Does anyone remember their first day in kindergarden?

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2010, 4:26 pm

I remember my first day of Kindergarten. I had my ponytail yanked out by some obnoxious boy because I wouldn't talk to his "girlfriend". After that incident the rest of the class exiled me until 6th grade since I went to a school with a one class grade. Not that high school been any better :x.

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2010, 4:30 pm

I do. It was a rainy day and there were kids everywhere.
Mum said: "Here you can make some friends!" but I always sat down in a corner and did nothing.
The teachers who were there became angry with me when they noticed how introverted I was.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 7:38 am

I don't specifically remember my first day, but I remember many other days. Folks here seem to have been much more cognizant of the responses of others around them than I was. I remember feeling intensely overwhelmed by the presence of more than say four or five other children in the room at the same time, and I escaped by going deep inside myself. This was 1954, and the kindergarten was a converted garage in that back of their house. I remember the house was a wood frame house and there was a breeze way between the converted garage and the lady's house. I remember looking into the backdoor and noticing that it lead into the kitchen. I remember the house was painted white. They had us doing some kind of excises on paper. I don't recall what it was. I had not learned to read yet. I didn't really start learning to read until late in first grade, but it didn't really kick in until 2'nd grade. But we had these activities that we did that involved coloring I guess, but when I did not finish all my exercises during the time there during the week, I got to be taken back in on Sunday afternoon to finish. I spent many Sunday afternoons back at kindergarten doing my unfinished assignments. I remember, the lady who ran the school was slightly obese, and she had a kind of low voice for a woman, and many Sunday afternoons were spent just me and her sitting at a table while she watched me finish my assignments.

About midway through the morning a young man would come in and play the piano and lead the class in a sing along. I remember once they were singing "...Have you ever seen a lassi, a lassi, a lassi go this way and that..." and wondering what a lassi might be, and then the man at the piano turned to the class and asked that very question. "Does anyone here know what a lassi is?", and several kids raised their hands, and the one the man chose to answer said, "It's what they call young girls in Europe." I remember wondering what Europe might be, and concluding it must be a really strange place.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 7:39 am

Edit. Oops it double posted. Sorry.

Last edited by willmark on 25 May 2010, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 7:58 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
When the teacher asked us to raise our right hand, I would get confused.

Curious. I've just realized that I've always had a problem with left and right. And port and starboard. Is it a aspie ting?

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2010, 8:28 am

Yes, I remember my first day of kindergarten.

On my first day of kindergarten the teacher turned off the lights and I didn't understand what was going on (looking back I think she was probably signalling for everyone to quiet down) because at my house the lights were only off when the room was empty, or when someone was sleeping or watching a movie. So I stood up and shouted "Hey who turned off the lights?!" and I got in trouble. I was the only one in the class who didn't get a sticker at the end of the day. :(

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 10:42 am

Moog wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Curious. I've just realized that I've always had a problem with left and right. And port and starboard. Is it a aspie ting?

I don't know about aspies, but it's common with lefties, even NT lefties.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 2:41 pm

willmark wrote:
Moog wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I don't know about aspies, but it's common with lefties, even NT lefties.

Thank you, that's Interesting. I'm not a lefty, at least not that I know of.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 2:43 pm

I don’t remember my first day of kindergarden. My mom told me this about my first day of school (unsure if it was kindergarden or pre-school.

j0sh’s mom wrote:
I asked you why you weren’t upset. I expected you to be crying. You just said “well this was your idea” and matched off.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 5:51 pm

I remember what seemed like a very long walkway up to the front door of the school. I don't particularly remember being traumatized by the experience. I do remember a Safety asking me what grade I was in, and told him that I wasn't in a grade; I was in kindergarten (i.e. An unnumbered grade apparently didn't count in my world).

I also don't particularly remember standing out as the weird one, but I was so incredibly off in my own world that I wouldn't have noticed if I had. I suspect that I stood out a lot more than I ever realized before, particularly when I recently found out that my mother was "extremely concerned" about my unusualness until high school.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2010, 9:18 pm

I remember that I was hoping to see the Jetsons! Why? Because the teacher's name sounded like it; she was named Mrs. Jensen.
I was standing on the highest tower of the playground watching the adults and children meet the two kindergarten teachers.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 11:02 pm

Although I don't remember my first day of kindergarten personally, my mom remembers me coming off the school bus in tears, exclaiming "Mommy! The teacher said I wasn't paying attention!"

And knowing how distracted I was by the environment and how I viewed people as part of the scenery rather than things to pay attention to...I probably wasn't.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2010, 12:25 am

Yeah, I remember starting to feel panicky after my mom left. I saw a kid that my mom occasionally babysat. I kept trying to sit by him, not because I paticularly liked him, but because he was the only familiar object in the room. I thought that if I was near him I would somehow understand what I was supposed to do. But he made a friend who didn't like me, and the two of them kept avoiding me. Oddly enough, as terrified as I was, I didn't cry that day.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 12:50 am

I ran around in circles while the teacher was trying to keep everyone's attention, LOL. She would stop me, ask me to repeat what she had been saying, which I did (to her consternation) and then I went back to circling. This was a common occurrence, along with a lot of other unusual behaviors, but I was never held back!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:13 pm

I remember when I was at Infant's School. I used to cry a lot because I felt all the teachers hated me, because of my slow learning, and awkwardness. I interacted with the other kids, though.

I never got bullied until I was 19 (in other words, I had no bullying at school or college - I only did when I finished childhood. Yes - very ironic).

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 6:30 pm

Yes. I had lots of anxiety and was basicaly catatonic but I was one of the few kids that did not cry. If my mother had let me bring my special stuffed animal with me, I think it might have been a better transisition. The teacher couldn't deal with my hyperactivity and OCD so I only went to that paticular kindergarden for a week or so and my parents pulled me out and enrolled me again at age six at a diffrent school with a diagnosis of ADHD and I was taking Ritalin. I don't really remember any spefic details but the teacher and her asistance had the paitence of a saint and that kindergarden expirence went really well.