be able to support myself and be able to feed and care for my animals until I die. I am trying with the other stuff anymore, the social stuff. I can't do it. When I get the illusion I can I just fall on my face and get reminded.

I can understand why we flame out in mid-adulthood, NT's have a mid-life crisis and some of them kind of lose it so it's no wonder that with everything being amped up for aspies it is exponentially worse. I am really sorry you have struggled to this extend. I still hold out hope for myself.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 6:38 pm

I used to hurt myself deliberately to keep the adrenaline level up and keep myself in emergency mode, because otherwise I couldn't cope at all.

... well, okay, I still do, but not nearly as much.

Autism Memorial:

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 6:48 pm

Callista wrote:
Had one of those in my late teens... had to do with being asked to do more than I was capable of. I'd been considered completely non-disabled as a teenager. Turned out it was the environment I was in that was compensating, plus a mom who didn't want me diagnosed.

It was simple burnout. I'm still coming back from it.

You seem very well informed, Callista and I've heard you talking about the "autistic burnout" on different occasions - could you recommend me any books or other resources on the subject?

I'll buy Lawton's book, faithfilly, thanks for mentioning it.

I'm afraid I'm getting closer to the edge these days and the effort of keeping it together is taking its toll. I've been through a lot of changes in the last 3 years and there will be others I can't avoid. I try to get as much sleep and exercise as I can and keep a healthy lifestyle but sometimes it feels like I'm merely postponing a disaster. I'd like to learn more about it - maybe I could avoid a complete breakdown :(

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 7:45 pm

Sadly, I have never found any books on the topic. Most likely it is still very rarely researched. Many autism professionals seem to think that the best approach is to push the child as hard as you can, as young as you can, to force them to learn as much as possible... I wonder if maybe these modern autism therapies aren't causing burnouts in the teen years.

Autism Memorial:

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:06 pm

Callista wrote:
Sadly, I have never found any books on the topic. Most likely it is still very rarely researched. Many autism professionals seem to think that the best approach is to push the child as hard as you can, as young as you can, to force them to learn as much as possible... I wonder if maybe these modern autism therapies aren't causing burnouts in the teen years.

There's always this nagging voice in my head telling me to get it together and stop making a fuss, but if I don't choose wisely when to push myself I end up with little or no energy for the real important things. It's hard to find the right balance. Sigh.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:16 pm

total breakdown at 43. it totally wrecked my life... everything. still. stress is way past upper limits.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:19 pm

Had a few breakdowns over the course of my life. They are fairly standard experiences for us, from what I can gather...and they are usually a result of overload or trying to function in a manner that does not take into consideration the trait presentation within an individual.

I agree with Stephen Gutstein, who speaks about the fluctuations of ASD traits and issues over a course of a lifetime. There is not necessarily an exponential increase in functioning and "improvement" as Temple Grandin has stated (and as have many others.) There are peaks and troughs, times of increased AS traits and times when it is less apparent, and because of our senstivities and issues, changes in environment, routines, stasis and external and internal alterations can have a PRONOUNCED affect, which can of course manifest in breakdown.

This is my empirical understanding of my own journey with autism over the course of nearly 50 years. (well... 48 this August.) I have a formal dx of AS but with sensory issues that are extreme and would usually be more typical in someone with a classic autism dx.)

I personally believe a thorough understanding of one's own specific trait manifestation and presentation, and then working from that foundation and with that information, and learning how to manage these without trying to alter who I am intrinsically - can do a lot to help one live in a more balanced and meaningful and less painful way. I have used this approach over the past two years with good results and good outcomes. It has meant overhauling some aspects of my life in a profound way, and I am asserting myself in terms of my requirements regarding the need for understanding from those close to me, because previously I was unwittingly attempting to carry an "NT load" and I simply cannot. My meltdowns were firece, daily and impacting me and others in a way that was really painful. I have been freed from a lot of suicidal ideation and a lot of desolation as a result. I live more peacefully and fruitfully and I have found great benefit from meeting with other ASD women in my local region...many of whom share my experiences and difficulties. life is ok. in fact, it is just fine these days and I am fine with who I am. :)

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:24 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Suzanne C. Lawton refers to Aspie burnout as The Asperger Middle-Age Burnout in her book Asperger Syndrome: Natural Steps Toward a Better Life. Lawton shares on page 33 what Dr. Leslie Carter observed:

“She had noted this same behavior and attributed it to adrenal exhaustion from years of pumping out high levels of epinephrine from prolonged severe anxiety. Not only were these AS people dealing with their regular levels of anxiety, but they were also working extremely hard to maintain a façade of normalcy.”

Lawton points out, “Some AS people seemed to slip through this burnout crack. The common denominator was diet and relaxation.”

Brilliant quote, but can you remember what the dietary advice was, please?

alana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:32 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Suzanne C. Lawton refers to Aspie burnout as The Asperger Middle-Age Burnout in her book Asperger Syndrome: Natural Steps Toward a Better Life. Lawton shares on page 33 what Dr. Leslie Carter observed:

“She had noted this same behavior and attributed it to adrenal exhaustion from years of pumping out high levels of epinephrine from prolonged severe anxiety. Not only were these AS people dealing with their regular levels of anxiety, but they were also working extremely hard to maintain a façade of normalcy.”

Lawton points out, “Some AS people seemed to slip through this burnout crack. The common denominator was diet and relaxation.”

I can't thank you enough for posting that. It makes me feel so much better there is abook about it. So many of my friends have found the loves of their life and are settled and happy. My life has not gone that way at all. There used to be a skit on SNL about a guy who ended up living in a van down by the river, I feel like that could happen to me sometimes. I am just glad I guess someone took the time to notice that so many aspies go through this, it makes me feel so much less alone that someone wrote it down in a book. Withdrawing from nursing school last year is what really did me in because I had put so much effort and time in to qualifying and getting into the program, it is not easy to get into nursing school. I didn't expect to encounter the problems I did and my aspie-ness made me a target for both of my instructors, I knew they were going to fail me just to make an example out of me (long story). I withdrew to save my grade point average, which was 3.8 when I entered and 3.6 when I withdrew because I did well in the classroom part. I now have a big fat W on my transcripts, but it's better than 12 credit hours of 'F' which I knew if I let that happen I would never have the resolve to pull my GPA up again. I know I did the right thing for me, but it was a failure I did not anticipate....that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me last year. I will definitely get that book.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:33 pm

SilentScream wrote:
I was always a bit of a loner, but lucky enough to have had a sense of humour and combination of circumstances that meant that I was accepted into groups at school and college whenever I wanted to flit in.

Graduated, worked hard, supported my family, had a great job heading up a team of programmers at a top FTSE company. Then my husband started threatening suicide.

After several months of living with it, I had a breakdown, and suddenly, I went from having a career and an IQ of 152 to a wreck with severely impaired executive function and severely diminished short term memory.

I have a friend who's pointed out that there has been very little work done in studying/following the fates of aspies who make it successfully into adulthood only to suffer a breakdown.

The medical profession either treat you as an aspie, or someone who has had a breakdown, but don't really attribute symptoms to both, i.e. my current psychotherapist, a nice guy, is currently busily trying to work out what caused what, and you can see him trying to separate things the ASD from the depression.

So anyhow, the question is are there any aspies out there, who had a reasonably successful life, UNTIL a breakdown, and then any lingering effects? Thank you.

I feel like I am in the same situation. I am not diagnosed as HFA or Aspergers, though. I suspect that I have Asperger's. I was very successful, high IQ (not nearly as high as yours but in the "gifted" range), and living on my own with my daughter, then three years ago I had a similar breakdown myself. I though it was my fibromyalgia, but I dont think so any more. I was the deputy Director of Finance at Bolling AFB in DC. I was making a lot of money and had a good thing going, but everything fell apart.I think I like my job better now but my income is a LOT less, and I wouldn't make it on my own right now.