Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 1:51 pm

I hate it! :evil:

The glaring sunshine, reflecting off metal to hurt me even when I try to avoid it. Lots of people outside, especially kids, screaming and shouting so loud its easily audible inside, even with the window closed, but that would make the room overheat in minutes anyway. Without rain in the spring the air gets dusty, just going for a short walk makes my hands wash off grey afterwards. And if you dare complain about it when someone is talking about the weather, they get offended!

Not to mention how boring the clear sky is. A plain blue-white gradient, devoid of any interesting clouds, nothing to spark your imagination. But that's how they like it, isn't it :evil: conform thoughts, wishes, actions, apparance, make everything identical so it'll fit in their nice little categories and save them the bother of thinking.

I wish I could move to whatever place suffers the least sunshine and become a hermit! :wall:

VolcanicEruptions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2010, 1:59 pm

The 'good' weather hurts my eyes when it's sunny and people become hyper - I hate the noise of screaming and shouting etc. There is nothing better I like seeing than a dark, deep, grey and stormy sky - it's interesting.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 3:08 pm

I agree. Rainy or stormy weather has an aesthetic appeal to me. Rain or mist gives the scenery a certain softness / delicateness / balance that I like. Clouds have immense beauty when they form in many different layers, textures, and colors, and help define the three-dimensional vastness of the atmosphere above.

A solid blue sky is too blunt / plain / austere in appearance and the hues are over-saturated. It almost hurts my eyes to look at it for too long. Also, climates where the sky is nearly always blue and the sun is always beating down are some of the harshest, most inhospitable, places on the planet. Clouds and rain are givers of life.

Last edited by marshall on 12 May 2010, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VolcanicEruptions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2010, 3:10 pm

marshall wrote:
I agree. Rainy or stormy weather has an aesthetic appeal to me. Rain or mist gives the scenery a certain softness / delicateness / balance that I like. Clouds have immense beauty when they form in many different layers, textures, and colors, and help define the three-dimensional vastness of the atmosphere above.

A solid blue sky is too blunt / plain / austere in appearance and the hues are over-saturated. It almost hurts my eyes to look at it for too long. Also, climates where the sky is nearly always blue and the sun is always beating down are some of the harshest, most inhospitable, places on the planet.

I agree.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 3:12 pm

I like overcast days, better than days with good weather.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 3:28 pm

If I'm planning for outdoor activities like hiking or a picnic / bbq, etc. then I'd rather it not rain. But if I'm spending my time indoors anyways then I'll be wishing for some heavy thunderstorms.

Thunderstorms produce the most beautiful sky afterward, especially when the sun is setting and you get a contrast between yellow/orange cauliflower clouds, delicately lit layers of "anvil" cloud, and that ominous blue-blackness underneath where the rain is falling.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 4:09 pm

I agree completely! I have always been somewhat offended by weather forecasts referring to "good weather", when in fact they meant sunny weather. It seems very biased. Personally, I like it cloudy, although I'm not a big fan of rain. A cloudless sky is fine at dawn or dusk, as there's plenty of effects there, but at midday it's not only bland but somewhat too bright.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2010, 4:17 pm

I dunno. I'm picky when it comes to weather. I like the rain, a dark misty evening night is nice for me. Drizzly/foggy nights are nice for me. I also love the early morning, just before and around the time the sun starts to rise and set.

I don't mind sunny warm weather though, mainly because I don't have to be bundled up and can wear shorts/t-shirts comfortably without being cold. I like being able to wear shorts and t-shirts year-round without the need for a jacket, so springtime is the best season for me. I get those rainy nights/evenings, and semi-early sunrises/late sunsets, so it's good for me.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 5:17 pm

Bluefins wrote:

The glaring sunshine, reflecting off metal to hurt me even when I try to avoid it. Lots of people outside, especially kids, screaming and shouting so loud its easily audible inside, even with the window closed, but that would make the room overheat in minutes anyway. Without rain in the spring the air gets dusty, just going for a short walk makes my hands wash off grey afterwards. And if you dare complain about it when someone is talking about the weather, they get offended!

Not to mention how boring the clear sky is. A plain blue-white gradient, devoid of any interesting clouds, nothing to spark your imagination. But that's how they like it, isn't it :evil: conform thoughts, wishes, actions, apparance, make everything identical so it'll fit in their nice little categories and save them the bother of thinking.

I wish I could move to whatever place suffers the least sunshine and become a hermit! :wall:

I was raised in one of those places you describe, near Lake Ontario. I didn't mind it at first, but it gets more depressing as I age. I can go weeks without seeing the sun, and it's bad for your mood. My brother lives in Silicon Valley, and I'd take that weather any day.

HikariOkami
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2010, 9:34 pm

I have trouble with the light hurting my eyes on cloudy days. I'm nearly blind when I go outside on a sunny day.
I agree that the blue sky is boring, but it can be pretty every once in a while.
Luckily, I live between an ocean and some mountains, so it rains all the time here. Even on sunny days, there is always (Okay, almost always. As in, only 2 or 3 days in my life being different from the always.) at least one whispy cloud somewhere in the sky to make it more interesting.

Taqman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2010, 1:08 am

Gloomy weather makes me depressed.

I moved away from the North East to Texas just to get away from that crap. The funny thing is I don't like being outside in bright light, but I do like seeing a sunny day through my window.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 May 2010, 1:25 am

Good is a relative opinion. I have a rare vision disorder where I see much better in lower light sometimes & bright light hurts my eyes. I also have a form of skin eczema & the heat makes me itch more. I live south Louisiana & the weather here is usually very hot & humid/ or someeimes rainy except for the winter when we it gets bellow 55F & then it goes back to over 80F. It's seldom that the temp actually feels nice outside here except for when a hurricane is coming. When the weather here feels nice to me; it's a warning 8O

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 8:32 am

I used to feel the same way.

I'll tell you about the day that changed.

I was doing laundry in the laundry room in my apartment complex along with a woman who lived across the hall from me. She says, "Isn't it gorgeous out today?" (It was warm and sunny)

I grimaced a little and said, "Eh..."

She says, "Oh, you..." As if to say, you are always so strange--what the hell is your deal?.

I say, "No, you're right. It's nice out."

From then on, whenever it was "nice" out, I made a point to acknowledge it to someone. And, you know what? I got to kinda, sorta feeling that way. When I get up and see it's nice and sunny out, I think, "Wow, what a nice day."

Given the choice, I'd probably still rather have cool, overcast weather... But I have learned to embrace the sun.

We're all going to be dead soon. Any weather that doesn't rip the roof off of your house is good weather.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 8:39 am

Bluefins wrote:

Come to Scotland. There's plenty of cloud here. I'm sick of it. Even "sunny days" always have cloud or icy winds. Except for about 7 days out of the year where everyone goes mad, which isn't good either.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 9:10 am

I love sunny weather! or stormy or misty....

I hate 100% cloud cover. That's what we have over here. The sky is always a blotchy shade of grey and on the verge of drizzling and it's cold. Too cold not to wear a coat, but not cold enough to get away with a ski jacket without looking weird, so everyone walks around kidding themselves we live in a 'temperate' climate.

A nice day here is one that hasn't rained in the last 4 hours.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 9:15 am

I like cloudy and warm weather 8)