Are you a minimalist in terms of lifestyle?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 2:25 am

I've never had a lot of money & I hate being in debt. I'm not interested in fancy expensive things that most people my age are into. I honestly do not care about cloths at all as long as what I have to wear is not falling apart feels comfortable. I don't have an xBox either; I have older systems thou & I got burnt-out on video-games years ago. I rather be doing stuff on computer instead. Being on computer is my special interest & I mostly listen to music, watch vids & browse the web. I bought a new dell a couple weeks ago; a powerful one with a lot of expandability & it cost about two thousand but the one I had cost about about two thousand as well but I had got top of the line & had it for 7years. It's the only expensive thing I bought in a long time. So I guess I am a "minimalist" but I never used that term before. I say Voluntary Simplicity/Simple Living

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 May 2010, 6:27 am

Trying to be. I've got a lot of accumulated crap. I'm currently decimating my CD and Book collection, and I just got rid of my TV and AV gear. I plan to one day be able to live entirely out of a suitcase, or less.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:45 am

johnny_the_greek wrote:
Are you or have you ever been a minimalist? By that I mean do you hate owning many material things and would you prefer to live in a minimalist house that has only the bare essentials and things that are affiliated with your special interests (for example, CDs, DVDs, etc.)?

Absolutely, I only have nine computers :lol:

Nah, I'm the complete opposite of that TBH, I have all sorts of gadgets and stuff, I'm a very materialistic person.

davidmenges
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

I sure am. In fact, I wrote a book, "Minimal Marvin", available on Amazon as a Kindle eBook. I aim for less than 100 things, but they cover most of life's needs, from backpacking gear to a suit & tie.

Is there a tie between Asperger's and this urge? I think so. I'm not officially diagnosed with Asperger's, but our son is, and I'm a lot like him. Minimizing reduces the anxiety that clutter and too many choices brings.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm

davidmenges wrote:
Is there a tie between Asperger's and this urge? I think so. I'm not officially diagnosed with Asperger's, but our son is, and I'm a lot like him. Minimizing reduces the anxiety that clutter and too many choices brings.

I think it could be related to motivation. Aspies tend to be much more individualistic & go there own way in life instead of worrying about trying to keep up with the Jones in order to be popular & fit in. We are also supposedly more logical so we may be more practical & realistic in a way. Plus we may not have much money due to problems finding employment so we learn to get by on less

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

Yes, I am. I am pleased with simple things in life, and most things I enjoy doing don't cost a thing. Since I never bought many things, I always had money to buy bigger things that last for a long time (like a really good piano, armor for kendo, things like that). I always make sure only to spend money I definitely have, and have absolutely no credit line on my bank account. If I don't have the money to afford something, it is not meant for me to have. I spend minimum amounts of money for membership in sportsclubs (around 200€ a year), and that's basically it. I don't have a girlfriend, not many social obligations, and don't drink alcohol. My ritalin is payed by my insurance, and I spend less than 5€ a day for food and drink (I drink water, mostly, since I don't drink alcohol, and most lemonades are either too sweat for me to taste good and I HATE the taste of artificial sweetener). I am very generous in lending money to friends, since money means not much to me, but I always make sure to get it back.

Swift
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2011, 3:56 pm

Very much so. I'd also like to learn to live out of a suitcase - not that far off anyway. I routinely go through my possesions and weed out the stuff I could do without. Its annoying when people buy ornaments and such as gifts!
I agree that, for me anyway, it reduces anxiety, having less choice. Clutter.. stresses me.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

I would say in a way I am. I started out twelve years ago with an own apartment in which I had only a handful of worn-out furniture. I moved after two years to my present one. Now, I've finished the renovation and furnished it, it took a while. :) I always try to minimize my monthly overhead expenses, so that if I had to live on little money for a period I wouldn't have much trouble with it. Currently I have only a very little loan.

As I got older, I think I've become less minimalistic than I was before, but I still haven't got much desire for expensive new gadgets, fancy things, going to restaurants and pricey holiday resorts, to own things that are pricey. My computer is 8 years old, and I decided recently to get rid of my old crt TV by giving it to my sister.

I have a modest collection of LPs, books, CDs, DVDs, video tapes, compact cassettes, audio equipments, lots of useless photo, audio and other stuff. Honestly, I can't understand how could anybody get rid of the old stuff gathered together during decades of life? I would have a hard time emotionally if I had to get rid of them. Believe or not, I still have the same carpet with nice irregular patterns in my bedroom that my feet tapped when I was a toddler long long time ago...

[brag]The high point of my apartment is the kitchen and the bathroom. There is real mosaic tile in my bathroom, with a non-figurative pattern over the tub. I don't bath, I take showers, it saves water and energy. My kitchen units have natural wood front with nice rectangular convex frames made of linden tree, colored to American cherry. The units are my design and assembled by myself. I like the look and feel of smooth wood textures. The arched doorway leading to the kitchen form the anteroom is covered by reddish limestone tufa, nice irregular texture too. [/brag]

My car and my two bicycles are not cheap but I think they cost reasonable. I use my bicycles frequently, and I only seldom use my car within the city.

Aerith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

I'm not a minimalist in a strict sense.

The criteria for my owning something is it being practical. Hence, if I were to live alone, I wouldn't have art or the like on my walls. I'd totally love bare walls and next-to-no furniture.

However, when it comes to books, I definitely hoard. I've a lot of books that I've been meaning to throw out, but simply can't bring myself to do so. When possible, I give them to friends and don't ask for them back, but that doesn't work with all books. Oh, and I STILL own every single book I've bought for college, except the two or so that I gave to friends so that they wouldn't need to pay for them and resell them later.

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm

Books and DVDs are my biggest indulgences, but I try to seek out good used copies when possible. My furniture is all second-hand. I try to buy quality clothing that will last, but nothing expensive. I don't own a car. Three years ago I bought the first brand new TV I've ever owned, using tax refund money. It made me feel queasy to spend so much money on one thing.

My "interior decor" consists of a free wildlife calendar, a plush gorilla from my childhood, and a Butters (from South Park) action figure that stands on my computer desk.

So I have to say yes, by 21st century American standards, I think my lifestyle could be termed minimal.

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 5:40 am

In my younger days I moved around a lot so I had very little, no furniture except a cheap mattress and a few boxes of stuff, mostly CDs and movies.

Now I own a 3 bedroom house, but live alone. I bought some furniture because I felt I needed it but I never use most of it. I spent a lot on a good bed as I have problems sleeping but mostly my place is still fairly bare. I still mostly collect CDs. I spend a lot of my time out in the garden anyway. I don't like too much junk, I've always lived very cheaply, and now that I earn quite a good income I still don't see the need to spend for the sake of it. I feel more secure saving but if I want something I will pay more for something of good quality.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

This is an interesting subject because I would generally consider myself a minimalist and would identify with not having much stuff. I don't really see the point in having a lot of possessions.

Yet, life hasn't worked out that way. I work in the technology field and have a basement full of gear. Even ruthlessly discarding obsolete stuff, it still accumulates. I am an anti-gadget person, but have a collection of them to test interfaces on small screens. Where I live, we get maybe one big snowfall per year, two in a bad year, but the last two winters have been the harshest in my life, and have had to accumulate a lot of cold-weather gear I never imagined ever needing. And so on. I save tons of money building my own computers, and doing my own networking, and have accumulated tools.

So, yes, I would say I was a minimalist, but I'd have difficulty proving it.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2011, 11:17 am

My room itself isn't Spartan by any means. I've got a painting hanging on the wall, various knicknacks on the top of my dresser and a desk in the corner, a TV with video games, an open closet with clothes and books and movies, and my bed is not complete without clutter on it to keep me company. Now, in terms of how I dress, I rarely wear accessories, and the most I do with my hair is a thorough brushing in the morning. (Can't abide bedhead.)

bluebutterfly91
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2019, 1:18 am

I prefer a minimalist household that has only what I need and have an everyday function in my life. I can appreciate trinkets and decor but I don't want it in my house. I also don't have a need to go buy new things like furniture or clothes. To add, I very much want to go backpack around the world once my son is grown and independent so I don't think in terms of trying to build a home with new things because eventually I will be leaving it all.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 1:25 am

Laptop, phone, TV monitor, desk, chair, bed and clothes is all that I'm interested in owning.