Does anyone ever want to punch a green peace kid in the face

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2010, 6:17 am

There are many people concerned about the ecology and global warming, who quietly make efforts to decrease their carbon footprint by not travelling by air, using the car less, etc. Like myself.

Just don't let the evangelists put you off this important cause!

There is no need to get angry!

For any evangelists, whether Jehovah's Witnesses, fundraisers, etc, if you don't want their attention, just ignore them, walk away, say that you are busy. If they knock at your door, say that you are busy (or one of several classic excuses) and close the door.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:30 am

Ardent_Eccentric wrote:
I live in Denver Colorado, and when ever I walk through downtown on the 16th street I have between 3 or 4 green peace representative rudely asking me for 3 minutes of my time, and if I care about the earth or environment and do I want to do something about global worming .

Some reason the way they aggressively approach and interact with people on the street is extraordinarily agitating. And it fires up some innate defense instinct in me that makes me want to punch them in the face!

Their technique of approach seems to be universal to all the green peace representatives in town, and it seems to be quite counter productive to their causes because it really pisses a lot of people off who are approached by them.

Seriously…. now that I have experienced these representatives aggressive approach tactics. I now want to club baby seals, dispose of trash on the street,dump radioactive waste in rivers and est.… just to spite them.

Does anyone feel the same way?

those people that use aggressive means to try and get you to sign up for things like charities drive me completely crazy.
It just turns people away.
And when it comes to religion, Why is it that some people resort to abuse and the whole "if you don't covert to my religion you will go to hell" thing? instead of just mentioning the positive aspects of the religion?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:40 am

I wouldn't do that, to anybody.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:38 am

I loathe pushy people in general.

I was out in the city once and these godawful girls with high pitched voices came up to me bleating 'Children in neeeeeeeeeeeeed'. I didn't have any spare change on me so I just stepped out of their path, and they came really close to the point that they all but pinned me up against the wall.

I refused to make eye contact and pushed past and walked off.

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2010, 7:47 am

These kids may or may not care tenderly about polar bears drowning in the Artic, baby seals getting skinned alive, etc. They behave the way they do because of their job.

They are trained by their job to be rude and pushy. I fund raised for a cause once. The first day I was polite and used a soft sell, and I made about 70 dollars, but my team leaders complained that I was too quiet and not following the script. These people need to follow a script, and if they deviate they get to hear the complaints of their bosses until they conform. I tried to follow the script, but I kept forgetting parts of it, and had no conviction in it, because it was all fakery, so I made no money and they fired me. They literally hound you until you follow the script to the letter.

Evangelist folks are different. They are true believers. Canvassing for funds is an industry, often run outside of the cause by a group called Grassroots Campaigns, which organizes fundraising teams for many nonprofits.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Grassr ... 149346.htm

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 8:41 am

me and tammy were once at a trivia night at the tavern, and our table could seat 4, so 2 people asked to sit with us and i was annoyed, but i had to let them sit there because the bar staff told me to.

they were greenies. during a break, they introduced themselves and started to talk about what they do to "save the planet".
they seemed exaggeratedly forceful about their opinions.
they were talking about saving electricity and using green bags instead of plastic shopping bags etc.

i told them that i have removed myself from the electricity grid completely.
they asked how did i power my home, and i told them that i bought a cummins diesel engine from a truck, and i ran it all day to generate my electricity.

they moved to another table as the place was thinning out because it was after 10.

i had more to say if they had stayed. here is how i help to reduce my footprint

in order to the save on hot water, i use only plastic plates and utensils so i can dispose of them after each meal without having to wash them up.

i am also mindful of contributing to landfill that increases carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, so i incinerate them in my incinerator everyday to save on landfill, and then i package the ashes into the green bags i buy and put them in the bin out front. (one "green bag" takes as much energy to make as about 1000 plastic shopping bags).

i do not use air conditioning because it is energy intensive, and instead, i have refrigerators in my house with the doors removed, to cool the place down.

but i also have to have a system of exhaust fans to suck the hot air from the backs of the fridges and expel it through the ceiling.
and i have rigged up a small fan that is spun by the escaping hot air, and it generates 30 watts of electricity which i capture and use.

in wooded areas where protesters are railing against the advancement of logging companies, i wish to buy as much land as i can and burn all the trees to the ground to prevent the logging companies moving in.

if i was rich, i would buy as many aerosol cans containing cfc's as i can, and i would burn them in a big bon fire to destroy them so they can do no further harm.

i drive a powerful car because i need to go as fast as i can so as to reduce the time i spend on the road creating pollution.

whatever. i wish they had stayed at my table.

this is possibly a poor quality post as my mind is not clear at the moment.

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2010, 8:57 am

^^Nice

aspartame
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2010, 9:39 am

I hate those pushy streetcorner activists too, even if I support their cause. They're all over the place in summer and nearly impossible to avoid. What a dumb job. I've found three methods to deter them, aside from just saying "no thanks", which you might also find useful.

1. If I see them in advance, I take out my cell phone and have a pretend conversation as I walk. They're not obnoxious enough to interrupt. Be careful not to get so distracted by your act that you walk into traffic or something like that.

2. It also works to walk really closely behind another person. This way, when that person says "no thank you", they're effectively answering for you, as well. Don't make eye contact with the activist, and act like you're concentrating on something else, perhaps keeping up with your "companion".

3. Sometimes, I just put on my best unapproachable face, which makes them unlikely to speak to me. Once I recreated this look in the mirror after I got home, and I looked incredibly angry and scary. :twisted: Just try to look like you'll actually punch them in the face if they try to talk to you, haha.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2010, 9:49 am

I despise the in-your-face approach. You can believe in whatever you want, from god to aliens to Cthulhu, save the planet, etc. just don't try to shove it down my throat.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 9:57 am

I have had to deal with that before. At my college, they are very active. The first time I was confronted, I listened to what they had to say, and when asked if I could contribute, I politely said I was unable to at the time, and was polite to them.

It's not that I don't care about the environment, I just think that one person can only do so much. And Greenpeace had committed terrorist acts in the 1980s (which resulted in the French navy sinking the Rainbow Warrior).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2010, 10:18 am

Tim Tex, can you elaborate on any incident that Greenpeace would be "terrorist"?

I think the bombing (by French agents) of the Rainbow Warrior was related to non violent direct action, of the Rainbow Warrior sailing into the French nuclear test area in the French Polynesia in 1985.

Just because I holds opinions for green issues, does not mean that I am pushy, or that I "deserve to be punched in the face".

I would say this to refute any misinformation on this forum relating to Greenpeace, or any other non violent activist organizations.

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2010, 10:40 am

And on topic, street fundraisers are sometimes referred to as "chuggers" (charity muggers).

This is an agressive fundraising technique that I find annoying.

Hence I walk in a way as to evade being approached. When I see one in the street from a distance, I time my walk so as to pass him/her when the fundraiser is engaged with another unfortunate passerby.

Failing that, I walk briskly straight on staring straight ahead as if very busy.

If the fundraiser have the affrontery to step in front of me or call out to me, I usually give the classic excuse... "Excuse me, I am busy shopping!"

The no 2 excuse might be... "I just donated to your charity yesterday /the other day /online".

Similar with evangelists who thrust a gospel tract or loudly ask "Are you saved?". The classic excuses is... "I am already a Christian". If they start to preach eg "those who profess to be Christan is not always saved", just walk away with the "I am busy, I am shopping".

This excuse will usually throw them off... "I am a Member of the Church of the Sub Genius"

Have fun with your beliefs :)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 11:02 am

Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door and I never answer. I don't want to have to listen to their spiel, so I pretend like I'm not at home. People who sell magazines are especially annoying. Then, there are Mormons who do the same thing as Jehovahs, knocking door to door while I'm a non practicing Catholic like my dad and not interested in protestant religions.
The salesmen bug me.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 11:45 am

I am always tempted to respond 'Sorry, gotta get to a bathroom, I am about to vomit'...

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 12:53 pm

kreb1958 wrote:
And on topic, street fundraisers are sometimes referred to as "chuggers" (charity muggers).

This is an agressive fundraising technique that I find annoying.

Hence I walk in a way as to evade being approached. When I see one in the street from a distance, I time my walk so as to pass him/her when the fundraiser is engaged with another unfortunate passerby.

Failing that, I walk briskly straight on staring straight ahead as if very busy.

If the fundraiser have the affrontery to step in front of me or call out to me, I usually give the classic excuse... "Excuse me, I am busy shopping!"

The no 2 excuse might be... "I just donated to your charity yesterday /the other day /online".

Similar with evangelists who thrust a gospel tract or loudly ask "Are you saved?". The classic excuses is... "I am already a Christian". If they start to preach eg "those who profess to be Christan is not always saved", just walk away with the "I am busy, I am shopping".

This excuse will usually throw them off... "I am a Member of the Church of the Sub Genius"

Have fun with your beliefs :)

yeah, we get the churches at the fairs round here doing it. Most of them I dont mind, but the baptist churched tend to be very damn pushy to the point ill wear my black pants covered in chains as well as a slayer/dimmu borgir/satyricon shirt. That usually gets the point to them that I dont want to hear it. If that doesnt work if already done the hail satans (even though i am not into that, it does work sometimes). It usually shuts them right up and if they get to the point of physically touching me, lightly pushing them aside helps, and if that doesnt work, which it has only gotten that far once, a knee to the gut. That day I kinda bolted and avoided that area of the fair for the rest of the night.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 12:57 pm

b9 wrote:
me and tammy were once at a trivia night at the tavern, and our table could seat 4, so 2 people asked to sit with us and i was annoyed, but i had to let them sit there because the bar staff told me to.

they were greenies. during a break, they introduced themselves and started to talk about what they do to "save the planet".
they seemed exaggeratedly forceful about their opinions.
they were talking about saving electricity and using green bags instead of plastic shopping bags etc.

i told them that i have removed myself from the electricity grid completely.
they asked how did i power my home, and i told them that i bought a cummins diesel engine from a truck, and i ran it all day to generate my electricity.

they moved to another table as the place was thinning out because it was after 10.

i had more to say if they had stayed. here is how i help to reduce my footprint

in order to the save on hot water, i use only plastic plates and utensils so i can dispose of them after each meal without having to wash them up.

i am also mindful of contributing to landfill that increases carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, so i incinerate them in my incinerator everyday to save on landfill, and then i package the ashes into the green bags i buy and put them in the bin out front. (one "green bag" takes as much energy to make as about 1000 plastic shopping bags).

i do not use air conditioning because it is energy intensive, and instead, i have refrigerators in my house with the doors removed, to cool the place down.

but i also have to have a system of exhaust fans to suck the hot air from the backs of the fridges and expel it through the ceiling.
and i have rigged up a small fan that is spun by the escaping hot air, and it generates 30 watts of electricity which i capture and use.

in wooded areas where protesters are railing against the advancement of logging companies, i wish to buy as much land as i can and burn all the trees to the ground to prevent the logging companies moving in.

if i was rich, i would buy as many aerosol cans containing cfc's as i can, and i would burn them in a big bon fire to destroy them so they can do no further harm.

i drive a powerful car because i need to go as fast as i can so as to reduce the time i spend on the road creating pollution.

whatever. i wish they had stayed at my table.

this is possibly a poor quality post as my mind is not clear at the moment.
hahaha i cant see anymore because of tears :lol: