Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you think that male autistics are "more autistic" than the female ones?
yes 21%  21%  [ 22 ]
yes 21%  21%  [ 22 ]
no 29%  29%  [ 31 ]
no 29%  29%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 106

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 3:38 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
I mean AS m vs AS f , HFA male vs HFA female ....
Do you think that the male would be more isolated ?

Teen boys with Asperger's are more immature and get more socially isolated.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 10:21 am

I think that Aspergia (Asperger syndrome community) and autistic community at large is more symmetrical than people think in terms of the ratios of men and women it is just that women tend to be better at masking than men due to the social expectations of society. But women are more likely to be misdiagnosed with other conditions such as personality disorders. That doesn't mean that men don't get misdiagnosed with conditions like borderline personality disorder, generalised anxiety disorders, etc. I was misdiagnosed as having BPD in 1999. I was diagnosed at 36 years old as having Asperger syndrome on June 26th 2003. My girlfriend who also has Asperger syndrome was diagnosed at 3. It is usually the men who get an early diagnosis and women getting diagnosed in adulthood but for some strange reason she had an early diagnosis and I had the late one. :o

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 10:45 am

It depends on the male. It depends on the female.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 12:22 pm

Males seem to be affected worse than females in most neurological disorders, including ADHD, Fragile-X and even depression. I'm NOT trivializing these disorders in women though. I'm just saying that women may be better at hiding their condition in some situations and are better at opening up about their feelings when appropriate. It might be to do with hormone differences. Conditions in women tend to be more complex and not so stereotypical.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 12:32 pm

The same.
* Women are underdiagnosed, so diagnosis rate can't be a basis. It amused me to no end when I read a published study that noticed the (mostly) inexpressive Aspie men had (mostly) overly expressive mothers... it suggested that the men were Aspie as a result of pressures from these emotional NT mothers; it did not occur to them that (some of) these highly expressive mothers were themselves Aspie. :roll:
* Most women (and some men) may be more "social" but the standards are higher for women (and "social" men), so the relative lack of "fit" remains equal. The men I know who are Aspie or ND have had more success than the women (of course that's in the NT population also ---- which would imply the ASD is a neutral factor relative to gender cultural norms). My grandfather's idiosyncrasies were tolerated: he was a genius. My grandmother was institutionalized: she was crazy. I see from their writings that they were both equally talented. He was inexpressive; she was expressive. Who hid better?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 1:06 pm

It really depends on the person. For example I'm female, but my autism seems to present itself in a more masculine manner. I have much more in common, generally speaking, with autistic males than with other autistic females.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 1:50 pm

I don't think you can say either is more, I think females just tend to respond differently. I was told where I varied by my bullies and I studied to fix it, learning slang, getting involved in the popular jokes and viral videos and taking to learning about body language and how to manipulate responses to make people like you. Me seeming more NT then is not then because mine is more mild, but because I spent loads of time learning to fake things. Girls tend to do things like this so they seem normal and our problems present differently a lot too. They can still be very difficult.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 4:14 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Do you think that male autistics are "more autistic" than the female ones?

I think that the total amount of autism is mostly male, but can't be sure about maximum average severity. Ma Nature has a lot more trouble with female autism. The mother is needed to provide stability for her children, but the father, while providing stability for his wife, is the one to introduce worldly variety to the children, and male auties can be pretty good at those.
My NT sister remained very unhappy that our AS mother never did some standard motherly things, and was still hoping as she died.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Oct 2019, 9:04 am

Dear_one wrote:
My NT sister remained very unhappy that our AS mother never did some standard motherly things

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of things were they?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 9:29 am

OutsideView wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
My NT sister remained very unhappy that our AS mother never did some standard motherly things

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of things were they?

We are kind of speculating here, but we are pretty sure that the mothers in movies who say "I love you" to their children are not based on fiction. She had read that she was supposed to encourage us, but when I asked her where I'd done wrong on a drawing, she didn't try to help, she just said it was good. I quit believing her praise that day. I was shocked to learn that other children would ask for parental help on homework, and get it too. She actually hired a tutor for my English grammar. She was totally inflexible - if I was clearly winning an argument, she'd just say that I should become a lawyer and not change her decision. Neither would she challenge a school's error for me.
She saw her job as providing basic child care, but thought that "baby talk" was beneath her - she thought we developed language in a sort of larval stage, and then became worth communicating with. Our job was to make her look normal and able to impose polite behaviour. Having explained some things to my sister, two years older, she expected the lessons to trickle down to me. I lived by the Golden Rule, hoping not to get too many demerits in my ledger before I could handle being disowned. Nothing ever felt forgiven. If I asked for something that wasn't on her planned list, I got reasons why I shouldn't have it.
She left when I was 15, and dad kicked me out two years later. She finally asked why I left when she was dying, and learned the truth. As far as I can recall, the only advise she ever gave me was to be careful about overstaying a welcome.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Oct 2019, 2:57 pm

Dear_one wrote:

Thank you for the information, that must have been a difficult situation for you to grow up in. Inability to be a proper mum is something I worry about very much for my little one.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 3:24 pm

OutsideView wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Thank you for the information, that must have been a difficult situation for you to grow up in. Inability to be a proper mum is something I worry about very much for my little one.

My sister has spent her life surrounded by friends. I got some clues from others' mothers when visiting, and left entirely ASAP. Neither of us had children, and I am still limited to an hour of human contact per day.
There used to be a theory that autism was caused by a "cold mother." I think it was inherited from such mothers, but at the time, AS was not an available diagnosis, and most Aspies inherit from the father. Mothers have to be benign dictators to deal with children, and as such, are nearly immune from criticism, of coldness or any other quirk.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2019, 5:46 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
I AM NOT ASKING abt number ratio Females:Males but I asking that if we take 2 persons one female and one male on the same level of sepectrum ...does in "general" the male shows more severe autism traits that the female one?

Doesn't that depend a bit on how you decide whether the two are "on the same level of the spectrum"? It almost sounds like a self-fulfilling criterion, that two people, regardless of sex, would be approximately "as autistic as each other" if they are selected by the stipulation of being on the same level of the spectrum.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 6:10 pm

Specifically define 'more autistic'.

Is it someone's set of traits whose emphasized on social isolation, lack of language abilties and emotional bluntness?
Was it one's with traits emphasized on lack of self-help skills, impulsivity and learning disabilities -- the 'low functioning' ones?

Or is this based on circumstances; badly failing parents, cannot adapt, no friends, constantly bullied, no relationships to speak of, cannot fit in, failing at every jobs, higher chances of mental and physical illness, requires higher support and maintenance, etc..
Whether one desires it or not?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2019, 11:06 pm

Both Autistic males and females are disadvantaged in life and we are not accepted by NTs. The NTs will blame us for everything and never accept us because our bad luck of having Aspergers. The NTs can get stuffed, we did not choose to have Aspergers. We are a lost cause in regards to ever being able to compete with the extroverted NTs in regards to opportunities in life.