What is your LATEST obsession/special interest

Page 15 of 30 [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 30  Next

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 478
Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

02 Mar 2011, 4:57 am

DevilKisses wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


you sound racist to me.

I disagree.


A viewpoint on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Viking was hijacked by the extreme right.

To state that someone who is interested in these subjects must be racist follows the same logic that Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians must be fascists. It's a fallacy.



Musician999
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
Location: UK

02 Mar 2011, 7:29 am

Maths.

I've just joined LinkedIn too, but am for some reason deeply resistant to getting sucked in to social networks. As it's more of a business thing that's why I decided to join. Can see the appeal, although I've found the limited amount of editing of my profile I've done a bit tedious. I'm a self-employed freelance so the forms don't make that much sense for my circumstances (deja vu...)



Raj62
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12

06 Mar 2011, 5:41 am

Niall wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


you sound racist to me.

I disagree.


A viewpoint on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Viking was hijacked by the extreme right.

To state that someone who is interested in these subjects must be racist follows the same logic that Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians must be fascists. It's a fallacy.


You are comparing apples and oranges. Vegetarianism does not directly relate to racism the same way anglo-saxon/germanic/viking history does. There is no excuse other than some sort of ingrained racist tendency to take a sole interest in "white" history and exclude the histories of other great ethnicities. Why not study Indian history and African history as well? Both are just as great, and many would say even more great in fact, Indian civilization is much older and richer than Europe's. Also the fact he made a point of saying "pre-christian" was a warning flag. I find many racists are leaning away from Christianity now that it is a proven fact Jesus was Jewish and was murdered by white Romans. So he studies white history at the exclusion of other people's histories, and even goes on to specifically say he's only interested pre-judeo-christian Europe. To me there are a lot of red flags in his statement, and I don't think I am being paranoid here, given how as you even admit to yourself, studying those topics are extremely popular among the extreme right. He should learn to broaden his mind and study other people's cultures rather than succumbing to ignorance and focusing exclusively on his own. That is xenophobic and extremely narrow minded. This may surprise you, but there is A LOT more history and culture to be found outside Europe than there is inside it. Don't be so ignorant as to deny yourself all the diversity the world has to offer by wasting your time studying European history when there is so much more to be found elsewhere.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,098
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

06 Mar 2011, 5:51 am

The music and performers of the 60s British Invasion.


_________________
Mick

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Millstone
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 109

06 Mar 2011, 5:53 am

Raj62 wrote:
Niall wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


you sound racist to me.

I disagree.


A viewpoint on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Viking was hijacked by the extreme right.

To state that someone who is interested in these subjects must be racist follows the same logic that Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians must be fascists. It's a fallacy.


You are comparing apples and oranges. Vegetarianism does not directly relate to racism the same way anglo-saxon/germanic/viking history does. There is no excuse other than some sort of ingrained racist tendency to take a sole interest in "white" history and exclude the histories of other great ethnicities. Why not study Indian history and African history as well? Both are just as great, and many would say even more great in fact, Indian civilization is much older and richer than Europe's. Also the fact he made a point of saying "pre-christian" was a warning flag. I find many racists are leaning away from Christianity now that it is a proven fact Jesus was Jewish and was murdered by white Romans. So he studies white history at the exclusion of other people's histories, and even goes on to specifically say he's only interested pre-judeo-christian Europe. To me there are a lot of red flags in his statement, and I don't think I am being paranoid here, given how as you even admit to yourself, studying those topics are extremely popular among the extreme right. He should learn to broaden his mind and study other people's cultures rather than succumbing to ignorance and focusing exclusively on his own. That is xenophobic and extremely narrow minded. This may surprise you, but there is A LOT more history and culture to be found outside Europe than there is inside it. Don't be so ignorant as to deny yourself all the diversity the world has to offer by wasting your time studying European history when there is so much more to be found elsewhere.
Don't be so ignorant as to deny yourself all the diversity the world has to offer by wasting your time with religion.



Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 478
Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

06 Mar 2011, 6:38 am

Raj62 wrote:
Niall wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


you sound racist to me.

I disagree.


A viewpoint on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Viking was hijacked by the extreme right.

To state that someone who is interested in these subjects must be racist follows the same logic that Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians must be fascists. It's a fallacy.


You are comparing apples and oranges. Vegetarianism does not directly relate to racism the same way anglo-saxon/germanic/viking history does. There is no excuse other than some sort of ingrained racist tendency to take a sole interest in "white" history and exclude the histories of other great ethnicities. Why not study Indian history and African history as well? Both are just as great, and many would say even more great in fact, Indian civilization is much older and richer than Europe's. Also the fact he made a point of saying "pre-christian" was a warning flag. I find many racists are leaning away from Christianity now that it is a proven fact Jesus was Jewish and was murdered by white Romans. So he studies white history at the exclusion of other people's histories, and even goes on to specifically say he's only interested pre-judeo-christian Europe. To me there are a lot of red flags in his statement, and I don't think I am being paranoid here, given how as you even admit to yourself, studying those topics are extremely popular among the extreme right. He should learn to broaden his mind and study other people's cultures rather than succumbing to ignorance and focusing exclusively on his own. That is xenophobic and extremely narrow minded. This may surprise you, but there is A LOT more history and culture to be found outside Europe than there is inside it. Don't be so ignorant as to deny yourself all the diversity the world has to offer by wasting your time studying European history when there is so much more to be found elsewhere.


I'll be the first to accept that some people with an interest in pre-Christian European history are racist. That said, just because someone has an interest in Islam doesn't make them a member of al-Qaeda, or just because someone has an interest in Hinduism doesn't make them a member of Shiv Sena.

As someone who has visited India twice I have a great respect for its history and culture, but I reserve the right to disapprove of Hindutva.

In the same way it seems possible to be interested in pre-Christian European history, noting the arrival of Christianity as a point of great cultural upheaval, without advocating the forcible removal of anyone non-white from the continent. I know many neo-Pagans, with similar interests, who despise the far right as much as I do.

I note that many aspies tend to get highly interested, even obsessed, with one particular subject, without it necessarily having a bearing on their political views. That is the point of this thread.


_________________
Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.


Orcist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 4 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 34

06 Mar 2011, 9:09 am

My current interest is Flash Animation.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,393
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Mar 2011, 9:29 am

1978 mercury marquis sedans [automobile]. i saw a period advert comparing this car to a 1978 cadillac sedan deville, and the ad made the mercury look pretty good. i wish i could have driven one back in the day.



IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 19,801
Location: The Gem State

06 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

The movies How to Train Your Dragon and Rango.



DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

07 Mar 2011, 1:54 am

Niall wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
Niall wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


you sound racist to me.

I disagree.


A viewpoint on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Viking was hijacked by the extreme right.

To state that someone who is interested in these subjects must be racist follows the same logic that Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians must be fascists. It's a fallacy.


You are comparing apples and oranges. Vegetarianism does not directly relate to racism the same way anglo-saxon/germanic/viking history does. There is no excuse other than some sort of ingrained racist tendency to take a sole interest in "white" history and exclude the histories of other great ethnicities. Why not study Indian history and African history as well? Both are just as great, and many would say even more great in fact, Indian civilization is much older and richer than Europe's. Also the fact he made a point of saying "pre-christian" was a warning flag. I find many racists are leaning away from Christianity now that it is a proven fact Jesus was Jewish and was murdered by white Romans. So he studies white history at the exclusion of other people's histories, and even goes on to specifically say he's only interested pre-judeo-christian Europe. To me there are a lot of red flags in his statement, and I don't think I am being paranoid here, given how as you even admit to yourself, studying those topics are extremely popular among the extreme right. He should learn to broaden his mind and study other people's cultures rather than succumbing to ignorance and focusing exclusively on his own. That is xenophobic and extremely narrow minded. This may surprise you, but there is A LOT more history and culture to be found outside Europe than there is inside it. Don't be so ignorant as to deny yourself all the diversity the world has to offer by wasting your time studying European history when there is so much more to be found elsewhere.


I'll be the first to accept that some people with an interest in pre-Christian European history are racist. That said, just because someone has an interest in Islam doesn't make them a member of al-Qaeda, or just because someone has an interest in Hinduism doesn't make them a member of Shiv Sena.

As someone who has visited India twice I have a great respect for its history and culture, but I reserve the right to disapprove of Hindutva.

In the same way it seems possible to be interested in pre-Christian European history, noting the arrival of Christianity as a point of great cultural upheaval, without advocating the forcible removal of anyone non-white from the continent. I know many neo-Pagans, with similar interests, who despise the far right as much as I do.

I note that many aspies tend to get highly interested, even obsessed, with one particular subject, without it necessarily having a bearing on their political views. That is the point of this thread.

I don't think it's racist to only be interested in "white history". I think being interested in "white history" just means you're interested in "white history". I don't think it has anything to do with being racist or political views.



imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,492

07 Mar 2011, 5:17 pm

House, M.D.



Raj62
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12

09 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

DevilKisses wrote:
Niall wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
Niall wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


you sound racist to me.

I disagree.


A viewpoint on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Viking was hijacked by the extreme right.

To state that someone who is interested in these subjects must be racist follows the same logic that Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians must be fascists. It's a fallacy.


You are comparing apples and oranges. Vegetarianism does not directly relate to racism the same way anglo-saxon/germanic/viking history does. There is no excuse other than some sort of ingrained racist tendency to take a sole interest in "white" history and exclude the histories of other great ethnicities. Why not study Indian history and African history as well? Both are just as great, and many would say even more great in fact, Indian civilization is much older and richer than Europe's. Also the fact he made a point of saying "pre-christian" was a warning flag. I find many racists are leaning away from Christianity now that it is a proven fact Jesus was Jewish and was murdered by white Romans. So he studies white history at the exclusion of other people's histories, and even goes on to specifically say he's only interested pre-judeo-christian Europe. To me there are a lot of red flags in his statement, and I don't think I am being paranoid here, given how as you even admit to yourself, studying those topics are extremely popular among the extreme right. He should learn to broaden his mind and study other people's cultures rather than succumbing to ignorance and focusing exclusively on his own. That is xenophobic and extremely narrow minded. This may surprise you, but there is A LOT more history and culture to be found outside Europe than there is inside it. Don't be so ignorant as to deny yourself all the diversity the world has to offer by wasting your time studying European history when there is so much more to be found elsewhere.


I'll be the first to accept that some people with an interest in pre-Christian European history are racist. That said, just because someone has an interest in Islam doesn't make them a member of al-Qaeda, or just because someone has an interest in Hinduism doesn't make them a member of Shiv Sena.

As someone who has visited India twice I have a great respect for its history and culture, but I reserve the right to disapprove of Hindutva.

In the same way it seems possible to be interested in pre-Christian European history, noting the arrival of Christianity as a point of great cultural upheaval, without advocating the forcible removal of anyone non-white from the continent. I know many neo-Pagans, with similar interests, who despise the far right as much as I do.

I note that many aspies tend to get highly interested, even obsessed, with one particular subject, without it necessarily having a bearing on their political views. That is the point of this thread.

I don't think it's racist to only be interested in "white history". I think being interested in "white history" just means you're interested in "white history". I don't think it has anything to do with being racist or political views.


But can't you see how you are wrong? If someone is only interested in "black" crime, or "Latino" gang violence, of course that person is racist, it is a question of motivation. What motivates someone to want to study white history, except for a misguided conception that white history is somehow better or more interesting than the histories of other peoples? Now if he had said he was interested in African history, Chinese history, and European history then that would be different, but he specifically said only white history, and not just white history, but pre Judeo-Christian history. Please stop making excuses for racism, the biased media does that enough already. The media in the US and UK has a love affair with racism, defending every inbred white bigot that crops up. The least we as real people can do to combat this is have a zero tolerance policy towards racism in all of its guises. Of course it is not 100% sure he is racist, but I think after slavery, colonialism, and the holocaust, I deserve at least the benefit of the doubt on this. Would it have killed you to say "hey, maybe you're right"? And would it killl that original psoter to reevaluate his motivations and maybe broaden his mind a little and study some African history as well as his precious European history? Of course not!



Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 478
Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

09 Mar 2011, 5:31 am

Raj62 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Niall wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
Niall wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Raj62 wrote:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


you sound racist to me.

I disagree.


A viewpoint on Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Viking was hijacked by the extreme right.

To state that someone who is interested in these subjects must be racist follows the same logic that Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians must be fascists. It's a fallacy.


You are comparing apples and oranges. Vegetarianism does not directly relate to racism the same way anglo-saxon/germanic/viking history does. There is no excuse other than some sort of ingrained racist tendency to take a sole interest in "white" history and exclude the histories of other great ethnicities. Why not study Indian history and African history as well? Both are just as great, and many would say even more great in fact, Indian civilization is much older and richer than Europe's. Also the fact he made a point of saying "pre-christian" was a warning flag. I find many racists are leaning away from Christianity now that it is a proven fact Jesus was Jewish and was murdered by white Romans. So he studies white history at the exclusion of other people's histories, and even goes on to specifically say he's only interested pre-judeo-christian Europe. To me there are a lot of red flags in his statement, and I don't think I am being paranoid here, given how as you even admit to yourself, studying those topics are extremely popular among the extreme right. He should learn to broaden his mind and study other people's cultures rather than succumbing to ignorance and focusing exclusively on his own. That is xenophobic and extremely narrow minded. This may surprise you, but there is A LOT more history and culture to be found outside Europe than there is inside it. Don't be so ignorant as to deny yourself all the diversity the world has to offer by wasting your time studying European history when there is so much more to be found elsewhere.


I'll be the first to accept that some people with an interest in pre-Christian European history are racist. That said, just because someone has an interest in Islam doesn't make them a member of al-Qaeda, or just because someone has an interest in Hinduism doesn't make them a member of Shiv Sena.

As someone who has visited India twice I have a great respect for its history and culture, but I reserve the right to disapprove of Hindutva.

In the same way it seems possible to be interested in pre-Christian European history, noting the arrival of Christianity as a point of great cultural upheaval, without advocating the forcible removal of anyone non-white from the continent. I know many neo-Pagans, with similar interests, who despise the far right as much as I do.

I note that many aspies tend to get highly interested, even obsessed, with one particular subject, without it necessarily having a bearing on their political views. That is the point of this thread.

I don't think it's racist to only be interested in "white history". I think being interested in "white history" just means you're interested in "white history". I don't think it has anything to do with being racist or political views.


But can't you see how you are wrong? If someone is only interested in "black" crime, or "Latino" gang violence, of course that person is racist, it is a question of motivation. What motivates someone to want to study white history, except for a misguided conception that white history is somehow better or more interesting than the histories of other peoples? Now if he had said he was interested in African history, Chinese history, and European history then that would be different, but he specifically said only white history, and not just white history, but pre Judeo-Christian history. Please stop making excuses for racism, the biased media does that enough already. The media in the US and UK has a love affair with racism, defending every inbred white bigot that crops up. The least we as real people can do to combat this is have a zero tolerance policy towards racism in all of its guises. Of course it is not 100% sure he is racist, but I think after slavery, colonialism, and the holocaust, I deserve at least the benefit of the doubt on this. Would it have killed you to say "hey, maybe you're right"? And would it killl that original psoter to reevaluate his motivations and maybe broaden his mind a little and study some African history as well as his precious European history? Of course not!


I've left this entire passage in deliberately, so Raj can look over it.

Where does anyone say anything about "white" apart from you?

Fredoak3 said:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


Where does it say "white"?

He talks about a group of religions from a particular part of north-west Europe that predate the arrival of the now-dominant religious force. That's a perfectly legitimate field of study

For all I know FredOak3 is racist, but I cannot accuse him of racism on this evidence alone. Just because he is studying something that has also been studied by scum who are racist does not make him racist. He way perfectly well be someone who hates racists trying to find out why they think the way they do, or someone who is simply interested in that period of European history. On this evidence alone I cannot make a fair judgment.

If he had a name like Raj73 and was interested in the pre-Moghul religions of northern India would he also be a racist, just because some extreme right-wing nutcase Hindus have the same interest?

Personally, I don't think so.

For what it's worth, I have studied Indian culture and history. I have read the Mahabharata, as well as works by Gandhi and Tagore, and would recommend them all to anyone sufficiently literate.



Pinchy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 73

09 Mar 2011, 5:47 am

I am trying to work out a 'short' list of English words that cover all 44 English sounds....



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,393
Location: the island of defective toy santas

09 Mar 2011, 8:05 am

sometime before i pass on, i must find me a car which floats over rough pavement as though it were riding on a cloud.



Raj62
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12

10 Mar 2011, 1:44 am

Quote:


I've left this entire passage in deliberately, so Raj can look over it.

Where does anyone say anything about "white" apart from you?

Fredoak3 said:
FredOak3 wrote:
The religions of the Anglo-Saxon/Germanic/Vikings prior to christianity.


Where does it say "white"?

He talks about a group of religions from a particular part of north-west Europe that predate the arrival of the now-dominant religious force. That's a perfectly legitimate field of study

For all I know FredOak3 is racist, but I cannot accuse him of racism on this evidence alone. Just because he is studying something that has also been studied by scum who are racist does not make him racist. He way perfectly well be someone who hates racists trying to find out why they think the way they do, or someone who is simply interested in that period of European history. On this evidence alone I cannot make a fair judgment.

If he had a name like Raj73 and was interested in the pre-Moghul religions of northern India would he also be a racist, just because some extreme right-wing nutcase Hindus have the same interest?

Personally, I don't think so.

For what it's worth, I have studied Indian culture and history. I have read the Mahabharata, as well as works by Gandhi and Tagore, and would recommend them all to anyone sufficiently literate. .


You sound like you might actually have a brain cell in your head unlike msot of the other replies I have recieved, but I still must disagree with you. You sound ehart felt, but it is fools like you who blindly take everything at face value that have let racists like Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen continue to fly under the radar for so long. It seems like unless the eprson bashes you across the face and shouts they are a racist then nazi salutes, you will continue to defend them. If people were this stupid back in the 40's, all hitler would have had to do was say 'I'm not racist" and you would beleive him. TRY USING YOUR BRAIN!! If it looks like a chicken, tastes like a chicken, and walks like a chicken, then it is probably a chicken!! ! What is so wrong with studying something other than Euro trash history??? Would it kill him to read a book about Zulu culture, one of the strongest, most inventive, and oldest in the world? I am annoyed by people like you almsot mroe than I am by the actual gung ho inbred skinheads, at least they are honest about their hate, whereas people like you claim to be against racism, but then turn around and defend thinly veiled xenophobia!