Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 4:42 am

I don't mean a literal headache. I mean that extremely uncomfortable and braindead feeling you get when people overexaggerate their voice. I get that feeling when I listen to podcasts or watch YouTube videos. It makes it hard for me to enjoy listening to anything that's spoken word.

I've tried podcasts that were university lectures. They had the same problem. The only place that doesn't seem to have that problem is some CBC and iTunes U material. I just can't get iTunes U to continuously play the way I want it to. Am I the only person with this problem.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 4:55 am

Could it be the way that Americans speak?
I'm not being mean here, because obviously people can't help the way they speak, but I find it difficult to listen to anything voiced by an American.
This might have something to do with my hearing impairment - i don't know - but the American accent sounds quite grating and often over-exaggerated, which I find annoying.
This is why I've hardly seen any American TV shows and watch BBC and ABC exclusively for the British and Australian content.

Have you tried listening to speakers with different accents?
I find I can tolerate a nice British accent very well.
If I had a British accent, I'd probably never shut up :mrgreen:

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 9:22 am

Raleigh wrote:
I'm not being mean here, because obviously people can't help the way they speak, but I find it difficult to listen to anything voiced by an American.
This might have something to do with my hearing impairment - i don't know - but the American accent sounds quite grating and often over-exaggerated, which I find annoying.
This is why I've hardly seen any American TV shows and watch BBC and ABC exclusively for the British and Australian content.

I don't always get irritated by the way Americans talk. I only get that problem when Americans are trying to be entertaining.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 11:40 am

DevilKisses wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

I don't always get irritated by the way Americans talk. I only get that problem when Americans are trying to be entertaining.

How are U Tube voices, and podcast voices, different from traditional media voices ( ie traditional broadcast radio and TV announcers)?

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

How are U Tube voices, and podcast voices, different from traditional media voices ( ie traditional broadcast radio and TV announcers)?

I think they're way more exaggerated. People in traditional media know they've made it. People who make podcasts and YouTube videos are often trying to make it. Even when they've already made it, they don't change the way they talk because they're scared of losing viewers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Jun 2016, 1:02 pm

I like podcasts, I listen more to comedy ones than anything else but I think it has been a great medium. I like talk radio and NPR too, it just seems like a radio program to me.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 2:11 pm

Yes, some voices are extremely annoying and even if it is a very interesting subject, i cannot listen to it if that bugs me out.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 7:33 pm

Mostly yes, I seem to be very sensitive to what kind of voice I'm hearing if I have to listen to the sound of someone's voice talking extensively. For this reason I cannot tolerate many podcasts and even more audio books, almost no matter who is narrating or what their accent is, though there are some accents that grate on me more than others.