Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Combo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2010, 9:21 pm

Everything I've read seems to suggest people with AS are typically the victims of bullying. I'm ashamed to say it but for a couple of years in high school I was often the one doing the bullying. I think the mind-blindness made it very difficult for me to understand that the other individuals weren't exactly appreciating my behavior. For example one girl, I'm pretty sure she had Trimethylaminuria (or just terrible hygiene), and I used to hold my nose whenever she was nearby and call her 'fishy' out loud. I was genuinely unable to empathize or understand that it must have been embarrassing for her to endure this. Another guy would just make a kind of "heh" noise, bordering on an oink/grunt, in response to anything that was said to him, so I made it a habit to imitate that noise every time I seen him. It wasn't until my early twenties that I was able to look back and feel genuine remorse for such behavior and to try to apologize where possible.

So was anybody else like this?

IMCarnochan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2010, 9:23 pm

More manipulative than bullying but I did feel remorse later.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 9:42 pm

In high school I was like this:

1. Get me out of here it's crazy, get me out of the mainstream, put my head on my desk to de-stimulate and just let me stay in the cubical in the resource class.

2. Socially I had no friends in high school, wanted no friends and was beat up by neighbor people (football players) that could have been called my friends and the other bully that constantly called me dumb slammed my hand in a door from private school. Now I don't want to be the victim here because I hate thinking I have no control over things. I did lots of fart noises at lunch time and was yelled at by a teacher as I didn't know the classrooms window was open. I was obsessed with WWF undertaker and enjoyed getting the hell beat out of me for the sake that I could prove they couldn't hurt me. But the few times I was slammed on the dirt the lights went out my parents told me they were bullying me. I just wish they could have let me win sometimes or made it more into a friendly sport.

3. I think the vocal stimulations with weird noises pissed some people off. I just didn't care nor still care much about relating to peers in how others do. People attacked me at times that were obvious bullies and sometimes well they wished they hadn't because they would punch me in face and I'd just stand there and say is that the best you could do and if they continued I would close hang them and do a flying jay wrestling move on them but I was neither strong nor a provocateur of violence. Another time these two much larger fellas threatened me and I just stared in their eyes and said when would you like to goto jail.

Young folks can be crazy. I enjoyed myself when I was not overwhelmed even if to this date I usually have an auto-inflatable whoopee cushion I can enter into a social environment with. I suppose making people laugh is how I enjoy myself.

It's to bad the school systems are so incompatible with my brain. I learned more after school with my own studies then in the schools private and public. I am very different as an adult then when I was a child.

Nathan Young

CranialRectosis
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2010, 10:23 pm

The more I mature, the more remorse there is.

I finally took the fight to the bullies in grade school. My parents took me out of karate after that incident.

I find that I never stand up for myself. I would draw a line when I witnessed the torment of another. Clever bullies would set this up and when I struck back run to the teacher and demand my punishment. Their victim, my only witness, would give me over in a heartbeat so as to avoid another beating. Eventually the incident revealed a child molesting pastor and the entire school closed. That put 4 of my immediate family members out of work. I was 13.

To this day, I take the blame for all of it.

The lesson here is that what people do to me is on them.

How I react to them is on me.

I know that things are not always what they seem to be. I know that I have three friends and that is non-negotiable.

I know that remorse sucks.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:29 pm

I was accused of being a bully when I would lash out at those who bullied me. Eventualy I turned into a bully so others would be too afraid to hurt me but once one bully was afraid of me, another bully would sprout. Most kids only bullied me.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:35 pm

I don't think you should blame yourself for the pastors behaviors shutting down the entire school. I went to a Christian school and aside from a few narcissistic butt-heads calling me dumb all the time the people were very nice and everyone wore the same clothing. Much less stimulation but far to many topics and to much intensive study for me to keep up with and even two grades behind.

So Christian schools can be a great alternative environments as they can regulate their environments better. Even regular schools have child abuser working for them at times.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:44 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I was accused of being a bully when I would lash out at those who bullied me. Eventualy I turned into a bully so others would be too afraid to hurt me but once one bully was afraid of me, another bully would sprout. Most kids only bullied me.

I can recall since 5th grade being attacked and put down by people at times. The safe place then was speech and language class. Now to stand up for yourself and still get your butt kicked has no moral story so I'd advise people to just tattle if when applicable. Getting slammed on the cement and with a chair by standing up for yourself being manhandled well it does not matter how tuff you act..

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:46 pm

I'm working on obtaining power so I can make my bully cringe and hate his life to death.

thats all

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2010, 10:48 pm

In grade school I was picked on, but not really physically bullied as they did a pretty good job of keeping us supervised at all times where I went to school.

Once I got older, in middle school and high school, I started making fun of the bullies. If they said I was wimpy and nerdy, I'd just retort with a comment about how they reminded me of a chimpanzee I met once at the zoo, or about them needing a babysitter or what not (I was very good at watching my surroundings so there was always a teacher around). I simply learned to be as vicious as the people around me. I learned to not react to them, but turn it around and push their buttons. I made a game of it. I became highly manipulative. It was sort of a way to direct my anger. By mid-way through high school, all but a very few people just left me alone. So yes, I was bullied, and I was a bully. I'm a fairly large fellow (6'0, 200lb by senior year), so with my hollow stare and emotionless expression, which I honed through practice, I must have been a bit frightening.

It took a while to unlearn that constantly on the defensive vicious animal mentality. College was easier; I didn't have to interact with people beyond classes. There was no unstructured socializing time where you were just stuck with nothing purposeful to do. I was an adult so I could just come and go as I pleased (didn't live on campus, probably a wise decision). I don't keep any grudges with the people from my childhood. The bullies are what they are, and were as much victims of the system as I was, and besides, I gave back as much as I got in grief.

High school is the absolute worst possible conditions for anyone socially inept, for AS or any other reason. If I were asked to design a worse hell for myself, without resorting to physical torture, I would be hard pressed to come up with anything more miserable, more tedious, more unrewarding, or more soul crushing. Perhaps if I ever went to prison I would find something worse, but even then, I sort of doubt it.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:50 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
I'm working on obtaining power so I can make my bully cringe and hate his life to death.

thats all

And so goes the cycle in the unnecessary war both physical and social.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:57 pm

Zur-Darkstar wrote:
In grade school I was picked on, but not really physically bullied as they did a pretty good job of keeping us supervised at all times where I went to school.

Once I got older, in middle school and high school, I started making fun of the bullies. If they said I was wimpy and nerdy, I'd just retort with a comment about how they reminded me of a chimpanzee I met once at the zoo, or about them needing a babysitter or what not (I was very good at watching my surroundings so there was always a teacher around). I simply learned to be as vicious as the people around me. I learned to not react to them, but turn it around and push their buttons. I made a game of it. I became highly manipulative. It was sort of a way to direct my anger. By mid-way through high school, all but a very few people just left me alone. So yes, I was bullied, and I was a bully. I'm a fairly large fellow (6'0, 200lb by senior year), so with my hollow stare and emotionless expression, which I honed through practice, I must have been a bit frightening.

It took a while to unlearn that constantly on the defensive vicious animal mentality. College was easier; I didn't have to interact with people beyond classes. There was no unstructured socializing time where you were just stuck with nothing purposeful to do. I was an adult so I could just come and go as I pleased (didn't live on campus, probably a wise decision). I don't keep any grudges with the people from my childhood. The bullies are what they are, and were as much victims of the system as I was, and besides, I gave back as much as I got in grief.

High school is the absolute worst possible conditions for anyone socially inept, for AS or any other reason. If I were asked to design a worse hell for myself, without resorting to physical torture, I would be hard pressed to come up with anything more miserable, more tedious, more unrewarding, or more soul crushing. Perhaps if I ever went to prison I would find something worse, but even then, I sort of doubt it.

LAUGH

In the business world it was just recently I acquired the monkey terminology for business that do not include developmental disabled people. I call them corporate monkey's, those whom behave without compassion and simply function based on greed instinct. Then I was corrected by some animal rights people that animals feel compassion to. Corporate Monkeys!

CranialRectosis
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2010, 12:07 am

ci wrote:
I don't think you should blame yourself for the pastors behaviors shutting down the entire school. I went to a Christian school and aside from a few narcissistic butt-heads calling me dumb all the time the people were very nice and everyone wore the same clothing. Much less stimulation but far to many topics and to much intensive study for me to keep up with and even two grades behind.

So Christian schools can be a great alternative environments as they can regulate their environments better. Even regular schools have child abuser working for them at times.

I don't blame the Christian school. I don't blame my parents. I don't blame myself. It is as it is. What's done is done. How I react is up to me.

I did get a very fine education in Christian school.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 12:11 am

The one I went to was very hard and my obsessed interest even though 2 grades behind was study. I did get on the deans list once but once there was more class rooms each day I started failing. To many transitions. At the time I did not have this logic or self-understanding!

Morality I like.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 12:16 am

AS is a spectrum, so of course there can be aspies that are bullies, just like there can be NTs who bullied.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 12:34 am

billybud21 wrote:
AS is a spectrum, so of course there can be aspies that are bullies, just like there can be NTs who bullied.

I dont know. People as people are a spectrum. Someone told me once it was not nice or not good to make a spectrum based on function-ability. I think instead of color spectrum it is more like a 3d sphere in which the sphere is hardwired neurology, another sphere for functionable personality and then another sphere for experience and influences manifesting in a uni-sphere. These three spheres are like the 4th dimension in which time becomes relevant to the 3rd sphere primarily and the dynamic between the three forming the static moment and point by which awareness is now in comparison to the dynamic sphere of the world outside my head. It could be abstract hog wash ultimately.

The N.T and A.S construct differences don't seem so very relevant if you consider humans are humans. It seems more a social sphere. After all I was not born called Mr. Autism for instance and the others the other people.

Seems baffling to me to separate people solely on this. It would just be to complicated.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 1:24 am

ci wrote:
billybud21 wrote:

I dont know. People as people are a spectrum. Someone told me once it was not nice or not good to make a spectrum based on function-ability. I think instead of color spectrum it is more like a 3d sphere in which the sphere is hardwired neurology, another sphere for functionable personality and then another sphere for experience and influences manifesting in a uni-sphere. These three spheres are like the 4th dimension in which time becomes relevant to the 3rd sphere primarily and the dynamic between the three forming the static moment and point by which awareness is now in comparison to the dynamic sphere of the world outside my head. It could be abstract hog wash ultimately.

The N.T and A.S construct differences don't seem so very relevant if you consider humans are humans. It seems more a social sphere. After all I was not born called Mr. Autism for instance and the others the other people.

Seems baffling to me to separate people solely on this. It would just be to complicated.

Great point. Basically what I am trying to say is that people, whether you think of them on a color spectrum or a 3D sphere, are unique in at least some ways, before we begin labeling them. Now add a label, such as NT or AS, and you just add a level of complexity, but you have not altered the basic dynamic -- uniqueness. Uniqueness does not preclude aspies from being bullies, why would it? However, you are absolutly correct -- labeling almost inevitably leads to more problems that it solves.

What are you a scifi person -- 3d, 4d, etc?. That was refreshing to read. If this wasn't a virtual world we are participating in, I would say lets go get a pop and talk it over.