Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 1:07 pm

Yes. Lion King was Lion King and My Little Pony was My Little Pony. I basicaly just lined up my toys.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 1:33 pm

No. I used to have Barbies ride on Care Bear cars & pretended that a Hulk Hogan figure was another version of a Ken doll lol.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 4:30 pm

No, I didn't stick to whatever storyline toys were originally a part of.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 8:45 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
When I was a kid and I started watching a cartoon series I was very sensitive about any changes, especially, color and sometimes voice. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a tone would be lighter or darker and I didn't like the episodes with the altered tones as much. If a different actor replaced another and a character's voice was only slightly different, I noticed that, too.

surprisingly enough, I actually didn't usually notice those things; I only found out many years later.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 9:36 pm

Now that i think about it, i did keep to separating toys while playing with them (GI Joes by themselves, Exo-Squad, TMNT, etc). I dont recall once crossing series . . . interesting. I also recall making sure i had certain toys with me while watching their respective show.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 8:56 am

I think I know what you mean, OP.
I had one or two barbies, and a lot of stuffed animals, and I would never think to play with them all together. They're different species!
And I hated when kids would build lego houses for their action figures. Lego houses are for lego people! They're completely different materials, and for different things!
And don't get me started on mixing action figure series. I hated when kids would mix gundams and power rangers... They're from separate worlds!

Also, it was a problem for me when the other kids in my day care wanted to put lego men in their tonka trucks. I'd much rather have a truck with no driver than a truck with the WRONG driver.

It just seemed to me like all the other kids were playing with their toys the wrong way hahaha.

AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2010, 12:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
When I was a kid and I started watching a cartoon series I was very sensitive about any changes, especially, color and sometimes voice. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a tone would be lighter or darker and I didn't like the episodes with the altered tones as much. If a different actor replaced another and a character's voice was only slightly different, I noticed that, too.

lol! This nearly destroyed my childhood. When they changed the voice of Donatello from TMNT, I went on a war path. -- And don't even ask me about Nimoy and Galvatron!

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 3:06 pm

I was the opposite way. I loved mixing action figures together and having big battles with them, using the couch as a mountain which was the stronghold of one army and the other had to besiege it. I was seven.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 3:35 pm

Me and toys had a pretty diabolical relationship: I took everything apart. Everything went apart and was (sometimes) even put back together, with some leftover parts of course.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 4:25 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Me and toys had a pretty diabolical relationship: I took everything apart. Everything went apart and was (sometimes) even put back together, with some leftover parts of course.

I loved doing this :)
I hated barbies because when I took them apart it was always difficult to put them back together. Action figures and mechanical toys were far superior.

Mutt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2010, 7:47 pm

I don't remember in being very interested in playing with toys, (not for my parents' lack of trying!). I remember, however, that I just loved to build things with legos and some wooden blocks that my parents got for me. I also remember having dolls, however, I wasn't interested in playing with them, nor in using them at all, unless it was Quasimodo, from the Hunchback of Notredame, whom I was obsessed for a period of 2 years. There, my parents had trouble getting me to leave it behind, or not sleeping with it (they were afraid I would hurt myself since it was made of hard plastic).

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 7:51 pm

I always mixed and matched my toys, especially if the game involved Beanie Babies 8)

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 7:53 pm

wendigopsychosis wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I loved doing this :)
I hated barbies because when I took them apart it was always difficult to put them back together. Action figures and mechanical toys were far superior.

:) I used to take apart my sister's barbies... and yeah they didn't always want to go back together.

My own toys OTOH were usually a one-way affair: an 8 year old taking apart a remote control car did not bode well for the car.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:41 am

wendigopsychosis wrote:
I think I know what you mean, OP.
I had one or two barbies, and a lot of stuffed animals, and I would never think to play with them all together. They're different species!
And I hated when kids would build lego houses for their action figures. Lego houses are for lego people! They're completely different materials, and for different things!
And don't get me started on mixing action figure series. I hated when kids would mix gundams and power rangers... They're from separate worlds!

Also, it was a problem for me when the other kids in my day care wanted to put lego men in their tonka trucks. I'd much rather have a truck with no driver than a truck with the WRONG driver.

It just seemed to me like all the other kids were playing with their toys the wrong way hahaha.

Yeah. Unless there was a cross-over at some point via either comics, movie, or TV, for me they were separate toylines, and not meant to be played with together.

The funny thing is voice actor changes I never honestly noticed as a kid; I can tell now, but I honestly couldn't tell as a kid.

The sad thing about that is not only is it totally obvious, but in many cases the new VA sounds absolutely nothing like the previous one...how I could miss that--albeit only being 4-7 years old--still baffles me.

Icecypher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2010, 1:03 pm

I could not mix lines up, especially if they are from different universes.

If I played with Thundercats I would not include Transformers or Masters of the Universe.

An "exception" to this is when I used a large collection of Disney miniatures I had to play something based on Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars. Of course, Maleficent would be the leader of the villains (like Doctor Doom was). Mickey would lead the good boys. And Tinkerbell would be the first to die, because she reminded me of the Wasp and that death scene she had in the series.

If I did not do that Secret Wars thing with my Disney toys, I could not play with them at the same time, since I could not see Mickey interacting with Maleficent any other way (just like I do not like the fact Quack Pack includes "humans" and is still supposed to be in the same universe as Duck Tales, and how I have problems with Pete being in Duck Tales and Goof Troop as a different character).

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 8:17 pm

Icecypher wrote:
I could not mix lines up, especially if they are from different universes.

If I played with Thundercats I would not include Transformers or Masters of the Universe.

An "exception" to this is when I used a large collection of Disney miniatures I had to play something based on Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars. Of course, Maleficent would be the leader of the villains (like Doctor Doom was). Mickey would lead the good boys. And Tinkerbell would be the first to die, because she reminded me of the Wasp and that death scene she had in the series.

If I did not do that Secret Wars thing with my Disney toys, I could not play with them at the same time, since I could not see Mickey interacting with Maleficent any other way (just like I do not like the fact Quack Pack includes "humans" and is still supposed to be in the same universe as Duck Tales, and how I have problems with Pete being in Duck Tales and Goof Troop as a different character).

funny you mentioned that though....because DuckTales, Darkwing, Talespin, and Goof Troop all take place in the same universe; if ya need proof, hit up some comics from Disney Adventures from the early '90s. :D