Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 9:43 am

I find it hard to comprehend the two autistic traits of intolerance towards injustice and lacking empathy. Maybe it is that my definitions are different, but I would expect empathy is a prerequisite to recognizing injustice.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 9:47 am

StuartN wrote:
I find it hard to comprehend the two autistic traits of intolerance towards injustice and lacking empathy. Maybe it is that my definitions are different, but I would expect empathy is a prerequisite to recognizing injustice.

In my very case it has nothing to do with empathy - my love for justice is based on purely rational and logical reasons because it's simply illogical to discriminate some social groups against and I hate illogical stuff.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

26 Apr 2010, 9:55 am

I am always bothered by injustice. If I see someone being treated in a manner I deem unfair, I will do what I can to help them. Unlike some of the other posters, however, I don't (usually) harbor resentment toward the perpetrators of the injustice. I see justice and fairness as highly subjective and so I do not like to impose my views on others whose views obviously differ from mine. I will help the "oppressed" but I am not out to tell people their belief system is wrong (who am I to act as judge).

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 10:29 am

Injustice, to put it simply, really ticks me off. I've gone through hell and back, and I can't stand to see any injustice or disrespect done to anyone.

The biggest problem of getting rid of severe injustice, is that it is either justice from another's point of view, nobody noticing, or the few that notice just not caring.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 12:34 pm

bee33 wrote:
One of the traits described in a list of female Aspie traits posted in another thread is "Hates injustice and hates to be misunderstood. This can incite anger and rage." I'm assuming this would apply to males as well.

I do think we have a heightened sense of social injustice because we experience so much of it in our own lives. It makes me angry to see others mistreated and beaten down, I've been the victim myself so many times.

I dislike terms like rage , though. It sounds too much like trying to use AS as an excuse for violent behavior. We do not need more stereotypes like that.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 12:57 pm

THE TROUBLE WITH INJUSTICE is that it requires a judge of the just and the unjust.

When I was twelve and studying religion, this was easy. Certain people (or even countries) could be considered Just or Unjust. Good or Evil, if you will. Such a simple black-and-white world was easy for the mind of a twelve year old. This has become more difficult with maturity.

The irony of this situation is that, because of our gift/curse, we are prone to causing all manner of social injustices and being completely oblivious to it. Much like the bull in a china shop analogy. Does this mean we should be forgiven because we know not what we do? Does this mean we are somehow "just" if we are only narrowly aware of the "injustices" perpetrated against us?

And this is how conflict starts on a micro or macro level. One person becoming angry over some perceived injustice. This is why it is always better to seek to defuse your rage.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 2:40 pm

Meow101 wrote:
I despise injustice in all forms, and my 12 year old who I think also has AS, is as bad/good as I am about it. She and I have both gotten in trouble at school for interfering when someone else was being treated unfairly. I had to have her father talk to her about that, because I had nothing to say...except congrats, you're brave (and that would not be ok with the school).
Yes, I feel that way too. I think it's my job to be the righteous knight avenging wrongs... but the world doesn't seem to agree! :D

Thanks for all your responses. Like some of you said, I too get really steamed about terrible injustices like overwhelming poverty when a few have so much, oppression of various groups, racism, and so on. And I too sometimes have to avoid watching news programs because they are too upsetting.

But to some extent I find those injustices a bit easier to bear because they are shared, and a lot of other people are concerned about them as well. So I end up getting really upset over the really petty, small, everyday injustices because no one else cares about them, which is sort of backwards. :)

I've had problems in the past freaking out at people for being nasty, and it just got me in trouble and made feel embarrassed afterward, even though I still think I was right. It's one of my biggest problems in trying to get along in the world, that I don't know when something will just stick in my craw and I will react in a way that is considered socially inappropriate. So now I just tend to avoid people and situations that might get me steamed, but that leaves me out of doing a lot of things.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 3:31 pm

bee33 wrote:
Meow101 wrote:
I despise injustice in all forms, and my 12 year old who I think also has AS, is as bad/good as I am about it. She and I have both gotten in trouble at school for interfering when someone else was being treated unfairly. I had to have her father talk to her about that, because I had nothing to say...except congrats, you're brave (and that would not be ok with the school).
Yes, I feel that way too. I think it's my job to be the righteous knight avenging wrongs... but the world doesn't seem to agree! :D

Thanks for all your responses. Like some of you said, I too get really steamed about terrible injustices like overwhelming poverty when a few have so much, oppression of various groups, racism, and so on. And I too sometimes have to avoid watching news programs because they are too upsetting.

But to some extent I find those injustices a bit easier to bear because they are shared, and a lot of other people are concerned about them as well. So I end up getting really upset over the really petty, small, everyday injustices because no one else cares about them, which is sort of backwards. :)

I've had problems in the past freaking out at people for being nasty, and it just got me in trouble and made feel embarrassed afterward, even though I still think I was right. It's one of my biggest problems in trying to get along in the world, that I don't know when something will just stick in my craw and I will react in a way that is considered socially inappropriate. So now I just tend to avoid people and situations that might get me steamed, but that leaves me out of doing a lot of things.

Dude! I hear that! Oops, just checked gender: Dudette! I hear that! Let me know if you find an answer :)

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 3:54 pm

StuartN wrote:

You read my mind! I don't know where my obsession with social justice comes from, because I've always had it from my earliest memories. And it wasn't a value that was ever taught to me, consciously.

I think this relates to the phenomenon that a lot of autistic people relate well to animals or just love them a lot. I always felt a strong empathy for people or animals who had little or no power.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 4:00 pm

I've never had an empathy issue, unless it's too much of it.
Of course feeling it is one thing and expressing it is another.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 4:07 pm

No, it's just something that happens. I used to, but I noticed that hating it didn't make it go away, and it didn't make me feel very good either. If I can do something useful in a personal way, then I will, but hate just has a negative effect.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 4:39 pm

One of the important tenets of my extreme pacifism is to fight against injustice wherever I encounter it, in any way I can. It's one of the reason why I tutor in inner city schools as a career; I had a lot of luck and priveledge growing up. These kids usually don't, and if I weren't to use my good luck in an effort to counteract the injustice they face (because of race, age, socio-economic status, and other things out of their control), I would be propogating a culture of oppression. What kind of paciftst can stand by and let that happen?

Yes, injustice makes me angry, but it incites me to positive action rather than violence...violence begets violence and solves nothing. There is a lot of emotion in my decision to tutor, but I cannot claim empathy. I have never been in these children's place; it would be sheer arrogance to think I understood or felt the difficulties they face! The petty injustices I faces (exclusion from the popular clique, faculty politics working against me, social rejection) are nothing compared to the terrible things that go on in this world, so I don't waste time feeling sorry for myself. I know that my contribution is meagre, but at least it's something; if I help even one kid, I've made a difference and spat in the face of injustice.

Lung_Drac
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2010, 6:48 pm

Hating injustice has to be my strongest trait (if there is a stronger trait, I am oblivious to it).

Yes, I do see injustice (especially at school), and I get so angry that I want to bite and strangle the perpetrator (I don't, however. I only ever look outwardly angry, but not to bursting point. In reality, though, I'm ready to massacre someone). This might explain why I hate math class the most; because I have a bunch of neurotypical dimwits sitting in front and behind me. They always have something nasty to say about someone, every single day. I wish that I would be temporarily deaf during math, or that they would loose their voices for that period.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 12:56 am

Ambivalence wrote:
bee33 wrote:
Anyone else have this issue?

Yes. Though if it is an issue, the issue is that other people are wrong. :wink: :lol:

^ that.

:wtg:

MuayThaiKid
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2010, 2:06 am

I'm kinda F-ed in the way I think. I see it as long as it doesn't affect me, my family or close friends, then I don't care. why? because I can't, I have my own problems to deal with, and they are more than enough. But when people do evil things, yes I would like to hurt them.

That is one reason, I want to become an ametuer and eventually pro Thai Boxer.
I want to show the world that having Intelligence and being different, doesn't mean your a p**** and can't defend yourself.
let me end this with,

I think The movie rain man was an injustice. It is the reason I don't talk about my disability even with employers... Because they hear the word Aspergers, and assume that we're some savants that rock back n forth.

To me that is a huge injustice.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 3:13 am

Why do you think anarchists define themselves that way?

The rule of a state, the illusionary power granted by indoctrinated citizens, the perception that violence is only allowed if a government performs it, these are unjust, and as such they are evil.

Currently I can only fight with ideas, and education, hopefully that is enough.