Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Equilibrium
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2010, 5:26 am

A recently had a Cognitive assessment it says my speech is: Verbose and a tendancy to be repetitious and tangent. Are these common traits others have?

Last edited by Equilibrium on 03 May 2010, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:36 am

I'm certainly tangential, but my mother and sister are too. They tell you everything about what they are going to say except for what they are going to say. Then they forget what their point was.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:49 am

I read Verboten Speech and I thought wtf? :lol:

Sometimes I can talk talk talk and can't stop. I do it rather with more trusted people, not with strangers. But I repeat similar phrases and I add something new to them. It looks like loops.

Does tangential mean that you change the topic?

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 6:24 am

I can be very verbose, when I'm around my friends, talking about my money making ideas.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 6:36 am

I talk my head off about my dogs, family history, gory horror films, stopmotion animation, the band Motorhead, and roleplaying games. :oops:

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 8:28 am

I'm pedantic a lot and go off on tangents. I may be verbose at times when I am talking about something I am passionate about.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 9:54 am

My co-workers had their cell phones set with each number on their phone to have a specific ring tone for different numbers. My ringtone was the adult voice on the Charlie Brown cartoons you know the one you could not understand and sounds like a trumpet. They said its because they have a hard time understanding me and I talk too much. It could be worse one of my co-workers ringtone was a flushing toilet because his breath stunk like crap. LoL

There was another guy I worked with who I think was an aspie but he talked about all sports all the time but my co-workers did not complain much since they were big sports fans. With me it was oh boy here we go. They told me it was a crapshoot they could get a funny story, an interesting story full of information, or a scary story where they thought I was a little bit off. But I was suprised to how tolerant they were of my constant talking. These big working class guys who you would expect to be very mean to someone who is different.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 10:14 am

Equilibrium wrote:
A recently had a Cognitive assessment it says my speech is: Verbose and a tendancy to be repetitious and tangent. Are these common traits others have?
Yes. Verbosity, repetitions and going on tangents are all documented as common Autism Spectrum characteristics.

http://www.autscape.org/

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 10:28 am

Equilibrium wrote:

This is me. I have an extremely hard time keeping anything I say brief, and to-the-point. I mean, I try, but.... well....

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 10:43 am

I'm generally very quiet. I get verbose in spurts and blurts.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 12:03 pm

Sound wrote:
I mean, I try, but.... well....
:)

http://www.autscape.org/

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 12:22 pm

Have you ever spent more time explaining definitions of words you used to make a point, than you did making the point itself?

You might be an Aspie!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 12:38 pm

I often write extremely long posts. Other people might call them repetitious. But for me each "repetition" has a slightly different meaning. And all the details are integral parts of the whole. I feel like an Ent in many ways -- not native to words, taught words by someone else, and each word is a story rather than a single word.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 12:42 pm

Spend a lot of silent time, but if I go into lecture mode [at the drop of a hat] watch out. USUALLY I go all around Robin Hood's Barn but [if nobody stops me, which some try to do] I will almost always go back and finish my maiun point as well as all the angents.

But lectures are for students and ingroup, not the general public, where I can seem taciturn.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 12:45 pm

I'm definitely a girl of few words.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 12:50 pm

I don't talk much, but when I talk about a subject I'm interested in or knowledgeable about, yes, I have a tendency to be verbose and to go on tangents.