Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 2:53 pm

Who else has misophonia? It means hatred of sound and is a sensory based condition, so it's very common in autism.

How do you deal when you're constantly being triggered by harmless noises? Like, people have the right to chew, snap their fingers, clap out of amusement, vocal stim, etc. But ALL of those sounds set me off and put me in a state of constant rage.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 3:08 am

yep

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 3:17 am

Thankfully as long as I'm not subjected to dogs it's mostly not a problem.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 5:22 am

I have something like that going on, but I guess if it were that bad I'd never have become a musician or started buying and playing records. That makes me wonder what kind of noises are unpleasant to us, and whether it's really the type of noise or just the context that makes the difference.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 7:10 am

I had misophonia through my late childhood to early teenage years.
It was a manifestation of my mental health and emotional stability than the other way around.

It was bad enough to a point that sometime at puberty, it made me basically agoraphobic, mostly because it is born from my mental health issues and therefore even more worse sensory intolerance.

When I got better mental health, which took years for it to happen, the misophonia, along with many intolerances, were gone.

Never truly learnt how to cope with having misophonia.
Only that I learnt how to stop having misophonia myself.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 9:42 pm

What Is Misophonia?

Quote:
Misophonia is a disorder in which certain sounds trigger emotional or physiological responses that some might perceive as unreasonable given the circumstance. Those who have misophonia might describe it as when a sound “drives you crazy.” Their reactions can range from anger and annoyance to panic and the need to flee. The disorder is sometimes called selective sound sensitivity syndrome.

Individuals with misophonia often report they are triggered by oral sounds -- the noise someone makes when they eat, breathe, or even chew. Other adverse sounds include keyboard or finger tapping or the sound of windshield wipers. Sometimes a small repetitive motion is the cause -- someone fidgets, jostles you, or wiggles their foot.

Similarly, people with misophonia also say they often react to the visual stimuli that accompanies sounds, and may also respond intensely to repetitive motions. Researchers believe that those with misophonia may already have issues with how their brains filter sounds and that one of the features of “misophonic sounds” may be their repetitive noise. That repetition then exacerbates the other auditory processing problems.

The disorder appears to range from mild to severe. Individuals report a range of physiologic and emotional responses, with accompanying cognitions. If you have a mild reaction, you might feel:

Anxious
Uncomfortable
The urge to flee
Disgust
If your response is more severe, the sound in question might cause:

Rage
Anger
Hatred
Panic
Fear
Emotional distress

Barking dogs do these kind of things for me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 10:25 pm

Thanks for posting that definition ^. It's exactly what I would have said. I have rage attacks from quiet or repetitive sounds as described, and I have the kind related to movement. They both set me off, even in my own home. If my kids are walking back and forth past me doing laundry or something I can go into meltdown mode. If anyone is using the kitchen to cook I need to go two floors away and wear noise cancelling headphones just so I won't hear cutlery clanging or oven buttons beeping. Right now my daughter is elephant-footing in her bedroom above me and I'm ready to lose my brains so I have to go walk the dog with headphones on, in the rain no doubt. That's better than hearing footsteps which anyone else would disregard. My worst noise is crinkle from packaging, or even paper bags. I nearly decked my mother once for playing with a paper bag in the car when we had picked up one of her prescription medications. I really can't deal with crinkle. I'd honestly prefer to be shot by firing squad than hear it for even five minutes.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 10:49 pm

Idk I think I have features of that, but also light can bother me to. Like getting into adulthood I am better at handling unpleasant noise and light I don't like, but it still does bother me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 8:41 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Who else has misophonia? It means hatred of sound and is a sensory based condition, so it's very common in autism.

How do you deal when you're constantly being triggered by harmless noises? Like, people have the right to chew, snap their fingers, clap out of amusement, vocal stim, etc. But ALL of those sounds set me off and put me in a state of constant rage.
I have been Misophonic since I was ten years old.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 8:44 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I have something like that going on, but I guess if it were that bad I'd never have become a musician or started buying and playing records. That makes me wonder what kind of noises are unpleasant to us, and whether it's really the type of noise or just the context that makes the difference.

In Misophonia, it is specifically the type of noise not the context

Wreck It Ralph