Do people on the spectrum have good memories?

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2010, 11:44 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
There are eidetic NTs. Being an aspie is no guarantee of eidetic memory and having eidetic memory is no guarantee of being an aspie.

ruveyn

It's actually listed as an associated feature of Autistic Disorder in the DSM-IV-TR (with AS being close to AD in most ways). Which would mean that it's at a higher prevalence than in the normal population, or that it's somehow related to the condition, compared to its relation in those without an ASD.

I must wonder if something like the diametric opposite of Eidectic memory is EVER related to ASD/AS/NVLD.

That seems to be my biggest problem in terms of any actual disabling factors.

I could muddle through with my more AS/NVLD-like socioemotional, motor, visual-spatial and executive functioning issues.

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2010, 6:37 pm

I have an almost freakish memory for facts, conversations and things I've read... except for names of any kind. My short term memory is starting to weaken a little, though; I'd be out to sea without Google Calendar.

In a rational world, those who act in rational ways would be considered normal, and those who act in irrational ways that they somehow decided were "right" would be the freaks.

WalkingDoctor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2010, 11:34 pm

I'm 26 and have vivid memories dating back to when I was 2 1/2. These are memories I can confirm with other family members. I have all kinds of wonderful memories of my sister and I playing together as a kid. I was obsessed with the Minnesota Twins as a kid and we went to a baseball game where we got autographs together. One was of my favorite player at a the time! Any kid's dream :) I could fill a book with them. At the same time like other people have said I also remember many bad memories like things that either I said or someone said to me during a melt down and reliving them really stings. I was always accused of being a grudge holder by my parents because I have a hard time letting go of past arguments because I remember them for so long. It really affects me at work because I will remember slights from co-workers forever and everyone else moves on. I also relate with forgetting every day things. I constantly lose my keys, cell phone, glasses, you name it and if someone asks me to do something its gone in two seconds.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 2:30 am

I remember some things I am the only person in this world who cares about it :P Like how the voice of an animated character from my childhood exactly sounded and I remember the lines exactly too.
I don't remember things, that are important to most of people.
Anyway I think my memory is rather bad.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:38 am

I remember even tiny details of the events I participated in, of the conversations I took part in or heard them after many years when no one else is able to elicit this from their memory (I think so at least - human memory works in mysterious ways). I always tend to think that others do the same which infuriates me because I think they remember my goofs and stuff. I can remember them very well - like they were recorded in my head.

I remember even very unsignificant events from my past. Like when I found those two really pretty peebles in my childhood - one of them was pink, looking like someone's tooth, the other one was dark grey, shaped a bit like an animal's head. Unfortunately I lost it and mourned my loss. Or when uncle brought me a whole handful of toadstools and gran told him to throw them away. Or some scenes from that movie I was watching at 4 or 5 when we were waiting for my grandpa's return from hospital he was taken into when he had an accident and he had an injured leg (in one of the scenes there was a fire in a Zoo; a bear's fur was burning). The moment when Azor, grandparents' watchdog put his head in a hole between two piles in their barn and I had to ask my grandpa who luckily was in the barn then to pull the dog's muzzle out of the hole. The window of the bathroom in the hotel we lived in when I was a very young child; it was painted white or yellowish to prevent any potential peeping Tom from peeking. When I was 3 and mom took me to the swings and one older boy was standing on the swing and I wanted to do the same but mom told me I was too young and he could do it because he was older. The white and green saltshaker which was hanging on the hook of grandma's tile stove. When I broke grandpa's favorite mug. When my grandma taught me when I was 6 that it was rude to point my finger at something. When one evening I was lying in bed, humming religious songs on Mary. Everything. Every little detail.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 8:11 am

What kind of memory? I never forget a face, but I have trouble remembering names.

ruveyn

Byron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2011, 3:45 am

I have a what I call a pretty good memory. My family says that I have a very good memory. I'm pretty dang good with dates, when people alert me of something, when I experience something for the first time in my life ( like when about a week ago, I got a letter from the courts about being randomly selected for jury duty.) June 9th, 2009 was the first time in my life that I saw a funnel cloud out my aptment window. The last time I was at a Rockies game was on 7-18-08. I think I remember a lot of things bcause my filter is on just about all the time. when I tell someone that they told me about something, they say u remember that?! I tell them uh, yeah.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 5:37 am

My memory has mostly been incredibly patchy, except for things which really interest me, and I think this is a common aspie thing.

My memory is awesome these days though, I almost feel like I've got someone else's.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Feb 2011, 5:57 am

When I can remember something, my recall is pretty accurate. I tend to have a fairly strict context/association for pulling up a lot of memories, and it's not always obvious - so I end up with a lot of effective gaps until I can work out how to remember specifics.

Stuff related to my interests is the easiest to remember, as others have said.