Hi there, I could really use some assistance.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Shogun2012
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2010, 6:42 pm

Hi there, I stumbled across these boards in interest of helping my brother, any and all advice and or references to assistance would be greatly appreciated.

To begin, my brother is not currently diagnosed with aspergers though all signs would point to this being the case. He is 36 and lives in small town outside of Albany NY. Up until recently he has been extremely resistive to seeking any help or association with a diagnosis. He is currently unemployed and cannot pay for resources to get assistance now that he is amiable to get it.

Can anyone point me towards somewhere around the Albany NY area, or even possibly the Bennington VT area that would be able to help him without requiring immediate payment, if not for my own financial woes I would be more than happy to assist him in this manner but cannot. His life is falling apart and I need to be able to help him, I just do not know how. Im sure he could benefit from counseling or a pyschiatrist, or something of the sort, I just have been unable to find this assistance on my own. Thank you in advance for any and all help/advise you may be able to give.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 7:13 pm

I'm sorry, I'd help if I could but I don't know the area at all as I live in Australia. Have you tried maybe a social worker or something? They can help come up with plans for people who need help and are in sticky financial situations. I don't think you can get a diagnosis from a psychologist for free, but to get one he should just need a single session. I think over here it costs a bit over $200 for a session, although that probably varies. If he can get in to see a psychologist, even just for the once, and he really is AS (and exhibiting obvious symptoms) he should be able to get a diagnosis and maybe apply for government benefits of some sort(?) (I don't know what's available and for who where you live). Maybe check out the APA website (American Psychologists Association)?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 7:14 pm

Seeing how he's thirty years old, why don't you bring him to WP? It's awkward talking about all this through a messenger.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Shogun2012
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2010, 7:24 pm

unfortunately I cannot, he doesnt have a computer and I live roughly 400 miles away presently

MrTeacher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2010, 8:25 pm

I would attempt to locate a disability advocate in your area. Also, I would phone any organizations in your area that is involved with autism, they will likely know the names or have connects with any advocacy groups or useful social workers.