Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:06 pm

Does anyone have trouble knowing their left from their right? If anyone stops to ask me directions I always stumble when telling them which way to turn.

kiwigoddess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2010, 9:15 pm

HA! yes! someone like me! I'm rubbish with directions (course It helps to have a destination first lol,) I still find myself holding up my hands in"L" shapes to discern right from left. I dunno, It just never seemed too important to me.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:24 pm

I had trouble telling my left from my right into my teens. I'm better at it now. If you hold your hands out palms down with your fingers together and your thumbs out your left hand makes an L. That's how I tell them apart.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:24 pm

I'm embarrassed to say how it is that i can tell left from right, but i'll let you in on the secret.. I don't know that i do it as much now, as in the past... but until my 20's left to right was horrible for me to think through. Though you could spin me around blindfolded and i could point north within 10 degrees 9 times out of 10.

I was "raised" a catholic. so.. i just scratch my forehead. (ie, start making that sign of the cross thingee)
you are only "supposed" to do that with your right hand (the left one being evil and all that bull)
so.. whatever hand you automatically scratch your head with, is right.
Of course, if you weren't brainwashed as a child with that junk, it won't work for you.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:31 pm

I forget everytime I use screws or remove nuts off of bolts.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jun 2010, 10:11 pm

I get left & rite confused quite a lot & I get lots of other things confused as well like up & down ect. I have no sense of direction at all. I've been told it's cuz of my dyslexia yet my dad's dyslexic & he's great with maps; he never gets lost.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KittenWithAWhip
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:26 pm

LOL what a relief!! I'm left-handed, so when someone tells me to make a right or left, I always think quick 'which is my writing hand' ? I've always wondered if I was just daft or what.

Now, don't even ask me to drive north, or turn heading east or something. :roll:

FerrariMike_40
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2010, 10:37 pm

I actually have an extremely strong sense of direction, and I mean extreme. I think everyone from Minnesota does, but I just always know where I'm going. I don't like giving people directions though, I'd rather just drive them there. If I ever do get turned around I feel light headed, like there is a hole in my brain (I know that sounds weird) but when I am behind the wheel, and know where I am going, I feel locked in.

I learned my left and right when I was little with the hand gesture kiwigoddess mentioned.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:44 pm

I learned left and right as a child because I have an ugly birthmark on my right knee.

I apparently didn't learn it terribly well because I was helping with an initiation ritual about twelve years ago or so and I was supposed to send the initiates down the path into the woods one at a time and I told the first one to go to the gravel road and turn right and keep walking. Thing is, the gravel road turned into the forest path if you turned LEFT. The poor guy got five miles down the road before anyone noticed he was missing and sent a car after him.

It turned out okay because later he told me he had just thought it was an ordeal of the initiation. But no one let me live that one down. That's the event that started the saying, "there's no such thing as a homing sparrow."

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:48 pm

I have a good sense of left and right, now, but I didn't, at the age of 7.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:03 pm

Yup.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:16 pm

I have worn a ring on my left hand since I was a child...(same ring..my finger grew around it)....in order to know "left"..and I can still get confused...When I was younger I had to try to find something that I could hold like a pencil in order to know left since I am left handed...

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:28 pm

I remember in basic traing there was a kid who would lace up his boots get them both laced up then relize they were on the wrong feet. You would not believe how this slowed the whole platoon down, The drill sargeants took a bottle of white out and marked his right boot's shoelace with a white dot where he could see it. They said this was the first time they ever saw something like that. The drill sargeants were debating whether or not to send him to the bases psychologists. The white dot did work for him and it made his life real wasy after that. He was not stupid he just could not pay attention. ADD perhaps. He was a nice guy though,

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm

I am completely stupid when it comes to telling right from left, or north from south, and I still count on my fingers and need to back up and remind myself how to tell time on analog clock faces. But I focus really hard on getting it right, and today I was even praised on being good with directions. Well, I have to focus hard on little things, and then people mistake me for a competent adult. Then I get screamed at and treated like dirt when I can't focus and reveal my incompentencies.

Last edited by Sholf on 04 Jun 2010, 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm

I like the fact that "L" way of telling right from left. I will use that to teach NT children when it comes time for that.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm

KittenWithAWhip wrote:
LOL what a relief!! I'm left-handed, so when someone tells me to make a right or left, I always think quick 'which is my writing hand' ? I've always wondered if I was just daft or what.

This is how I do it, too. I still have to think about it.