I remember each dream when I wake up.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie-B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2010, 3:35 am

I just wanted to ask everyone here if they remember their dreams as frequently as I do.
My wife hardly ever remembers her dreams, and she is definately not an Aspie.
I remember my dream every time I wake in vivid detail the next morning.
I read somewhere that dreams are just the minds way of filing memories.
After reading that I started to pay attention to my dreams, and I realized that everything I dreamt was in fact somehow related to the information that I had picked up recently.
Maybe my brain is filing my memories in an hard to reach part of my brain, becasue I really have a hard time remembering things when I really need to.
Anyways, I just wondered if this might be further proof of my "brain being wired differently".

Sometimes the best part of my life is just waking up from an interesting dream!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:41 am

I used to be able to do that. I want to get to that point, again.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:51 am

I go through phases of having very good dream recall. At the moment, I'm in an off phase. I would like to know what causes it.

I also believe that one of the functions of dreaming is the processing and integration of information.

Dreams are often the most enjoyable part of my life. There's nothing worse than awakening from a wonderful dream and realizing that reality is still here and still rubbish.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2010, 7:15 pm

I have almost never been able to recall my dreams. I think the total number that I have ever been able to recall even momentarily is still bellow 10 (8 I think). I have problems getting to sleep, but once I am I sleep like a rock, its actuality kind of a problem since I have slept through a number of fire alarms.

I wish I could remember more of the dreams. I want to try and get an alarm clock that monitors sleep cycle to force the matter. Unfortunately none of the ones I know let you program it to interrupt REM sleep.

I have read that the content of dreams changes with AS, becoming more logical and lifelike. I think this is sort of related to the lack of imaginary play. I have had a couple of dreams like this, however I don't have a big sample group. Do other people get this?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 7:22 pm

huntedman wrote:
I have read that the content of dreams changes with AS, becoming more logical and lifelike. I think this is sort of related to the lack of imaginary play. I have had a couple of dreams like this, however I don't have a big sample group. Do other people get this?

That's interesting, I've not heard that before.

I tend to have dreams that are just like everyday, prosaic scenarios, but a bit odd. I'm jealous of those who dream about flying around alien planets or interesting things. I think when I was younger my dreams were a lot more imaginative. Youth is wasted on the young etc. etc...

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 7:40 pm

My dream life is very active and where I think there's definitely the processing of information that's recently come through, I have many times had dreams abotu things before they've happened. Who knows how or why, but I love my dream life and I get lonely if it gets too quiet.

HikariOkami
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2010, 8:15 pm

I remember most dreams for a day or two before I forget them. The ones I remember for years are usually the worst nightmares (Lots of stress=lots of nightmares). My dreams are so randon that it's hard to keep track of what was what. My most recent dream was about two of my friends and James from Pokemon being ghosts, but not dead XD.

dragonzmyst
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2010, 9:32 pm

I remember my dreams in great detail. In fact, I recently went through a time when I had a bout of nightmares....I had to take a Tylenol PM before bed to keep myself from remembering my dreams in the morning. It worked really well; it was more effective than I thought it would be.

Aspie-B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2010, 9:44 pm

HikariOkami wrote:
I remember most dreams for a day or two before I forget them.

I should clarify that I tend to forget my dreams as fast as I realized that I had one.
It's just that I can remember my dream the moment I wake up every time I wake.
Even if it is just a short nap. And my dreams are those interesting ones.
The floating, the flying, interesting adventures, hollywood scale explosions, but there have not been any aliens that I can remember.
The recent "end of the world" dream I had was just so real, that was extreemely fun to remember.

So my day starts like this everyday:
1) I remember my dream.
2) I start up the looping song chorus in my head.
3) I realize its back to reality for another day with a stupid song stuck in my head all day.

SeaMonkey

14 May 2010, 12:05 am

Dream recall comes and goes in phases. It comes with lucid dreaming regularly. When it comes to dreams its simply a matter of thinking about it wihle your awake. If your thinking about lucid dreams a lot you'll start having them. If you're thinking about remembering your dreams you'll start remembering them. Certain substances make dreams way more vivid and up dream recall by about 1000%. Valerian root extract is the only one I've tried but really has some crazy effects on dream recall and vividness.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2010, 12:18 am

I have some ability to do this. Especially if it involves a person that I am obsessed with, or a special interest that I have.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 12:21 am

I don't remember dreams often, unless I think about them right after I wake up.

Almost all of my dreams are about architecture, oddly enough. I dream about being in different interior spaces, sometimes huge ones that are hard to figure out and that give you no clues as to where you are in relation to the outside, like airports and shopping malls, or warehouses converted into artist lofts. Other times I'm in a large house living with a lot of people, or in an apartment that is so small it feels confining. I'm always aware of the architectural style of the building.

And I'm not an architect. :)

I think it might have something to do with being a visual thinker and being very aware of structure and aesthetics?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 1:01 am

I don't remember mine anymore.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 4:30 am

bee33 wrote:
Almost all of my dreams are about architecture, oddly enough. I dream about being in different interior spaces, sometimes huge ones that are hard to figure out and that give you no clues as to where you are in relation to the outside, like airports and shopping malls, or warehouses converted into artist lofts. Other times I'm in a large house living with a lot of people, or in an apartment that is so small it feels confining. I'm always aware of the architectural style of the building.

Complex buildings with many different connecting areas corridors and sections feature regularly in my dreams. My brain decides they are schools or hospitals usually.

Pinchy

14 May 2010, 4:46 am

I can recall my dreams when I get up most of the times and I usually have a need to tell my other half right away. It annoys him but I have to make sure that he gets every little detail for a complete story. :lol: My other half (not an Aspie) does not remember his dreams and he reckons that my dreams are weird.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 5:02 am

I recall them vividly, and then go to some effort to distract myself so I can forget.