yes 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
no 40%  40%  [ 37 ]
i have in the past but not at the moment 35%  35%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 93

Whangdoodle
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2010, 8:31 pm

I've worked full time briefly in the past. I've never kept a job more than a couple months without quitting (from the stress of dealing with people) or getting fired (for reasons I didn't understand/because people just didn't like me, I guess).

I've never had a job that paid more than minimum wage or required a high school diploma. The ironic thing is, the jobs I had, while requiring essentially no intelligence, usually demanded decent social skills.

I'm in my early 30's and nearly finished with my master's, graduated magna cum laude and have a genius IQ :roll:. Pretty sure I'd be fine if someone would give me a chance at a job more suited to my strengths and weaknesses, but I doubt that's ever going to happen. As far as I can tell, getting a real job requires the ability to "sell yourself", look "professional" and "network", three things I haven't the foggiest idea how to do.

neto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2010, 8:31 pm

I'm 29 and I've had a few full time jobs but never for more than 10 months. I've recently quit a moderately well-paid job because I couldn't stand having to deal with people all day and answering phones. It was so straining. Being an aspie can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:14 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I'm 15, I can't be in full time employment by law. But I'm already working on becoming an entrupenaur and a stock trader/investor. When I'm older I'll either be a hedge fund manager, or I'll run my own companies. Maybe I'll do both.

Trust me, I won't be one of those people who lives with their parents for their whole lives and can't be independant. Tell me it can't be done while I'm sailing my yacht towards Monaco's harbour.

good for you. I have noticed that on shows where people talk about how they made alot of money almost NONE of them were employees, the started and ran their own businesses.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:15 pm

Horus wrote:

The only thing that keeps me alive is my non-negotiable self-preservation instinct. It's pretty bad when you actually envy the suicidal.

you have some of the most deliciously dark humor I have ever encountered. That is so well-put, and I can relate. :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:23 pm

I don't have a job because I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but I've had troubles with jobs in the past that I think are AS related, like becoming exhausted by conversations more than by light physical tasks, going off on people, and being too afraid to call when I was too sick to go in. Job interviews were also terrible. I never knew what to say and i would come off as a dunce.

I did graduate from a demanding college.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:32 pm

alana wrote:
Horus wrote:

The only thing that keeps me alive is my non-negotiable self-preservation instinct. It's pretty bad when you actually envy the suicidal.

you have some of the most deliciously dark humor I have ever encountered. That is so well-put, and I can relate. :)

Believe it or not....i'm not even trying to be humorous here. My way of expressing myself often provokes unintended reactions in people. Not that I have a problem with these reactions, i'm glad you found it humorous :)

Whatever the case....I think you realize i'm being as serious as a heart attack here.

I only wish it was one of those things I could look back upon and laugh about one day. But at 40....the chances I will are slim to none.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:52 pm

Horus wrote:
alana wrote:
Horus wrote:

Believe it or not....i'm not even trying to be humorous here. My way of expressing myself often provokes unintended reactions in people. Not that I have a problem with these reactions, i'm glad you found it humorous :)

Whatever the case....I think you realize i'm being as serious as a heart attack here.

I only wish it was one of those things I could look back upon and laugh about one day. But at 40....the chances I will are slim to none.

no actually I thought the second part was wry humor. I wish I didn't have the spiritual beliefs I have, but I think there is karmic debt from suicide, or being reincarnated into a life that is even worse. So I stick around, one day at a time. I want to burn off every bit of karma in this life since it sucks anyway.

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2010, 11:45 pm

I have a BA in Political Science from the University of North Carolina; it took seven and a half years to finish and my graduating GPA is too pitiful to post. All it is to me is a very expensive wall decoration. I often felt like the smartest person in the room and probably was much of the time (on the days I could muster the strength and/or courage to actually go to class), but there's almost no way I could continue my studies in graduate/professional school. My sister, who is three years younger than me, beat me out of UNC even though she'd turn to me to help her out with classwork/papers/etc. She has an MSW and now I get to watch her plan for law school; it's a constant reminder of my own failures.

I am a good worker, but I can't get past the interview; they terrify me. I can't sell myself, and I am too honest about my perceived shortcomings. All I want is a permanent job that pays enough to have some semblance of a stable life. I was on the dole until the end of last month; I guess I'll be delivering pizza again soon.

I feel like I have no future.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

harlequinsenor
Raven
Raven

05 May 2010, 12:12 am

I've had very good fulfilling jobs but I manage to screw them up because I can't tell my supervisors the things about my personal life that they need to know.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 12:57 am

alana wrote:
Horus wrote:
alana wrote:
Horus wrote:

no actually I thought the second part was wry humor. I wish I didn't have the spiritual beliefs I have, but I think there is karmic debt from suicide, or being reincarnated into a life that is even worse. So I stick around, one day at a time. I want to burn off every bit of karma in this life since it sucks anyway.

Well Alana....much like Karl Rove....i'm not "fortunate enough to be a person of faith".

This was the good Mr. Rove's falsely modest and cowardly way of admitting he was an atheist.

But i'm being serious here....SOME kind of religious/spiritual belief would be a luxury for me and I wish I could believe in "karma" or something.

I just can't wrap my mind around any of it though. Ultimate reality to me is nothing beyond what scientific materialism has told us it is. While plenty of my fellow "scientific materialists" may disagree, I don't believe this idea of ultimate reality is such a
pleasant one.

As far as i'm concerned...there are no rewards, no punishments and nothing but oblivious nothingness awaiting Adolf Hitler and my sweet beloved old granny alike.

Life is meaningless....nothing is true and everything is permitted. Except when humans in power decide not to permit something.

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2010, 2:28 am

I once worked full-time as a bus driver, but I was getting migraines so bad from the stress that I was literally collapsing, so I wasn't really able to do that anymore....

Have had a few jobs over the last 13 years; postie, herb packer, and janitor, but I just can't seem to get a job at the moment......I've been unemployed now for 4 years, I'm putting myself on every course I can to help improve my chances, I also do a lot of volunteer work, but to be honest, when you can't even get a job as a street sweeper [and I have a pretty high IQ, just not great with people] it's rather demoralising......

Sometimes it gets a little tiring not even making it to an interview. Problem is, by law I have to declare I have Aspergers, were I to keep it a secret and then I got a job and it became an issue in that job, the employer would not be obliged in any way to keep me on....but, I think there's a lot of misunderstanding out there of the huge variation of ASDs, especially with employers.....

Anyway, I'm off to yet another unit/course today to see what help they can offer, I'm so dejected being on benefits........

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 12:48 pm

I am one of the fortunate ones. My parents sent me to a superb secondary school, and that provided a foundation for my undergraduate and professional degrees.

I am employed, full-time, in a career that I enjoy. I tried self-employment for a few years, which was a complete and almost unmitigated disaster. Fortunately that is behind me, and I am back in a rewarding career.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:47 pm

I want one, but no one in my entire area wants to hire a small inexperienced 21-year-old. It's been over a year now since I've even had a job, so this has gotten really old...

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:55 pm

I have in the past. Unemployed now, for the time being. I have no qualifications other than basic ones.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2010, 3:52 pm

i am still in college but i am looking for a job.

it bothers me how employers would rather hire someone with perfect social skills than someone with equal or better qualifications that has no interpersonal skills.

i remember my aunt's ex-husband was the polar opposite of most aspies. he was very skilled at persuading people to hire him, yet he was irresponsable and immature so he could not keep a job for more than a month. yet, the cruel irony of his situation was that each time he was fired, he would find a better job when he was hired again, because he knew how to manipulate his potential employer.

aren't lazy people like that so irritating :?:

bigboff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2010, 2:57 am

thanks you all for your help it has helped me and i have a good chance of going to uni now so thank you all for shwoign me i have a chance