Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:58 am

I've never had any kind of job.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:49 pm

I can't seem to work more than about 18 hours a week without starting to hide in the corner of my bed and refusign to come out. My doctors say it's a wonder I manage that and will almost certainly never work full time. That's why I'm trying to get on SSI, so I can survive on what I do.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 7:06 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I can't seem to work more than about 18 hours a week without starting to hide in the corner of my bed and refusign to come out. My doctors say it's a wonder I manage that and will almost certainly never work full time. That's why I'm trying to get on SSI, so I can survive on what I do.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do?

dragonzmyst
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2010, 8:05 pm

I worked full time in the past but I can't anymore...I burnt myself out. I forced myself to go to work even though the sounds (constant talking, interaction, etc - it was a call center and i was a customer service rep) was like torture to me. At one point I went to the ladies room and tried to break my own ankle by stomping on it, in the hopes I could go out on disability for awhile. It didn't work, and I had to return to my desk.

Anyway, I stayed way beyond what I could handle, so now even when I try to work part time I only stay about a month and then I can't handle it anymore. As of right now I work from home as a freelance writer; it's the longest job I've had in almost 8 years.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 8:14 pm

Out of 84 respondents thus far, 23% have a full-time job. That's nearly twice as many as the common statistic we hear of 12%.

It's especially meaningful considering many of the respondents are younger and/or in college/high-school.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:05 pm

Not yet, I have a low paying part time job instead. Hopefully I'll get something out of college which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."