Do mates call you by your full name sometimes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2010, 9:13 am

Hey was just wondering if this happens to anyone else?

When people talk about you to each other or you're name is mentioned in conversation do you find that they sometimes refer to you by also including your surname?

Say my name is John Smith. A close friend of mine to another close friend would say "John Smith won a car the other day". I see them almost daily and have known them for 5yrs, they don't know any other John. the surname isn't added to avoid confusion it's just added.

Why do they do this? I don't understand it but every time I hear it it makes me feel really depressed and annoyed. Some of them I've known as "good" mates for 8 years and when they say it I get really insulted. It's pretty rare as in like I hear it say 4 in every hundred times but it's NEVER done to anyone else.

Anyone know why people do this? I find it extremely rude and it makes me feel like I don't know them and I lose heaps of respect for them.

I need to know why!

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 9:25 am

Sometimes, because my first name is popular. If they used only a first name, second person would ask ok, but which?

Nobody uses my full name when they talk to me.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 9:34 am

Because I grew up in the American South, I'm used to people using first and middle name together. (In fact, that's what my username here is.) I rarely ever know last names. I don't know if that's usual or just a U.S. thing. People joke that you know when you have really gotten to know someone well because you're finally on a last-name-basis with them.

What I hate is when I use a check or credit card to purchase something in a store and the clerk greets me with my first name. I don't know the clerk -- they are a stranger to me. I would far prefer they use my last name or no name at all. Using my first name (which I didn't offer to them. They "stole" it off my payment method) is a familiarity that feels artificial and offensive in that situation. Just because they wear name tags with their first name only on them doesn't mean I share in their sense of "friendly" over-intimacy.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 9:57 am

I do that. Only because I know two sarahs. But I'm so used to calling them "sarah M" and "sarah B" that I will call their house and ask for them by their full name.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 10:36 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
I do that. Only because I know two sarahs. But I'm so used to calling them "sarah M" and "sarah B" that I will call their house and ask for them by their full name.

I once knew of 3 women who lived in the same house. Their names were Julie, Julia, and Juliet. A letter came through the door one day bearing just the single letter "e" on the envelope. They actually worked it out that the letter was for Julie 8) Wacky jokes like that were common in that social group, and it seemed to help the bonding process.

I don't recall ever being called by my full name, though occasionally people seem to like reverting to my full-length forename instead of the abbreviated form. I hate it because it feels so stuffy and formal, and because that's what Mum used to call me. I've known parents call their kids by their full names (forenames + surname) when they're trying to pull rank on them - "John Major, stop that tomfoolery at once!" I'd probably like it done to me if I'd just been a bit cheeky, as long as it was done in fun, in an attempt to be affectionate to me.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:27 pm

haha, no never.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 2:29 pm

I hate it when people say my full name unless it is for a very important reason and plus, it would remind me that I'm in so much trouble. :lol:

HikariOkami
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2010, 7:18 pm

I can name 5 people that have the same name as I do in my school right off the top of my head, yet I almost never get called by anything but my first name.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:41 pm

I don't "hang out" with anyone.