Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 2:47 pm

Why do people email me this stuff???? OH-mygawd. :wink: This is worse than all the files with the pix of cute puppies and kittens, and slobbery little babies, that flood my inbox from coworkers every day. Or the warnings that the bannanas have anthrax on the labels, or that Bill Gates is giving away money if you just email to a specific address, and whatever.

"On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning,
the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06. That won't ever happen again. You may now return to your (normal ?) life."

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2006, 3:00 pm

it annoys the hell out of me too. people gather thouasands of e-mail address with each one. it is so annoying....

Jammie

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 6:41 pm

Luckily we don't do that at work. We have a folder that everyone has access to - people just post emails to that folder if they wanna share photos of cute kittins or jokes. Works a treat.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 7:55 pm

My wife filters out all that stuff I think she likes it too sometimes I cant stand the stuff and only look at what important to me. I think it a way NT's have fun. :)

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 12:15 pm

Even if I was receiving E-Mails regarding anthrax on banana labels, that would be a reassuring sign that some of the company I keep has some interest in world affairs. Alas, I only seem to get photo attachments of unspeakable obscenity, a reassuring sign only that many of my friends think a spell of unemployment would be good for me...

Nan wrote:
"On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning,
the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06. That won't ever happen again. You may now return to your (normal ?) life."

With acknowledgments to Renaeden for pointing this out on another thread: The rest of the world doesn't have to worry about this for another month. I'll brace myself.

You got to ask for it

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 1:59 pm

~snork.~ :lol:

What bothers me, actually, is that they believe the anthrax thing is real.
And, actually, one of the pix I got this week was kind of cute. A hampster shouldering what seems to be an AK47. Uhhhh.... people have time to make these photos?

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 2:27 pm

Nan wrote:
Why do people email me this stuff???? OH-mygawd. :wink: This is worse than all the files with the pix of cute puppies and kittens, and slobbery little babies, that flood my inbox from coworkers every day. Or the warnings that the bannanas have anthrax on the labels, or that Bill Gates is giving away money if you just email to a specific address, and whatever.

Maybe they think you like it. I've got a friend of mine that sends me those forwards and I don't read them but delete them.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 4:16 pm

There is a trojan hores going around that's carried by pictures. Basically, open a picture and they've got your machine. This from our system geek who we pay a lot of money to protect our company machines.

We got sort of hacked, but he caught it and shut down one of the ports until all the machines got scrubbed. So, that's why people are sending around all those pictures.

Beentheredonethat

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 7:08 pm

beentheredonethat wrote:
There is a trojan hores going around that's carried by pictures. Basically, open a picture and they've got your machine. This from our system geek who we pay a lot of money to protect our company machines.

We got sort of hacked, but he caught it and shut down one of the ports until all the machines got scrubbed. So, that's why people are sending around all those pictures.

Beentheredonethat

UH OH! 8O

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2006, 5:40 am

beentheredonethat wrote:
There is a trojan hores going around that's carried by pictures.

8O What are trojan hores?

You got to ask for it

ARW_AS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2006, 4:17 pm

That was an exquisite e-mail. Can I have one please?

*Don't bother*

HisGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2006, 11:22 am

[quote=Nan]What are trojan hores?[/quote]

One would think - although spelled wrong - that Trojan Hores would be a group of loose women of the Trojan variety :o , when in fact a Trojan Horse is a type of computer virus. :wink:

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2006, 1:33 am

Spell it however you like. It captures your key strokes and sends it back to someone who wrote it. This includes credit card numbers, passwords, and so on. How does it work? too complicated to explain, just trust me. It works.

Remember this. In a picture (any picture) there is basically, nothing there! Just zeros and ones (which you can't see unless you are savy enough to know how to open the picture in a text editor....and that still won't do you any good.) A picture is just more computer code.

Suffice it to say, that you can put other code into a picture, if you know what you're doing, or you have a program to do same.

And while I'm scaring people, you know these e-mails that go around that seem to have nothing in them? Well, in a lot of them, if you do a little poking around with your e-mail's color changer, you'll find that there's a lot of other code in there...it's just in there in white. Again, that code can be used in most Microsoft systems to really foul up your machine. Consider someone who manages to con you opening an executable file hidden in an e-mail with a simple instruction that can erase your entire hard drive....and that's really simple stuff.

Beentheredonethat.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2006, 1:37 am

On thinking about it, I think I prefer Trojan Hores. However, that is another subject entirely
BTDT

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2006, 6:21 am

I don't have to worry about Trojan Hores, family filter blocks them out. :wink:

You got to ask for it

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2006, 6:47 am

The worst part about this is that people use Microsoft mail sofware like Outlook, exchange, etc to open and transfer these messages. It's so easy to spread trojans and other bugs in this stuff that people send the stuff on without any thought that they may contain malicious code. MS mail recognizes this stuff, and before you even know what's going on, the damage is done. Microsoft mail programs are obviously linked to other programs needed to perform their task, so the problem can be even worse. For example, if someone sends a text document, when you open it, it's gonna call up MS Word. MS word will run scrips, and the malicious code has just escaped detection of your virus scanner!

Non-microsoft E-mail programs just don't recognize embedded scripts in pictures, email, and other files that would make them malicious. It's also only Microsoft programs that recognize scripting embedded in other types of files, like pictures, documents, videos, sound bytes, and other material. I'm not running any microsoft mail program for this reason. Still, I don't want it if it's got a bug in it! So, if you're using a Microsoft product for E-mail, don't even THINK about sending this crap to me!