Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2010, 9:43 am

I've noticed some people here have stated that they don't have any friends so I decided to give advice on how to make friends without even needing any social skills. Find a hobby and pursue a career in it. It doesn't necessarilly have to be something that pays money either so have a backup plan to make money as well. I will tell you what I did. I started this without even the intent of getting to know people but these days I know a lot of people. Ever since I was a little kid I have made music. When I was in high school I started playing piano and guitar in various bands. I would put up adds at my school and music stores to find other musicians to make music with. When I was 19 I joined the band that I am still in today. We have since then become quite popular in our area and have been on several radio stations. I also do music engineering and programming for other local bands in the area. It doesn't make me much money but I like what I do. Someday I hope that I can also make a living off of music but even if I don't thats ok. I can find something else to make money doing and keep making music and being in my band as a hobby. Being a local musician has also greatly improved my social skills because I have to deal with people frequently. I think my next step to making money is giving lessons for piano and composing music. At first it can be challenging and I have been doing this for a long time but eventually you can also become famous in your local area. Some people also seem unintrested in other people. Thats ok too. There are many hobbies that you can pursue a career in that don't involve other people. I could also make music on my own and sell it over the internet if I wanted to. Lots of people have jobs they hate so I guess my other point of this post is to find a hobby and make it into something you can make money doing. Don't expect immediate results either or you will be disapointed. Like I said it took me many years.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 10:07 am

Looks about right to me.......every one of my current batch of friends is due to a decision of mine a couple of years ago, to go and perform at a local music club. It took a long time to pay off (didn't even know why I was doing it at first, apart from an urge to perform), and I spent many nights feeling marginalised and out of it while I wasn't actually playing, but little by little I've got used to the people I met that I feel safest with. The whole process was pretty much effortless on my part, except for having to just stay with it when I didn't feel particularly wanted. I'm amazed how people have warmed to me. Of course music is kind of a special case, because of the huge artistic dimension and its almost universal popularlty. Also musicians tend to be pretty eccentric creatures, which suits me fine, because I love strange people and because I don't stand out as particularly weird.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 1:46 pm

That's not bad advice. I have a couple (literally) friends who I met through shared interests. Problem is that these relationships tend not to have much depth. I don't know though, YMMV.