Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2010, 11:49 pm

My Father told me I am a visual genius, or close to it. I'll watch him take IQ test and when ever there is a visual problem I get the answer right away and my Father take 20 minutes on it. He is more of a numbers guy, I think. I am an artist, actually.
Anyway, I have a hard time in Chemistry - Its the math of it all. I typically barely pass tests with a D or C. Well in the last unit the teacher said that the unit would be the hardest the one because it involves abstract 3-D models that are hard to visualize - and people have a harder time passing this unit. She said it was a unit that only the artists get. She was aiming this at me, mostly, because everyone in the class knows I am an artist. We had to construct numerous models and I found myself doing very well in the Lab as opposed to my partner (for once).
The day we got the test back I received an A!! Which is a first for me! The teacher said she was pleased, and even I was surprised. The boy in front of me, who usually gets A's got a D - Naturally I was quite happy at my score.

So. Is anyone else a visual thinker?

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 12:25 am

Heavily visual thinker, but a mathematical one, I hated arithmetic til I figured out the numeral symbols could be mapped to what my brain says a number is (a relationship, like points on a line, dimensions of a space, geometric properties, etc), and I found I took to it like a duck to water afterwards.

My gf helped me there, she said "don't say that, numbers are real, but those aren't numbers" and pointed to some arabic numerals.

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2010, 4:53 am

I am a visual thinker. I am also quite good at drawing. Mostly i like drawing people. In future i will improve my people drawing skills, because i don't go to any school that teaches better drawing skills.
I don't think that i am a visual genius, but definitely better than average. I like visual tests. I usually get 130 - 140 with some visual IQ tests. And it usually takes about 10 minutes to finish.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 3:13 pm

I consider myself to be both a visual and written thinker.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 4:04 pm

I think I would be considered a visual thinker. i am a professional artist and have crafty skills. But I am also good at math, I have programming skills, and I know a lot about computers so I am good with them. This often confuses me when someone asks if I am a visuals thinker- I don't know.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 4:26 pm

I'm a visual thinker. I translate every word I read or hear into a picture or movie in my head, so that I can understand it. That's why I don't speak very well. I write much better than I speak because I am allotted more time to do the translation.

Bob550
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2010, 5:02 pm

I think visually. I make a picture in my mind with words. I am an artist, so I see visual patterns everywhere.

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2010, 5:31 pm

I have strengths and weaknesses in verbal areas, as well as visual-spatial and mathematical areas. I am also an artist, though, and find drawing and painting comes naturally to me. On IQ tests I don't have a clear strength, though I do very well.

tolu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2010, 5:51 pm

Ah,
This shows you the reversal of roles to a limited degree in the cognitive process of Autistic individuals compared to a Neurotypical individual.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 5:53 pm

I think in pictures. I hardly ever think in words. It's too complicated.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 8:23 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I consider myself to be both a visual and written thinker.

what is a written thinker? If there is a thought i can't see a picture for I will see the written word. It is hindering me from wanting to learn more in the languages I like because if I know what it means I will see the written word in my head and the translation, if I don't know what it means or how it is spelled I can just appreciate the pure sound of the word.

MuayThaiKid
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2010, 11:02 pm

I think I'm a visual thinker. never really thought much about it. but when I do math in my head(I suck at math) but in my head I draw out simple multiplication the same way I was taught to write out on paper in school. But as far as art goes, I'm really really bad at drawing, but I do like to do photography, and I have some pretty good pictures considering my camera.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 9:03 am

Bob550 wrote:
I think visually. I make a picture in my mind with words. I am an artist, so I see visual patterns everywhere.

I see the visual patterns between words in printed text. It depends on the colour of the page, but i tend to see the pattern between words rather than the words. I don't know if this is similar.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 9:54 am

Vizzy busy topic

I am visual but unable to draw, so I use my picture thinking in other ways, especially for crafts, research, problem solving and tutoring.

I also have a new computer--a laptop and now my life is much easier. :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 10:04 am

SuperTrouper wrote:
I'm a visual thinker. I translate every word I read or hear into a picture or movie in my head, so that I can understand it. That's why I don't speak very well. I write much better than I speak because I am allotted more time to do the translation.

Same for me.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 10:59 am

SuperTrouper wrote:

Quote Wrote topic

Exactly.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo