Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:40 am

Hello.
I noticed a few weeks ago that I have a potentially dangerous behaviour. To be explicit, when I'm crossing a road and notice a car coming toward me, I have only two choices : run to my direction or stay where I'm already ; I'm unable to think that I also can go back to safety.

What to do to avoid it ? Is it an aspie trait ?

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:51 am

Given the standard of driving in France (and the Hungarians are not much better) I would say that you have a problem. The easist solution is not to cross the road unless there is no traffic but you could always hope that the driver has a vehicle with brakes and steering in good condition.

Vanilla_Slice

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:57 am

I only go forward too. Can't say whether it's an Aspie thing.

VolcanicEruptions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2010, 4:45 am

Psychopompos wrote:
Hello.
I noticed a few weeks ago that I have a potentially dangerous behaviour. To be explicit, when I'm crossing a road and notice a car coming toward me, I have only two choices : run to my direction or stay where I'm already ; I'm unable to think that I also can go back to safety.

I can relate to this. If there are no cars around, I can walk across the road towards the pavement and not feel nervous and I'm calm. However, when I am walking across the road and I see a car approaching, I run in the direction I am going - only going forward. I don't know if it's Aspie related though.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 5:32 am

Psychopompos wrote:
Hello.

This happened to me a year or two back and has totally spooked me, the car was accelerating towards me deliberately. It was terrifying and I had exactly the same reaction - just ran forward.
I have been extremely careful crossing roads since as the car seemed to come out of nowhere (I guess I just wasn't paying attention).
Later I fantasised about taking the car out with an RPG.
Edit: I'm NT which may explain the fantasy revenge thing..or not

Last edited by nostromo on 23 May 2010, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2010, 5:32 am

I'm terrible on the road. I've almost been hit so many times.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 7:57 am

Maybe this is part of executive dysfunction? But whatever it is, I have it. I can have a well-thought-out plan to do something, and everything will move along nicely until something unexpected or unanticipated comes along ... and then I tend to either freeze in "brainlock" or to just storm on ahead in spite of anything.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:05 pm

Animals do that too. I guess it's instinct.