Page 3 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

spiders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 5:10 am

How do they make "hundreds and thousands"? (those little coloured round things you put on cakes)

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 5:15 am

spiders wrote:
How do they make "hundreds and thousands"? (those little coloured round things you put on cakes)

"How do you know there's hundreds and thousands of hundreds and thousands? Did someone count them?"

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 5:33 am

rmgh wrote:
spiders wrote:

"How do you know there's hundreds and thousands of hundreds and thousands? Did someone count them?"

there do not have to be hundreds and thousands of them for them to be called "hundreds and thousands"
the last singular hundred and thousand on a plate is only one "hundreds and thousand", but it is still called a "hundred and thousand".

i think they make them by blasting a fine spray of colored sugar coating over grains of sugar that are being continuously ruffled into the air by an agitator.

i think that they have many bins of activity with different colors and when they are formed and finished, they are mixed together with other colors to pacjkage.

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2010, 6:42 am

OT - I just found out what hundreds & thousands were, last week. My son did a report on Australia and part of it required him to make a common Australian food.... being as it was 7:30am when I realized that, and he has to be in school around 8:45, I googled and found Fairy Bread.

I guessed that it was pronounced "hundreds and thousands" instead of "one hundreds and one thousands" b/c it was typed "100's and 1000's" in all the recipes. Good thing I was right.

The class loved the Fairy Bread. (They are 8 and 9 years old.)

And on topic - I've asked so many inappropriate questions & made so many inappropriate remarks that I can't single one out right now..... perhaps it'll come to me.

spiders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 7:04 am

"ruffled into the air by an agitator."

Yes that makes sense, I never thought of that. :)
I had my own theory but wondered how they stopped them sticking together.

"The class loved the Fairy Bread. (They are 8 and 9 years old.)"

I don't know any one here who doesn't like Fairy Bread, even us "adults" love it :wink:

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 8:29 am

Known fact: light slows down
Known fact: nothing can move at the speed of light relative to anything untill it converts all it's mass into movement-energy (turns into nothing).

Question: What will happen when light reaches the speed of 0 m/s?
Question: What influence does it have on the time?

_stephen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jun 2010, 8:55 am

As global populations rise does the Earth get lighter? Presumably minerals would have to be transferred to each new human's body? Or maybe it balances out because they consume more of other resources and decrease populations of other animals?

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 9:00 am

_stephen wrote:
As global populations rise does the Earth get lighter? Presumably minerals would have to be transferred to each new human's body? Or maybe it balances out because they consume more of other resources and decrease populations of other animals?

Eonomy makes sure that when things are needed more, they get expensive, so that some people can't afford it and die. I think animals would be the first victim, except the animals that are used as source of important minerals.

ElysianDream
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 9:22 am

b9 wrote:
there are many types of questions i will never know the answer to.
they mostly are trivial.

when i was driving through the city yesterday, i was looking at a 70 storey building and i wondered how many tonnes it weighed. i started to calculate how much it might weigh, but it is too much effort considering the feeble urgency of my need to know.

how many tons of excreta is done every day on earth? maybe 6.4 billion x 200 grams?
i think that if everyone on earth stood in a square with 1 meter's distance from everyone else, they would fit into an square of 77.5km x 77.5 km.

considering the amount of people alive now, and the amount of people who have ever lived that thought in words (whether they be real words or just phonetic constructs), there must have been quintillions or even sextillions of separate word sounds thought (how many? maybe septillions even?). i then wonder if it is possible to think of a phonetic word that has never run through the mind of anyone in history.

for example, how many people have thought of or said the word "clonderodalphical"?
or "bereseculantivity". maybe there are no people who ever thought of that sound.

i will never know. moreover if anyone ever thought the sound "bereseculantivity", then who was it and when?

This kind of disturbs me, actually. I know where all that poo's going :P .

The figure would be much higher in a country like the US than say Bangladesh, for obvious reasons. :lol:

ElysianDream
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 9:25 am

spiders wrote:
"ruffled into the air by an agitator."

Yes that makes sense, I never thought of that. :)
I had my own theory but wondered how they stopped them sticking together.

"The class loved the Fairy Bread. (They are 8 and 9 years old.)"

I don't know any one here who doesn't like Fairy Bread, even us "adults" love it :wink:

Yep, they're as aussie as lamingtons and sausage rolls.

For some reason I always remember thinking fairy bread was vaguely gross/sickly as a kid. I liked hundreds and thousands on ice cream, though.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 9:30 am

b9 wrote:
rmgh wrote:
spiders wrote:

there do not have to be hundreds and thousands of them for them to be called "hundreds and thousands"
the last singular hundred and thousand on a plate is only one "hundreds and thousand", but it is still called a "hundred and thousand".

That's silly.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 9:51 am

Aimless wrote:
Here's what I wonder. If we assume that animals developed certain characteristics for their evolutionary advantage, then what is the evolutionary advantage of the mockingbird's ability to mimic so many different bird songs?

For one thing, are we 100% positive that every species has developed traits exclusively for their evolutionary advantage? What if that wasn't true all the time, but only some of the time?

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 9:58 am

This is kind of funny, but stupid at the same time :lol:

When I was about 8 we were doing a unit in class on space exploration. I distinctly remember asking my teacher this: "You know, on TV, when the rocket comes out of the Earth...at what point does it come out and how does it come out like that? Because wouldn't there be a hole in the Earth where it came out?"

I can't believe I took the visual THAT literally :lol: My teacher really had nothing to say and had us all go back to reading.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 10:39 am

jeweetwelwie wrote:

You'd need a material of infinite refractive index to stop light completely. I don't think that can exist outside of a singularity, in which case you know as well as anyone what happens. :?: :wink:

kiseki wrote:
"You know, on TV, when the rocket comes out of the Earth...at what point does it come out and how does it come out like that? Because wouldn't there be a hole in the Earth where it came out?"

There is a hole in the Earth, but it isn't rocket shaped. It's the shape of all the raw materials that went into the rocket, before they were mined... :)

stephen wrote:

The amount of global biomass (and carbon sequestration) changes over time, certainly. The proportion of "dead" matter - the planet - and "live" matter - the things living on it - changes with the seasons and over larger scales. There are some interesting figures on biomass production from different biomes here which imply that human cultivation of land has caused a net decrease in biomass.

mykingdomforano wrote:
For one thing, are we 100% positive that every species has developed traits exclusively for their evolutionary advantage? What if that wasn't true all the time, but only some of the time?

We're 100% positive that every species has not developed traits exclusively for their evolutionary advantage, there's a lot of blind chance. And the environments that things must prosper in change, after all. One minute you're sitting there contentedly with your comfy nests and your simple tools, the next minute your bastard cousins chop down your house to grow palm oil and millions of years of separate evolution go out the window. :? (That's an extreme example, but environments - being themselves composed of living creatures - evolve together, not in isolation, and the fitness for them that traits bring always changes.)

The year is still young.

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 12:13 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:

You'd need a material of infinite refractive index to stop light completely. I don't think that can exist outside of a singularity, in which case you know as well as anyone what happens. :?: :wink:

No, in fact that would not even slow down the light at all. What I mean is that light's speed has been higher, years ago, and the speed of light is dropping gradually. I don't know what kind of curve light's speed would be, but if it reaches 0 m/s....what will happen? I mean: This world will be nothing...what exactly is influenced by light's speed anyway? There must be something, out of the galaxy, that isn't limited by the law of "Light's speed is the maximum speed there is". *Takes a picture and sends a bill for offending the speed limit :lol: *

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:43 pm

jeweetwelwie wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:

No, in fact that would not even slow down the light at all. What I mean is that light's speed has been higher, years ago, and the speed of light is dropping gradually. I don't know what kind of curve light's speed would be, but if it reaches 0 m/s....what will happen? I mean: This world will be nothing...what exactly is influenced by light's speed anyway? There must be something, out of the galaxy, that isn't limited by the law of "Light's speed is the maximum speed there is". *Takes a picture and sends a bill for offending the speed limit :lol: *

Well, I suppose that goes along with a question that started in math class when I was in Junior High, and was carried over to science class.... If you have a chocolate bar, and only ever eat half of what you have, keeping the other half for the next day, how long will it last? Math answer was you can always cut it in half, science answer never was exact, but was along the lines of how far can you break it down and still have it be chocolate....

I bring this up, because, how is light slowing down. I mean, if it is a constant slow down of say, 300ft/sec/sec (just pulling numbers out of my ....) yes, it will eventually reach a speed of 0. However, if the slowdown isn't constant, such as if the speed say reduces by 1/2 every year, it will never reach 0, even though it will approach it.