Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 9:39 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
[. Any shmoe can gut a tuna; live with it, you can't deny it.

Actually, I don't think I could do that job. It takes a lot of skill to stand in that stench and heat and make sure the tuna is deboned and skinless, plus, they work exceptionally quickly. Have you ever tried skinning and loining a tuna in a place with a very strong fish odor and a hundred degree heat in two minutes? Try doing hundreds of those in one day and then doing something else if you finish early. It takes more skill and stanima than you realize.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 9:43 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
[. Any shmoe can gut a tuna; live with it, you can't deny it.

Actually, I don't think I could do that job. It takes a lot of skill to stand in that stench and heat and make sure the tuna is deboned and skinless, plus, they work exceptionally quickly. Have you ever tried skinning and loining a tuna in a place with a very strong fish odor and a hundred degree heat in two minutes? Try doing hundreds of those in one day and then doing something else if you finish early. It takes more skill and stanima than you realize.

True, but you're also basing it on the living standards we have here in the USA; kinda can't, chief. To a point, the folks over there are really used to it.

Also, speed at doing one's job--even a low tier one--is becoming very important over on this side of the world as it is.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 10:02 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
ok, um..that's not really injustice, and here's why: you're comparing the standards--I'm guessing--of a 1st world country to that of a 3rd world country; I wouldn't recommend that.

Don't forget that the dollar they're getting paid is worth a lot more to them than one would believe.

You also have to consider the rules of supply & demand; there's a lot of different economic factors that go into it.
It's true that a dollar can buy somewhat more in a developing country, but those wages still mean poverty. According to the World Bank, 1.4 billion people were living in "extreme poverty" in 2005, and it's been getting worse. Over 800 million people live in urban slums in appalling conditions.Those are huge numbers. Arguing they could just somehow get a better job is just not realistic.

It's true that the law of supply and demand applies, but that doesn't mean it's not unjust. Most people's station in life is determined by the situation they were born in. A kid born in an urban slum in desperate poverty can't go and learn job skills. He's too busy doing things like scavenging in dumps for metal he can resell.

Meanwhile there are people living in mansions and guzzling champagne. Did those people earn that money? Most are just in lucky circumstances. And what's worse, they are making their money on the backs of the hardworking people making measly wages, because their work is what enriches corporations and their stockholders.

Capitalism is the norm, but it is also profoundly unjust.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 10:31 pm

bee33 wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
ok, um..that's not really injustice, and here's why: you're comparing the standards--I'm guessing--of a 1st world country to that of a 3rd world country; I wouldn't recommend that.

Don't forget that the dollar they're getting paid is worth a lot more to them than one would believe.

You also have to consider the rules of supply & demand; there's a lot of different economic factors that go into it.
It's true that a dollar can buy somewhat more in a developing country, but those wages still mean poverty. According to the World Bank, 1.4 billion people were living in "extreme poverty" in 2005, and it's been getting worse. Over 800 million people live in urban slums in appalling conditions.Those are huge numbers. Arguing they could just somehow get a better job is just not realistic.

It's true that the law of supply and demand applies, but that doesn't mean it's not unjust. Most people's station in life is determined by the situation they were born in. A kid born in an urban slum in desperate poverty can't go and learn job skills. He's too busy doing things like scavenging in dumps for metal he can resell.

Meanwhile there are people living in mansions and guzzling champagne. Did those people earn that money? Most are just in lucky circumstances. And what's worse, they are making their money on the backs of the hardworking people making measly wages, because their work is what enriches corporations and their stockholders.

Capitalism is the norm, but it is also profoundly unjust.

I hate to tell you, but this sounds like a really biased argument that indirectly backs "victimhood".

That mentality will not get you anywhere; maybe on food stamps for a while, but that's about it. How do you figure they're just in lucky circumstances? I'm busting my ass every day trying to get my business off the ground so I can be in the wealthier class.

This honestly sounds like a certain legendary quote: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

And I hate to tell you this...that was said by Karl Marx; perhaps you've heard of him-- the founder of Communism.

and I trust you probably aren't aware of how he hoped to implement quite a big chunk of his plans.....

Look if I want to get into a political debate, I'll go into the Political forum with this; I have no desire to. When I talk about injustice, I'm referring to how people are treated in regards to how society claims it treats everybody, regardless of how it actually does...not some political propaganda; you can find loads of that in that forum.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 11:20 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I hate to tell you, but this sounds like a really biased argument that indirectly backs "victimhood".

That mentality will not get you anywhere; maybe on food stamps for a while, but that's about it. How do you figure they're just in lucky circumstances? I'm busting my ass every day trying to get my business off the ground so I can be in the wealthier class.

This honestly sounds like a certain legendary quote: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

And I hate to tell you this...that was said by Karl Marx; perhaps you've heard of him-- the founder of Communism.

and I trust you probably aren't aware of how he hoped to implement quite a big chunk of his plans.....

Look if I want to get into a political debate, I'll go into the Political forum with this; I have no desire to. When I talk about injustice, I'm referring to how people are treated in regards to how society claims it treats everybody, regardless of how it actually does...not some political propaganda; you can find loads of that in that forum.
Your argument just doesn't make any sense, particularly from a global perspective, which is what this discussion (which was not started by me) is centered on. When billions of people live in desperate poverty, that's a systemic problem, not one that can be solved by somehow believing that billions of individuals can in some nebulous way will themselves to work harder than they already do.

And Karl Marx in no way advocated communism as it was later implemented by the Soviet Union, China, and Cuba.

You started out by saying one needed to know more about this issue to discuss it, but you don't seem to like it when someone who has actually studied the issue in depth enters the discussion... :wink:

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2010, 11:22 pm

In response to the title/OP: Yes, doesn't everyone, AS and NT alike? Is there really anyone out there who likes injustice? :\

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 11:23 pm

bee33 wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

Your argument just doesn't make any sense, particularly from a global perspective, which is what this discussion (which was not started by me) is centered on. When billions of people live in desperate poverty, that's a systemic problem, not one that can be solved by somehow believing that billions of individuals can in some nebulous way will themselves to work harder than they already do.

And Karl Marx in no way advocated communism as it was later implemented by the Soviet Union, China, and Cuba.

You started out by saying one needed to know more about this issue to discuss it, but you don't seem to like it when someone who has actually studied the issue in depth enters the discussion... :wink:

they live in desperate poverty because of choices they make. What about those that don't? So, those that do automatically were just doing things right and somehow got screwed, because those that don't just somehow "cheated the system"?

Yeah, I'm bailing from this before it heads into the territory I see it heading into; this honestly should no longer even be in this forum; it should be in the political subcategory...

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 11:54 pm

The Doctor82 wrote:

Quote:
they live in desperate poverty because of choices they make. What about those that don't? So, those that do automatically were just doing things right and somehow got screwed, because those that don't just somehow "cheated the system"?

You're kidding right? Do you seriously believe this or are you just grasping at straws to rationalize the injustices of capitalism?

First of all...you're (unintentionally i'm sure) implying that you have singlehandedly solved the age-old debate between free will vs. determinism with your use of "choices".

I'm sure you can't be presumptuous enough to claim you're CERTAIN humans have free will.

So until you are certain....your argument here can't even get off the ground.

Unless of course you want to revert to pure social Darwinism a la Francis Galton.

If so....you might wish to consider the non-economic ways in which social Darwinism could trample YOU underfoot.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 12:06 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Michhsta wrote:
Oh yes, most strongly do I hate injustice, to the point where I have put myself in danger.

Many years ago I lived 2 doors down from a domestic violence situation. I used to hear this person yelling and shouting and things being broken, and then screams and running through the house.....sounded like a war zone in there.

Then I found out that there were children in the house as well. This rioting went on quite regularly, and one night the screaming changed pitch and I rang the police. I was very worried for the wife and the kids. I found out later that they were married and it was his voice I always heard. The police came, but the wife did nothing about it.

So, the next time it happened I went over there with a crow bar and pounded on the door. I told him that if he didn't stop, I would visit him in his sleep and haunt him for the rest of his life, I was so angry at the injustice, the bullying, the idea that he thought he could just put his family in harms way. The police payed me a visit, because they said I threatened him, and I didn't deny it. They said that he had appeared scared and nervous when reporting me......and I said "So he should, he should be very scared, so DO something about it"........and they said that what I did was very dangerous and yada yada........so what? I never heard a peep out of him again after that........mission accomplished.

Mics

Yeah um...other than calling the police about the noise dude, I hate to tell you that it really wasn't your place to get involved, and you could've been sued by the very family you tried to protect for that.

It's one of the many reasons I never get involved.

Again, the "Hollywood" ending is you get involved, and the family thanks you more than anything. That's unfortunately only Hollywood magic though.

I am aware of the reality, "dude".........but its when people stand by and do nothing, thats when people get hurt. I questioned my involvement then as I would do now. I have a 15 year old son to protect as I did then. I just refused to live next to a person who treated his own family like refuse......

So, I would do it again. And........sue me. Why not? And the family probably hated me for it.......but at least the violence stopped.

Mics

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2010, 12:37 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Study the 48 Laws of Power. Don't actually follow them, but remind yourself that they do; once you learn them, you'll know how you can use what idiocies they follow to your advantage :)

On your recommendation, I looked it up; it's GREAT stuff, it explains so much!! Thanks!! :D

In a rational world, those who act in rational ways would be considered normal, and those who act in irrational ways that they somehow decided were "right" would be the freaks.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:39 am

Injustice and intervention topic

I refuse to be a bystander--and i have alerted police and others in cases where I think something needs to be done, if I could not intervene directly and do something.

If I was in a country where the police could not be trusted, I would join an underground movement. years of reading about genocides and otther political mass murders have taught me that being a bystander in the face of injustice is akin to being a perpetrator. The Edmund Burke quote about good people doing nothing is apt here. See the story below.

In the news recently there was the story of a homeless amn who rushed to the aid of a woman being mugged by some creep who then turned on the homeless man and stabbed him, whereupon he dropped to the sidewalk, mortally injured. All this was caught on a security camera. Twenty five people passed by his unresponsive body. He lay dying until perhaps being noticed by some random person who called for an ambulance, but by then, it was too late and he was dead. :cry:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:45 am

sartresue wrote:

I refuse to be a bystander--and i have alerted police and others in cases where I think something needs to be done, if I could not intervene directly and do something.

If I was in a country where the police could not be trusted, I would join an underground movement. years of reading about genocides and otther political mass murders have taught me that being a bystander in the face of injustice is akin to being a perpetrator. The Edmund Burke quote about good people doing nothing is apt here. See the story below.

In the news recently there was the story of a homeless amn who rushed to the aid of a woman being mugged by some creep who then turned on the homeless man and stabbed him, whereupon he dropped to the sidewalk, mortally injured. All this was caught on a security camera. Twenty five people passed by his unresponsive body. He lay dying until perhaps being noticed by some random person who called for an ambulance, but by then, it was too late and he was dead. :cry:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:49 am

sartresue wrote:

There's a thread on this matter of the homeless man who was stabbed. There's a certain amount of "so what" attitudes there. I've expressed distatste for that view before and gotten yeah yeah yeah :roll: responses; but it doesn't change the fact that it can happen to you (editorial) and if it did your blase' attitude would change very quickly.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 11:59 am

No, I love injustice.

What a stupid question.