Does anyone remember their first day in kindergarden?

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 12:50 am

I ran around in circles while the teacher was trying to keep everyone's attention, LOL. She would stop me, ask me to repeat what she had been saying, which I did (to her consternation) and then I went back to circling. This was a common occurrence, along with a lot of other unusual behaviors, but I was never held back!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:13 pm

I remember when I was at Infant's School. I used to cry a lot because I felt all the teachers hated me, because of my slow learning, and awkwardness. I interacted with the other kids, though.

I never got bullied until I was 19 (in other words, I had no bullying at school or college - I only did when I finished childhood. Yes - very ironic).

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:30 pm

Yes. I had lots of anxiety and was basicaly catatonic but I was one of the few kids that did not cry. If my mother had let me bring my special stuffed animal with me, I think it might have been a better transisition. The teacher couldn't deal with my hyperactivity and OCD so I only went to that paticular kindergarden for a week or so and my parents pulled me out and enrolled me again at age six at a diffrent school with a diagnosis of ADHD and I was taking Ritalin. I don't really remember any spefic details but the teacher and her asistance had the paitence of a saint and that kindergarden expirence went really well.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:40 pm

I remember I was dressed like a zebra.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:43 pm

I peed on the floor during storytime because I couldn't bear to leave during the middle of an interesting story and believed I could hold it till the end. Its a tactical error I have almost repeated during long and thrilling movies but I've developed a stronger bladder since then.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2010, 6:48 pm

First day, hmm. Well I cheated on this one a bit, mixing impartial memories with what my mom remembers. I was the only one who didn't whine when she left me there. I remember being annoyed that everyone was so upset with their excessive crying. When nap time came around I was always uncooperative. I could not for the life of me see why we should be resting, not too mention it was the only real time where there was peace and quiet, kids sleeping and all, I think I might have eventually been given permission to read or go on the computer, although I'm not sure. Memories too dim to remember anything else from the first day, I can remember a few events from later on though.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 7:46 pm

Sorta.. well no, not really.. I guess I remember that my teacher had big hair (her name was Mrs. Combs, lololol) and we got cubbies and the desks were round..

But I remember my first day of preschool a lot more. The teacher asked if I wanted to write or play with beads. (these big fat wooden beads and a little rope) I chose beads, but then she asked some other kid and he said "write" but he got to draw, (drawing was my FAVORITE THING EVER) and I was mad about it for the rest of the day. (and obviously a little longer, since it stuck in my head so well, lol) Who calls drawing writing?? I mean really. I'm not overly literal, but that's just misleading. Of course I didn't want to write, I didn't know HOW.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 8:31 pm

All I remember is that the kid sitting next to me on the bus puked on me so naturally I smelled like roses all day long. How traumatic.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 8:52 pm

I remember three different mothers saying to their children to look at me, pointing out that I wasn't crying, and one woman asking me if I had said goodbye to my mommy yet. I told her I didn't have a mommy and she asked me something else and I asked her to please stop clicking her mouth. It only took a few hours for the other girls to realize something was wrong with me. I remember coming home and telling my grandmother I was in love with a girl in my class and I remember her telling me to keep it a secret. Not much else. Just that I was glad they didn't try to force me to drink milk like they did in pre-school.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 9:12 pm

I was told I went up to the teacher and asked her if I was pretty, and threw a fit when she told me I was cute and threatened never to come back to school again.

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2010, 9:27 pm

I have vague memories of the parents meeting each other, and meeting a common friend in the kindergarten.

Nothing really more complex then that.

turkey87953
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2010, 9:34 pm

I was fine on my first day and didnt really care. it
was the second day that was the worst from what my mother has told me i screamed and screamed
and had to be restrained after kicking the teacher.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 9:39 pm

I also remember my parents took me to see a parade and we ran into my kindergarden teacher so they said Todesking, aren't you going to say hello to your teacher and I said no, shes horrible. Then burried my face into my hands until she walked away. :oops:

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2010, 10:05 pm

As for first day, all I remember is I cried when my Mom left, and was about the only one (definitely the only boy).

I was so far advanced intellect wise, kindergarten was an utter joke from an academic perspective. Still, they tried to hold me back a grade because of "immaturity". I had outbursts and crying fits when something upset me (don't remember exactly what but lots of things upset me as a kid, like getting my shirt wet or having to wear a coat) . The school recommended I be taken to a child psychologist, and they tried one guy who was an "educational counselor", and who apparently did little but blubber over my intelligence. My parents never followed up with a real doctor, but it was 1985, and I doubt they'd have caught anything like Asperger's Syndrome in rural Kentucky.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2010, 11:13 pm

Ah, yes, my first day of kindergarten...

At first my brother and I stuck to each other as if we were the only two people in the world on our first day of kindergarten. We didn't have any issues with departing from our family member. I'm positive that it was my older sister that dropped us off on the first day and not our parents, since she went to the school as well. I remember walking into the bathrooms to observe them and thinking to myself how much I hated them because of the ceramic pattern on the floors, and hated that they were different from the carpeted floor of the main classroom, and staring strangely at my new classmates when they cried about something ridiculous. I remember thinking to myself that my teacher was not very tall! I remember thinking that the room was unbelievably colorful and that I didn't like it at all! I remember not wanting to step on certain parts of the floor because I didn't like the color.

Holy crap, I remember so many strange things!

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:20 pm

I remember being violent I'd throw stuff and get angry a lot. I remember stomping on someones toy they brought in for show and tale. I was in trouble A LOT From Kindergarden- 5th grade. Afterwards I had a major surgery and from 5th-11th was tutored/class over the phone/and finally homeschooled. I didn't step back into a school environment until 12th grade at the Community College to get my GED. No school environment since 5th grade! That was a culture shock. IMO this is why I had bad behavior and upset that teacher I still behaved as I did in grade school (by going to her office daily) but hey that was/still IS "normal" to me. Oh well. :-)