Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2013, 8:52 am

What are your favourite patterns or kind of patterns?

I find myself staring at my net curtains which have a repeating leaf pattern on them. Repeating patterns seem to hold my attention the most. I'm not too fond of stark black and white patterns or overly bright colours.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 11:18 am

The patterns that most captivate me are those that exhibit asymmetrical balance and harmony. That could be anything from Japanese art to Kandinsky.

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2013, 11:48 am

I enjoy symmetry and interesting use of color.

My favorite patterns, the ones that send chills up my spine, are the ones found in nature. Patterns created by shadow and sunlight are very appealing to me (could you tell by my username? LOL). Just yesterday my window blinds were slightly opened and were swaying side to side as I had just touched them. The sunlight was shining through the window and as the blinds moved back and forth, it created beams of light on my floor. The beams reappeared in regular intervals. I was mesmerized.

I saw these close up images of snowflakes the other day, which I could have stared at for hours: Close-Ups of Snowflakes

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2013, 1:42 pm

TreeShadow wrote:
I enjoy symmetry and interesting use of color.

My favorite patterns, the ones that send chills up my spine, are the ones found in nature. Patterns created by shadow and sunlight are very appealing to me (could you tell by my username? LOL). Just yesterday my window blinds were slightly opened and were swaying side to side as I had just touched them. The sunlight was shining through the window and as the blinds moved back and forth, it created beams of light on my floor. The beams reappeared in regular intervals. I was mesmerized.

I saw these close up images of snowflakes the other day, which I could have stared at for hours: Close-Ups of Snowflakes

I own a field guide to snowflakes. They're so petty and the patterns are just amazing!

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:05 pm

I always look at the ceiling cracks. And I used to step on the floor tiles in a certain way.

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2013, 5:31 pm

I don't think I have a strong interest in patterns, but when I was younger I was obsessed with floor tiling in shopping centers. I would look for symmetry and any oddities or mistakes that had been made. I always had to walk on a certain colour tile and would make a game out of it.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:41 pm

Music and fractals (not the abstract parts that people talk about -- not the math, just the sound and the visuals).

Love transcends all.

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm

AshTrees wrote:
What are your favourite patterns or kind of patterns?

I'm not particular. Although I'm HFA, a good pattern can ensnare me and makes me stick-out like a sore thumb. If I had a nickle for every time I've heard "Dude, wtf is your problem? Let's go!") I'd be a rich man.

I like the patterns of nature quite a bit. I saw the snowflake close-ups on Imgur the other day, too. I went bonkers with excitement, pulling them into GIMP--an app like PhotoShop--to enlarge them, adding and changing colors to help me see every minute aspect of their structures. I spent probably... I don't remember, maybe 3-4+ hours on those images.

Anywhere but here, I'd call it a shameful waste of time and be embarrassed. Here I can speak the truth; they were blissful. I felt like they were hinting at some underlying truth that mustn't be spoken aloud. Patterns like that "speak" to me in ways people just can't. It's almost physically exciting. I even cried a time or two. Not a meltdown; it was just some emotion tears at a couple of particularly beautiful manipulations. And of course patterns don't actually speak words; that's just figurative. I simply don't know what to call it or how to describe it.

Also, some classical music has a strange effect upon me. Not all of them, even though I do like most classical. I'm referring to certain works where the composer weaves-in subtle hints of the underlying theme. Beethoven's 9th, for example.

In fact, I just realized I'm lightly stimming as I sit here thinking about all this.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2013, 7:05 pm

Wow those are awesome snowflake patterns. I've bookmarked that page so that I can show them to my little girl - she will love them!

I love all sorts of patterns, patterns in nature, patterns created by interesting roofs, patterns in crystals and minerals (I have some crystallised bismuth on my desk - that is awesome stuff). and even the patterns made by the way people are arranged in a room. I always though it was just my artistic eye seeing these patterns, but I'm beginning to thing it is my Autistic eye that does it ;)

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 7:16 pm

Ceiling and floor patterns are captivating to me, for some reason, especially in fancy office buildings.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 9:18 pm

Moire patterns