Do you look autistic/weird to other people?

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2010, 3:50 pm

I'm not very self aware. I don't know what others see me as, I can't even picture myself in my mind. I have been told that I am easy to read and have had acquaintances tell me I looked stressed or whatever when I really was feeling that way.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 4:44 pm

I'm pretty sure I look weird to most people. I have been told personally that I'm weird a few times, but when I'm in public often I will look lost, and often the behaviours that I do are rather weird. It's actually weird that sometimes I do care if I look weird, while sometimes it doesn't bother me at all! :?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2010, 5:08 pm

no idea, its best not to worry, as i get anxious easily

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 6:28 pm

I used to be called a weirdo, by one of the neighbourhood kids, all the time.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 12:29 pm

I doubt most people would peg me as autistic, but I definitely strike people as different. I don't think I really ever get the "zoned out" look that others describe. My weirdness lies more along the public dancing / shuffling, etc. that I often do.

Growing up, my peers thought I was "weird," my teachers thought I was "unusual," and my mom thought I was "unique."

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm

When I was a kid people thought I was weird. I got made fun of a lot, all the way up until 11th grade. I'm better at hiding it now, though it's probably still obvious when it comes to small talk.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 12:57 pm

I know I look. Even if I go to unknown doctor because of cold or sth typical and I don't do odd things, they ask me Do you take any psycho-meds? Have you any disease? or our best known Are you ok? If I go to hospital to give blood, they also ask me about the same things.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Hidden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2010, 1:42 pm

I'm pretty sure I look perfectly normal. No one can tell I am an Aspie.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 1:46 pm

Other people look weird to me, especially the normal folk. They look like Sid from Flushed Away, with their emotions hidden.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 1:50 pm

People often look kind of shocked or do a double take when they meet me in the street or wherever. Something about me obviously strikes them as not right. I'm not sure, but it seems as though they find me rather 'uncanny', like I shouldn't be able to exist in this dimension or something. I don't know. That sounds mad, but I'm posting anyway.

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2010, 4:59 pm

y-pod wrote:
I walked around the whole border without falling off , while humming happy songs. :D

Willard wrote:
I'm 50 and still like to ride shopping carts across the parking lot.

I'm 44 and I do both of these things... actually, I prefer someone to push me on the cart (my husband is willing to do it, bless him).

I rock when I hear music I like.

I'm usually twiddling or twirling something; I twirl ambidextrously but mostly twiddle right-handed.

So yeah, I think I generally look a little weird. :lol:

In a rational world, those who act in rational ways would be considered normal, and those who act in irrational ways that they somehow decided were "right" would be the freaks.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 8:24 pm

there is something weird about my eyes. I think it's positive but I don't really know how to quantify it other than that.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 10:06 pm

Other people, especially children and older adults, seem to sense that there's something "different" about me. Sometimes they even ask my mom about it (I always go shopping with her). I don't know exactly what it is about my face or body language that gives away the fact that I'm autistic.

And then there's the running. I have an inexplicable urge to run when I get overly excited (or other strong emotions such as fear or anger). There's a park right outside my back yard, so I go out there to do my running. A lot of people seem to stare or laugh at me, but I ignore them. I can't help my need to run; it's something I have to do. If people can't understand that, then too bad, I'm doing it whether they like it or not. Besides, it's a public park, I have just as many rights to run around there as anybody else. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 10:34 pm

Just this past Friday, I was having pizza at that strip mall, that I live behind. A little 5 year old girl was making fun of my face. She looked at me, she squinted her eyes, slightly and than she stuck out her bottom lip. Her dad was taking her into the pizza parlour, and than she stood between two yellow posts, and did the same thing, again. I didn't think it was funny, at the time but I think it's funny, now. :lol:

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 11:57 pm

Callista wrote:
I've had people assume ADHD more often than any other correct assumption (they don't guess autism as often, probably because I can talk the hind leg off a donkey).

Omg can I use that? :lmao:

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 2:36 am

Perhaps that explains my history of strangers trying to "save my soul", and striking up religious discussions with me?

Maybe I appeared distraught, or worried, or something.

Who knows, body language is stupid, I'm standing/sitting in the most comfortable way I can, don't read into it too much.