Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 7:34 pm

Anyone here fluent in sign language?

It has fascinated me always - don't know why but it seems fascinating like a secret code. I learned some basic signs and can do a little but am thinking about taking a class and really learning. I don't have a reason other than curiosity, I have very good hearing and no one in my family is deaf.

Is there any difference in sign language as an NT or Aspie? Are there signs that are intuitive or you don't 'get' if you're AS or is it very straight forward and logical?

-- Emerson

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2010, 7:51 pm

I'm fairly fluent in both American Sign Language (ASL) and Signing Exact English (SEE). Initially I learned them on a lark with a girl that I was dating. It was our own fun special language that we used when we were out in public but wanted to have a private conversation. Now days though, I work with developmentally disabled adults, so sign language has ended up being fairly useful. I didn't really have any problems learning any of it. But it helped having someone else to use it with, using it makes you remember it much better.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 8:23 pm

I learned some ASL when I worked with some deaf people and 2 of us hearing people decided to teach ourselves sign using a book during lunch break. We could ask any question or practice with our deaf coworkers. I agree it's much easier with other people to practice with, but at home I would sign the dialog from TV shows I was watching. I speak sign much better than I read sign because of the extra signing practice. You could also practice reading sign by watching signed TV shows like the religious broadcasts with the sign translator at the bottom of the screen or some political debates, but it's best to have a signing buddy to practice on. I'd always been fascinated by sign, same as you. Good luck in your studying!

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 9:17 pm

Is there a demand for people who can sign - as in a possible career?

-- Emerson

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

13 Apr 2010, 9:23 pm

KaliMa wrote:
I speak sign much better than I read sign because of the extra signing practice. I'd always been fascinated by sign, same as you. Good luck in your studying!

I, too, sign better than I read sign due to solo practice. I started learning signs when I was 10. My interests grew after I befriended a deaf girl when I was 12. When I was 14 I took Signed English at the community college (I was allowed to audit the class because it was taught by my friend's interpreter). When I went away to college I took ASL for two years.

I would say. SEE is easier to learn because it is essentially English in signed form. ASL is a language of its own, has its own grammar, etc... I enjoy ASL immensely, though. It is a very expressive language.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 9:43 pm

When I was a teenager, I became friends with a deaf girl. So I taught myself the ABC's and she taught me some basics. I love using sign language, it's fun. I have used it a few times as an adult. And I would really enjoy taking classes to learn more myself.

Taupey

Last edited by Taupey on 13 Apr 2010, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 9:46 pm

I prefer visual forms of communications such as text or sign. However, there are very few people who have the inclination to learn signing.

Last edited by cyberscan on 14 Apr 2010, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 1:31 am

me almost fluet in sign, i rely it on for most of my communication, its an amazing language and recomend anybody learn it.. it took me 5 years to even put a small sentence together, and 6 years to even be where i am today with it. def worth the while, the only differnece with sign in nts and ppl with asd, is that nts dont have to work as hard with eye contact, body language, and readinb etween the lines, while asd ppl have to work ten times harder for all of the above, i still struggle with it all big time, but got to a point i can get my point across somewhat through sign. and to answer ur question above about working in sign, yesss, interpreters are a big demand, dont let anybody tell ya diff. if ur fascinated in, go do it! a wonderful language think the world should all know!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 1:33 am

bonuspoints wrote:
KaliMa wrote:
I speak sign much better than I read sign because of the extra signing practice. I'd always been fascinated by sign, same as you. Good luck in your studying!

I, too, sign better than I read sign due to solo practice. I started learning signs when I was 10. My interests grew after I befriended a deaf girl when I was 12. When I was 14 I took Signed English at the community college (I was allowed to audit the class because it was taught by my friend's interpreter). When I went away to college I took ASL for two years.

I would say. SEE is easier to learn because it is essentially English in signed form. ASL is a language of its own, has its own grammar, etc... I enjoy ASL immensely, though. It is a very expressive language.

yea i agree with exact english being easier, however in asl, all u need is one sign and that one sign can mean a whole bunch of things which is soo cool.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 2:41 am

Wonderful replies - thank you so much.

-- Emerson

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2010, 6:04 pm

I'm deaf, and fluent in ASL, SEE (Signing Exact English, with exception of not every signs are signed with the first letter of the word) and PSE (Pidgin Signed English, which is a bridge of ASL and SEE). I am a chronic abuser of the PSE, because it bridges the gap between the bad English of the ASL to the excellent English of the SEE.

I have only taught a few people a few signs over the years. I am not a good sign language teacher, IMO. I have very little patience and always feeling a little awkward with teaching signs to other people. I usually don't know where to start when teaching signs to other people.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 6:07 pm

You could teach them to sign "Hey - I'm an idiot!" and then tell them to make sure they use it to sign to any deaf person they see! :D

-- Emerson

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 6:24 pm

earthmom wrote:
You could teach them to sign "Hey - I'm an idiot!" and then tell them to make sure they use it to sign to any deaf person they see! :D

:lmao: :D

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2010, 6:36 pm

earthmom wrote:

I could, but I'd feel like a jackass for doing that. It is both funny and offensive. *shrugs* :wink:

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 7:48 pm

:) I know - I'm just being silly :D

-- Emerson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 7:50 pm

I'm not fluent in sigh language, but I am fluent in Cockney Rhyming Slang. :lol: