Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:54 am

I used to be able to listen to iron maiden for days on end, nowadays its either Dream Theater or Tool (love their Laturalus Album)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Althea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2010, 8:35 am

I can play the same song over and over again in my head all day quite happily... well, as long as it's a song I like, sometimes i get one stuck in my head that drives me insane, and I cant seem to get rid of it, thats not good, but if its a nice song, it actually puts me in a cheerier mood having it playing in my head :D

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 9:27 am

I listen to music all they day long. It's my greatest love :heart:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 10:26 am

Every now and then, I'll get stuck on a song or a particular CD -- usually just one or two songs on the CD, so I'm skipping forward and back between them constantly. It'll last a few days or a month, then I won't listen to anything but what comes on the radio for a while.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 11:10 am

LostNFound wrote:
dustintorch wrote:
LostNFound wrote:
When I'm alone I've often played a single song over at least several times. I'm also prone to creating a mix cd with a usual suspects list of artists and will play that exclusively for weeks whenever driving. If I was blessed with more music I'm sure I'd entertain a bit more variety. I still haven't fully recovered from losing my Beatles White Album or running over *accidentally* Rubber Soul. I must replace those soon.

It's ironic really, because I frequently gripe about the craptastic playlists on local radio. We have a half dozen country and hip/hop stations, which just never was my thing. Two classic rock stations that must play Sweet Home Alabama *great song, great band, but ENOUGH* every 15 minutes on the hour. And yet it's the rare treat to hear a Beatles diddy or any of the other fine classics from such a momentous potential playlist. And of course preeminent college/MTV style station for 'people that really should just admit they don't enjoy music". The one pretty excellent indie rock station we had went the way of the dodo. No real market for that crap when you have to get the Gaga out there.

I love music and I LOVE the Gaga. She's actually someone who I play over and over. Her songs get stuck in my head and never go away. I don't like the way some people treat pop music. I feel like there is nothing wrong with music that's over produced and sung by singers who aren't that talented, as long as the end result sounds good. I'm NOT saying Gaga isn't talented. She sings better than most pop artists out there. Some of them aren't talented, yet their songs consistenly get stuck in my head. I would never see some of them live though.

Makes me think of what Rob said in High Fidelity. "Do I listen to pop music because I'm depressed, or am I depressed because I listen to pop music?"

I like pop music. Just good pop music, lol. Seriously though you could have just as easily referred to many bands as pop. It may indeed be popluar but all I hear is dance/club music. . I admit I've had "Bad Romance" stuck in my head many times. But that's hardly a compliment. I'd take the Kesha girl over her.

I realize I'm uncomfortably close to one of those a*holes who only define whats worth listening to by personal taste. I just like music that I can feel the passion in. It does't have to be pretty or even have a helluva lot of rhythum and beat. But I have to feel the music. The White Stripes or Nirvana sure as heck didn't/don't pump out the sweetest melodies in a typical sense but I really feel them putting theirself into it. I had a stint where I really, really loved Crystal Method years ago. I once got off on old school NIN. But I'm an old man at 32 and The Beatles glorify modern music for me. Hendrix, SRV, CCR, E.Smith, REM. They really did a fine job summing up so many possibilities and angles beautifully over their career. All this contemporary dance/hip hop is so awfully sterile and cold somehow. Oh that gremlin I cannot stand. Lil' Wayne. And Soulja Boy! YUCK! And all the auto tuning. I think they'd sound better awful than auto tuned awful.

Forgive me if I'm driving this into the ground. Lady Gaga is one of my special interests. But I'm just completely surprised that you prefer music with passion, but then take Ke$ha over Gaga! Gaga has about 10 times the passion that Ke$ha has when she sings. Nothing against her, I like some of her songs. I don't think she's talented though as a singer, maybe as a songwriter. Gaga writes her music too though and it's infinitely better.

I define good music by music I can't stop singing. I've never had a song I don't like stuck in my head, it just doesn't happen. Maybe once or twice actually but I can make it go away if I want to. I just feel that good songs are the ear worms (which I'm highly susceptible to) that lodge themselves in your head and you can't get them out. Lady Gaga, for some reason know the formula to make songs like that. I actually have a suspiscion that she's either OCD, or even possibly on the spectrum. (wears sunglasses all the time so she doesn't have to make eye contact?)

BTW I didn't like that song Superman by Soulja Boy, it made me angry actually to hear it on the radio.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 11:52 am

I often listen to the same song over and over, sometimes for a couple of days.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2010, 12:10 pm

I never listen to the same song over and over, but definitely the same record or band. For almost 8 months now I've played Placebo at a 95% rate, it's a total of six albums. Since I always have my head phones on in public it comes up to between two and three hours of Placebo a day. I find it soothing, but I can't quite describe why. Occasionally I'll put on another song, but only if I'm in a mood about something.

I don't like new music. Even when I get a new Placebo album I have to force myself to listen to it. I can't enjoy it until I recognise the songs and they're predictable.

The last song I listened to before turning the music off, or the one that would have followed, is on my brain for hours afterwards.

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2010, 1:04 pm

Once I get a new song that I absolutely LOVE, I'll listen to it on repeat until I've memorized it, and then I just listen to it because I can't get it out of my head and for the melody. But yeah...some songs on my itunes have been played over 100 times...all of which were my obsession at one point.

SonofStorms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2010, 4:46 pm

ya i listen to a lot of music...but there are certain songs i listen to more than others....on my MP3 player there are about 10 songs that stay on it all the time while others get rotated fair amount...but even then the songs that i change come form a list that most people who know me could identify it.......i usually try new music once in a while......pick up new favs that way......even on my laptop i'll have videos downloaded and playing while i'm running other programs....wow i seem to have gone off a bit here...sry.....but sum it up yes i do repeat a fair number of songs over and over......i do the same with movies or tv shows that i have on dvd as well.

Hidden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2010, 4:50 pm

I find myself listening to the same song for a long time quite often — I just like it that way. I tend more often to repeat a certain album for many months.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 9:23 pm

I do this every now and then.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2010, 10:19 pm

Ha, I do this ALL the time!

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2010, 1:51 am

DustinTorch, it's okay if you like the Gaga. We all have our guilty pleasures. Or not so openly guilty. There's definitely bands and songs that I just can't qualifty or quantify why I like them. Even coming from bands I deeply admire. The Beatles had "Rocky Raccoon", "Yellow Submarine", and "Why Don't We Just Do It (In the Road)" after all. And that's just naming a few. If you believe Gaga a genuine talent, fine.

Couldn't begin to argue with you between Kesha and Gaga. Just throwing that out there based on what little I've heard. My wife likes both but has begun to love Kesha. And she's someone who really seems to have genuine appreciation for music even if not always in line with my likings. Just one of those a*holes I am.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 2:53 am

kwilky wrote:
Hi there. I was curious if anyone else finds themselves listening to the same music over and over again. I've been listening to the same song for about 12-13 hours straight today. No joke. Ok fine, I took a couple small breaks to get food and such but no longer than 30 minutes combined. I'm assuming this would absolutely drive a "normal" person insane but I do it often and don't see a problem. I don't plan on stopping until I go to bed and I'll probably continue with the same song tomorrow.

Do you find yourself doing this or other things repetitively? This might be more of an OCD thing than an autism thing. I'm really not sure.

yes. it's funny to me that I set a personal record with this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRw0-4-zU8

I don't know what it was about this song. And there are a few albums I have listened to an obscene number of times in my life, Fontanelle and Spanking Machine by babes in toyland and Binge and Purge by Lunachicks and Rid of Me by PJ Harvey were like air for me for years.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 1:02 pm

I do this all the time. I love it. It's why I have to listen to my music on headphones. My parents thought I was insane or something when I would have the same song playing over and over and over and over and over again.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2010, 4:40 pm

kwilky wrote:
Hi there. I was curious if anyone else finds themselves listening to the same music over and over again. I've been listening to the same song for about 12-13 hours straight today. No joke. Ok fine, I took a couple small breaks to get food and such but no longer than 30 minutes combined. I'm assuming this would absolutely drive a "normal" person insane but I do it often and don't see a problem. I don't plan on stopping until I go to bed and I'll probably continue with the same song tomorrow.

Do you find yourself doing this or other things repetitively? This might be more of an OCD thing than an autism thing. I'm really not sure.

Thank you for posting this!! I've been doing it my entire music-listening life, and never knew anyone else that did it too. I also never made the connection to Aspie-ism, which is silly really, but it's nice to finally realize it.

In a rational world, those who act in rational ways would be considered normal, and those who act in irrational ways that they somehow decided were "right" would be the freaks.