Does anyone remember their first day in kindergarden?

Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 10:33 pm

Does anyone remember their first day in kindergarden? I remember my mom walking me to the class room she found my name on some table then dropped me off. I was the only kid not crying or carrying on like some clingy monkey. My mom said it made things easier for her. She said I was staring out the window not carring about what was going on. It took her several attempts to get me to notice her so she could wave bye-bye.

I'd say it took the other kids about an hour or two to relise I was strange. The girl next to me said I was mean and then said they are not going to talk to me. I remember being relieved then I went back to staring out the window at the leaves on the trees blowing in the wind.

I also remember there was a quiet chair we had to sit if we were bad. I was sent there many times a day and each time I refused to sit there. I'd stand or lay down on the ground to the side of it. I wonder if that was the trigger that sent to special education.

Those sre the things I remember about kindergarden. The first day and resisting punishment. What do you remember?

I just remembered about a time I ran out of the class room with two teachers chasing after me into the parking lot where we weaved in and out of the parked cars. I took off running because they did not turn down the recording for a film strip that was making a noise I did not like. The loud beep that told the teacher to turn the filmstrip kept freaking me out so I was out of there. 8O

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 10:55 pm

I don't remember much, but I attended a private kindergarten run by a lady who went to our church, so it likely wasn't that much different from Sunday school for me with regards to the adults and children involved. I do remember being in a room that was used for P.E. games. We were standing in a big circle and were supposed to be throwing a large red ball from one side of the circle to the other, playing catch. I don't actually remember throwing the ball, though. What I remember is looking around the room while the other kids were tossing the ball and being proud that I could read the sight-word signs that were posted all around the room.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 11:02 pm

I also remember the screening process we had to do to see if we were ready for kindergarden. It was full of kids cutting bright colored paper, jumping rope, walking on white lines, and counting to 10. I remember thinking I was doomed. Especially since I was not allowed to use scissors so I was waiting for a smack from my old man when I had to pick them up.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 11:36 pm

I didn't go to kindergarten (home schooled), but I did go to preschool. I vaguely remember playing with a large ball in a parking lot. I asked my mom about this and described the scene and she said yes, that was indeed my preschool and not just a memory from a dream or something. You have a much better memory than I do :lol:

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:05 am

I remember parts of kindergarten but not the first day. Depending on who you ask, on the first day of kindergarten I was either quiet and happy to leave my mom, or I was crying heavily until I found a friend in another crying girl. Would love to know which is the truth.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:22 am

I remember before preschool, and preschool, and kindergarten, but I don't remember the first day of either one.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 May 2010, 12:34 am

Can't say I remember the first day exactly. I had already been going to school for like 2 years before that.

sillyjon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2010, 12:38 am

my mom wanted to put me in a special ed class but where we live, there werent any special ed classes offered for kindergarden so i had to go to a regular school. before that, i went to a preschool where parents were allowed to attend with their kids so i thought that my mom would always be with me throughout my years in school :wink: but when i found out she had to leave i was so scared that i just sat there and did nothing all day. i was afraid of the other students and i didnt let anyone talk to me.

ive always been afraid of things that are sticky so when the teacher put a sticker name tag on my shirt i freaked out and threw a tantrum in the middle of class. i just remember everybody looking at me. the first day was a blur but i remember being terrified to go the next day. the next day when my mom tried to drop me off i wouldnt let her go ;)

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:05 am

Todesking wrote:
Does anyone remember their first day in kindergarden? . I was the only kid not crying or carrying on like some clingy monkey. What do you remember?

No angst , as I was accustomed to it right off the bat , as I was in a Catholic nursery school before -(1969). I can recall a very tall girl running out of the classroom and then down the hall crying searching for her mother. Some others were in angst when they figured out that their mother had to leave and they were going to have stay behind .

Todesking wrote:
I'd say it took the other kids about an hour or two to relise I was strange. The girl next to me said I was mean and then said they are not going to talk to me. I remember being relieved then I went back to staring out the window at the leaves on the trees blowing in the wind.

I wouldn't know what they thought of me because I did things on my own and didnt talk to them. In fact I do recall the assistant teacher making many efforts to get me to work with the others in a group project, but I resisted her and refused .
No reprisals though, and I think she had a bit of compassion about her as she sensed my discomfort with this notion, and she would dangle the carrot to make it palatable in a psychological way-but I had a stalwart approach against it .
She always conceded to me though, but always trying something new in a discreet way as the school year progressed.

I have a hunch it could have been ugly if she used force . I do recollect in that Catholic nursery school it got ugly there a few times.
- She put a bar of soap in my mouth and then looked at her watch to count the time, she then removed the bar of soap and walked me over to the drinking fountain.
-I refused to get my picture taken once, and it got real ugly there when they tried to get me in front of the camera. :lol:
(Ive always been uneasy about photographs)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:30 am

I remember my first day of kindergarten. I was actually quite happy to be there. I was the most well adjusted kid in my class.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:33 am

I remember thinking school would be a big library with teachers walking around who helped you learn.

I didn't expect there to be so many kids, nor did I think many-on-one would be effective for teaching.

I was quite disappointed, and bothered by the extremely simplistic activities we did.

"Is this a square?"
"Is this red?"
"Is 2 bigger or smaller than 3?"

>.<

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:39 am

I remember bits and pieces of my first day of Kindergarten, but I am probably conflating it with events from other days in Kindergarten, as I remember quite a few of them.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:45 am

Yes! I was in kindergarden twice because it didn't work out the first time so my parents took me out after a week and enrolled me again the next year when I was six at a diffrent school. I remember both "first days". I had been in preschool for two years previous so I kinda knew what to expect. No, I do not remember my first day of preschool.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:49 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I remember bits and pieces of my first day of Kindergarten, but I am probably conflating it with events from other days in Kindergarten, as I remember quite a few of them.

Its funny my memory is really bad but the little scraps of my past I remember I remember every little thing the smells, tastes, and feelings I had while there as if it was yesterday. I can not remember what I had to east yesterday though. Checking to see if I took my blood pressure pills is mandatory for me other wise I would be taking them every other day.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:00 am

I remember they had the class divide up into two lines, boys and girls, and I kept going over to the wrong line. Eventually they had some adult stand behind me in the other line with their big, hot, sweaty adult hands clamped down on my shoulders. Luckily, I didn't lose it (meltdown -- hated being touched, especially like that).

And then something about a fortress made of giant blocks. I can vaguely remember what seemed like a space-age-NASA-designed-looking monkey bar set-up. It's huge in my mind I guess because I was a lot shorter then.

Have no real memories of other kids or how I might've interacted with them. I've been told I got beat up a lot at that age, but I have no memory of it.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:42 am

no, but i remember my first day of preschool and i threw a fit and clung to my mother and didn't want to be left there.