Poll ended at 29 Jun 2010, 7:48 pm
yes 90%  90%  [ 80 ]
no 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 89

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 3:34 pm

It depends on what they did and their degree of impairment.

It's not fair to be putting people in prison that have no ability to defend themself. It's like being bullied in school all over again but with more brutal beatings and sexual assaults.

I was in jail one day one time and I had a girl get mad at me for looking in her direction. In prison I'd surely get beat up a lot and made to be someone's *****.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 4:46 pm

Break the law, you go to jail. Everyone it shouldnt discriminate.
Life weights in there or something. Bulk up is what people do (mostly guys)

I don't should aspergers should be exceptions unless they are a severe case, in that case they would have had to do something awful and then they;d get a crazy plea anyway.

Many prisons do have mental health units they'd probably put one there or in the PC yard protective custody

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 6:17 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
Break the law, you go to jail. Everyone it shouldnt discriminate.
Life weights in there or something. Bulk up is what people do (mostly guys)

I don't should aspergers should be exceptions unless they are a severe case, in that case they would have had to do something awful and then they;d get a crazy plea anyway.

Many prisons do have mental health units they'd probably put one there or in the PC yard protective custody

even if aspergers/hfa is severe it shoudnt be a get out clause from justice,high functioning autists are described exactly that due to having an iq out of the intelectual disability spectrum; normal or above mental capacity which allows someone to know right from wrong.
there are low,mid and high security forensic-challenging behavior units in the UK and elsewhere which woud be far more useful in this case though because they woud actualy be getting support for the issues and behaviors they have in a controled and theraputic environment rather simply put into a building full of crims until their time is up.

there are many criminals;some very famous who had significant intelectual disability who have been through the electric chair or lethal injection,or are currently on death row,so why shoud a group of high functioning individuals be treated as less competent mentaly speaking and let off?
its disgusting how america puts individuals on death row when they have intelectual disability even though the way they comitted the crime is proof of exactly how severely they are affected,even in those it is recognised from their earliest days, we have young adult crims who comit terrible acts,never had significant issues to require assessment and upon police pysch assessment only just get a diagnosis of ASD,ID,severe mental illness,severe personality disorder etc-they are often given non custodial sentances,there is a horrible unbalance in the way the justice system deals with different disabilities and how long someone has been diagnosed [not including older adults,ie young adults who have come from a time they shoud have been spotted if they were truly affected by a condition].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 6:42 pm

Topcat16 wrote:
or should there be a different system, say reduced terms, seeing as i think this comes down to whether jail is for rehabilitation or punishment . obviously aspies differ in how they rehabilitate to nts

Sorry dude, if my Bipolar I ass can get tossed into the clink during a psychotic manic rage, what makes you any different?

Unless you are totally mentally incompetent, no free pass.

Because everyone has a reason why they shouldn't be in the hole.

Jail isn't about rehabilitation. It's about making it so miserable you never want go back.

At least in the US.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

MindBlind wrote:
Using Aspergers as an excuse to reduce your sentence/prevent going to jail actually creates more stigma towards having AS, because essentially that means that we don't know the difference between right and wrong (and I bloody well know what's right and wrong).

This is correct. If you can't deal with reality or "cope", do you want to be assigned a handler so you don't mess up?

Beside the thresh hold of being legally incompetent is "can you tell the difference between an apple and an orange". My shrink told me this.

I don't believe anyone on the board is to that level.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 6:57 pm

Lene wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
Ah, but do you see what the judge found in the second case I cited?

The individual was unable to communicate adequately due to his AS, which led on to him being charged with attempted murder. He was found not guilty directly due to his AS. I don't know if this case set a precedent or not, but there it is, and I agree with the judge completely, as I know what the communication difficulties are like, even with AS. He intended to kill the bully, even if it was to stop the bullying.

It's the same thing as "battered wife syndrome" for the most part (the wife is effectively trapped and can't break the cycle without drastic action).

Are you sure it wasn't the bullying that was the mitigating factor, not the aspergers? I'd be interested to see a link to this case if you have one.

I would be very worried if the case was dismissed because the defendant 'couldn't speak up' due to his AS. Where does this stop? I dislike what my boss is saying, can I stab him too because it's easier than learning to communicate like a human being?

Okay, I'm laughing. I've had bosses where it WOULD have been easier to stab their tyrannical asses, than communicate like a human being.

With them, a shank in the back is what would finally wake them up the their employees dissatisfaction.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2013, 7:44 pm

Check your facts and for the last time I am tired of people saying Asperger's as opposed to autistic folks in general. There are a lot of neurodiverse folks in prison. Maybe more than half of people in prison are neurodiverse. There are people who get a medical excuse already. And not all autistics "know the rules of society".

There are a lot of problems going on with how all people are treated in jail, especially people with disabilities. That doesn't mean prison isn't the right place for some of them, it depends on each case. Sometimes a psych ward can be worse than prison, mind you.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 7:11 pm

Prisons have special sections and mental health units. They also have rehap programs. So yes, it you do the crime, do the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 7:53 pm

If a man with Down Syndrome can be sent to jail - and even executed - then Autism in any for should not be a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

Do the Crime --> Do the Time.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 9:17 am

Anbuend, you bring up a good point but I think it can be applied across the board, not jut to those on the Autism Spectrum. Anyone can be duped and manipulated into committing a crime without his or her knowledge, it happens all the time. I think that each case has to be looked at individually and treated fairly. I mean even this law in California, you might be in the car with your friend or someone and whether you are on the spectrum or not or mentally disabled or not, if you had no idea that your friend was going to rob someone or kill someone and just let you come along for the ride, by California law you are guilty or the robbery or murder as well just because you were with them. Don't quote me for sure on this because I have just heard about the law, I have not actually researched it so anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But I just think that in every case, all factors should be looked at and weighed fairly and if you are indeed guilty of a crime, there should be an appropriate consequence. And that consequence can have your safety and needs built into it as well. Many prisons have sections to keep the mentally challenged safe and cared for while they are incarcerated. And they also have programs to help people.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2013, 9:38 am

Holy s**t! I raced to this thread thinking: "There's someone who thinks Aspies should be in prison??? :evil: "

Whew!

I agree with those that said Aspies should go to some kind of mental health prison than a regular one. Aspies would get eaten alive by the psycho and sociopaths in regular prison. I would rather they go somewhere that would be better suited to rehabilitation than something better suited to mental, physical and sexual torture.

Actually, I feel that way about anybody with the potential to actually be rehabilitated.

To those that can't, which I feel probably most psycho and sociopaths can't, I would put them in a pit and they can fight and rape and kill each other all they want.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 5:11 pm

Why shouldn't we? Because we won't like it? Of course we should! Anybody who commits a crime and is found guilty should go to prison. If they are found not guilty by reason of mental defect they are usually sent to a mental hospital. Sometimes prisoners themselves serve their time in secured mental units. So, yeah. AS shouldn't be a get out of jail free card.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 11:30 pm

The only reason not send people to jail with condition X is that condition X causes the perp to not know the difference between right and wrong.

Aspergers does not in anyway impair the knowledge of right from wrong.

So having aspergers is of no relevence to sentencing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

In fact any aspie who revives a dead thread should be given a prison sentence equal to the age of the last previous post on the thread!

SB! You get three years and four months!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jul 2013, 12:50 am

I agree with moog. Prison doesn't really work (and no, the only alternative is not simply executing criminals), and we shouldn't be sending anyone to them.

Also, another reason someone might not be sent to prison is because it may be deemed cruel and unusual punishment for them, for a variety of reasons. I think this is fairly rare, however.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 1:27 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I agree with moog. Prison doesn't really work (and no, the only alternative is not simply executing criminals), and we shouldn't be sending anyone to them.

Also, another reason someone might not be sent to prison is because it may be deemed cruel and unusual punishment for them, for a variety of reasons. I think this is fairly rare, however.

Which is not answering the question.

As things are most perps are sent to prison. So should aspie perps be exempt, or treated like everyone else?

And what are these alternatives to prison?