Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

aspiewoman2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2010, 1:43 pm

I'm learning to deal w/ sensory issues-lights, sounds, etc. in a park setting. I'm finding once I relieve one another one pops up. For ex, lights were first (sunglasses) and vesitbular (heavy backpack), but now I'm so super sensitive to the sound. It seems the list is never ending and the senses will never not be overwhelmed. I feel so helpless.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 May 2010, 2:39 pm

Have you ever heard the saying that if someone is blind; there other senses like hearing are better than most people who are not blind :?: Well I have a rare vision disorder that I was born with & am extremely nearsighted amongst having extreme light sensitivity & some color blindness & my hearing is better than average in some ways. I have a theory that the brain can only process so so much of senses at a time so the brain turns the volume on the senses down for most people; like the brain only focuses on the main details of the senses instead of things that are very faint & for away. So when a person is blind or visually impaired; their brain can spend time processing the fine details of the hearing. I think the the case of AS the brain may not of learned how to turn the senses down like it has for NTs so if you get rid of the overload from one sense like start wearing sunglasses; the brain notices the overload on the other senses more.
I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone :? I understand this in my head but I cant explain it rite. Maybe I've seen to many eps of the Sentinel; a serious about a cop who has suerper heightened senses

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mutt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2010, 4:07 pm

Try using an MP3 player, or an iPod. Kind of worked for me. Even though I can still hear the noise around me, even with my headphones on, at least, its shut down a bit, and listening to music I like helps me keep myself in control.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 3:54 am

a suggestion- if your mp3 player has an fm radio, turn it to interstation hiss [between the stations] and adjust the volume so that you can hear dangerous traffic but loud enough so that the white noise hiss can take some of the edge off of other unpleasant sounds in your environment.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:39 am

Quote:
vesitbular (heavy backpack),

I'm interested you mentioned that. I have ALWAYS had to have a heavy backpack on my back. It's like a comfort thing! I never connected it with a sensory thing but now I can!

Quote:
a suggestion- if your mp3 player has an fm radio, turn it to interstation hiss [between the stations] and adjust the volume so that you can hear dangerous traffic but loud enough so that the white noise hiss can take some of the edge off of other unpleasant sounds in your environment.

You can download a white/pink noise soun from various websites... for a price (nothing is free sigh). Also if you do go for the MP3 thing, just remember not to turn it too loud as for some of us, the sound of someone else's MP3 player is UNBEARABLE!! ! I personally opt for a mixture of MP3 player, ear plugs and ear protectors. I only use the latter in my house now because they look ridiculos on my tiny little head!

Mutt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2010, 11:24 am

I hadn't noticed, but it's true. (The thing about the heavy backpack). My parents are constantly nagging me about my backpack being so heavy, and I hadn't related it until now. XD

aspiewoman2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2010, 1:40 pm

I have trouble w/ balance and position in space and the backpack has helped me a great deal w/ that. I feel grounded.

aspiewoman2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2010, 1:49 pm

nick007 wrote:
Have you ever heard the saying that if someone is blind; there other senses like hearing are better than most people who are not blind :?: Well I have a rare vision disorder that I was born with & am extremely nearsighted amongst having extreme light sensitivity & some color blindness & my hearing is better than average in some ways. I have a theory that the brain can only process so so much of senses at a time so the brain turns the volume on the senses down for most people; like the brain only focuses on the main details of the senses instead of things that are very faint & for away. So when a person is blind or visually impaired; their brain can spend time processing the fine details of the hearing. I think the the case of AS the brain may not of learned how to turn the senses down like it has for NTs so if you get rid of the overload from one sense like start wearing sunglasses; the brain notices the overload on the other senses more.
I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone :? I understand this in my head but I cant explain it rite. Maybe I've seen to many eps of the Sentinel; a serious about a cop who has suerper heightened senses

I think what you said is very informative. It's true, and not having the ability to tune it out until I find a coping mechanism. My husband has an interesting theory which goes along w/ sensory integration. That once I get used to my backpack stabilizing me and my sunglasses help w/ my visual that new pathways will develop in my brain to better manage all the sensory input. So, one step @ a time I guess. This is not easy, but in the long run I hope it helps me manage the outside world better.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 7:16 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Quote:

I'm interested you mentioned that. I have ALWAYS had to have a heavy backpack on my back. It's like a comfort thing! I never connected it with a sensory thing but now I can!

lolI used to carry the heaviest backpack in the entire school, probably. :lol: I actually liked to carry it on my back a lot.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 1:19 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Jellybean wrote:
Quote:

I have ALWAYS had to have a heavy backpack on my back.

I actually liked to carry it on my back a lot.
Good to hear of this, I seem to be able to walk more comfortably if I have a backpack on and I hold onto the straps.
I am too old to carry books around in it now , so I just use cans of soup instead. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 1:38 pm

I have a hard time, in the summer, with the "good weather", because the sun makes me sick to my stomach, along with the heat.