Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 1:52 am

I have a very hard time with people abusing objects. Things like touching the computer monitor will get them an angry glare, and god forbid they put down a book upside-down so it stays on the right page. I find myself wanting to shout at them, even though they're not my books. To me, certain things should always be treated with care, especially books and electronics.

The worst are people that actually throw away books... Sacrilege, I say!

Heliobacter20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2010, 2:47 am

I hate when people abuse books!
I stupidly anthropomorphize stuffed animals. Seeing them torn apart upsets me greatly. Even though I know it's silly, I can't shake the feeling that they have feelings. I love real animals a lot too, so maybe it ties in with that.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 3:07 am

I'm not very materialistic.

Most objects only have a functional purpose for me.

Touching a computer screen does not usually damage it, and whether a book is upside down or not is entirely irrelevant to it's integrity.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 3:19 am

Definitely - all the books have to be upright and spine out, in alphabetical order of fiction author, or non-fiction subject order. The same with all the CDs. I put books and disks back in the right order in the library and in shops. Whenever I don't want books anymore I try giving them to friends, or selling them, or giving them to charity shops. I don't like seeing a book upside-down, on the floor or (major sin) written in.

I think there is a major sense of order with desks, such as never handling other people's property, pencils or computer without asking.

I like the genuinely sacred too - icons, relics and statues.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 5:06 am

Books. I dropped my favourite book and twisted something in the spine. Thereafter, when closed the book always had a certain cant to it. It still bugs me years later.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:45 am

My sacred objects are my books (I hate finding them out of where my classification placed them*) and two folding knives I always carry in my trousers left pocket.

* The Psychopompos Classification :) :
- Litterature : alphabetical order (author names)
- Comic strips : issues ordered inside their collections, but no other prder
- History and mythology : a kind of chronological order linked to the book subject
- Other non-fiction : no order at all :lol:

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:57 am

Revering relics topic

Most here put me to shame! I have dropped books (eek), written in them,stacking them on the floor :shameonyou: and used pens and pencils as bookmarks. 8O
But I still think they are wonderful.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 8:01 am

My CDs, LPs, drum sticks, turntable and CD players are very sacred to me.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 8:05 am

Chronos wrote:
Touching a computer screen does not usually damage it, and whether a book is upside down or not is entirely irrelevant to it's integrity.

It's true it doesn't usually damage it. But I grew up with the commandments never to touch the screen, anyway. When you put a book down upside down, this breaks the back of the book and the pages will often begin to detach from the back of the book, so it's actually quite a problem.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 8:40 am

I do it with my video games collection

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 8:47 am

I believe in keep items in the best condition for many reasons.

To show I'm thankful for it and I respect who has gave it to me and to respect what the item is made of.

I enjoy making stuff last.

It shows I care for my things.

One of my brothers is not the careful with his or my stuff so it is a some what of a pain

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

29 Apr 2010, 9:04 am

I am always irked when someone mistreats a book. My sister really bugs me because she either "dog-ears" pages or flips then upside down to mark her spot. It is irritating. She also reads books in the bath,which scares the hell out of me, one slip or splash and the book is ruined (at least in my eyes)!

As for other objects, I am always careful of my own things, electronics especially, but even more so with the possessions of others. And, because I am like this, it drives me mad when others do not show similar respect to my stuff.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 12:09 pm

You know what horrifies me? When people WRITE in books.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 12:24 pm

Don't touch my computer AAAAAAAH!
It is very special and sacred and must not be touched by human hands, or any hands for that matter. Apart from MINE.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 12:30 pm

I have a problem with people doing just that. My things must be treated with respect.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2010, 12:33 pm

I think my relationship to material objects is different qualitatively to most people, particualarly NTs. I don't purchase things for the mere purpose of having stuff or for show or social prestige. The objects I buy all have meaning to me.

I am also very particular about my material objects and take great care of them. There is a continuum of course, in which some objects are sacred to me. One example would a be a special ceramic sculpture candle holder one of my kids gave me as a gift.

Other things that are imbued with meaning to me are things like books, photos in frames, photo albums, art work, my journals, tools, appliances, kitchen utensils, furniture, my professional equipment, electronic equipment, cds, car, my home.

If anyone invades my privacy to screw with my stuff, misuses it, takes it without asking, treats it without care, or worse damages it, I find it personally offensive, disrespectful and a violation of my boundaries.

I once had someone in my home for the first time. I had my desk area set up in an alcove off of my living room. He wandered around commenting on some things in my place like books etc. Then he was standing by my desk at which I had a couple of small framed photos. He picked one of them up and started man-handing it. Inside I was screaming, "WHAT THE f**k DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!!?? PUT IT DOWN NOW!! !" I got my back up big time, answered his question about it, very bluntly, then took it out of his hand and put it back where it was.