Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2010, 10:55 am

Is it common for those with autism to have depression? If it is, why? I more than likely have depression myself and will be going to the doctor sometime in these next few weeks.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 11:03 am

I think that we are more likely to develop Depression, because the NT world hands us a lot of crap, on a rusted platter.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 11:12 am

Yes it's common......I'm still somehow dodging clinical depression, so I have to make do with sorrow and misery.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 11:17 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that we are more likely to develop Depression, because the NT world hands us a lot of crap, on a rusted platter.

As CockneyRebel said, we get handed a lot of crap from a majority NT world, not that some NTs don't get a lot of crap themselves, but it's hard. I'd be wiling to bet that a fair number of Aspies have undiagnosed depression, myself included. :P

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:04 pm

dt18 wrote:
Is it common for those with autism to have depression? If it is, why?

Should it be expected that someone who spends their lifetime being treated as obstinate, stubborn, irrational, lazy and weak because they cannot do everything that others can do might become depressed?

Would you think that someone who has trouble communicating and interacting socially, therefore makes fewer friends, has fewer romantic prospects and more difficulty obtaining and/or keeping a job would tend more than the average person toward depression?

How about someone whose social ineptitude and non confrontational demeanor attract bullies of every stripe and at all stages of life?

Or, say, someone whose difficulty reading and interpreting nonverbal cues and social interaction makes them vulnerable to manipulators and liars and causes them to be repeatedly taken advantage of, betrayed, used and robbed?

How about someone who has dealt with all of these issues and shortcomings every day of their life - would you expect that person might tend toward depression and an overall pessimistic outlook?

That's what did it for me, anyway... :?

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2010, 12:06 pm

Ditto. That's exactly how I feel.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:40 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
This is an excellent summary of the cause. Willard spelled it out.