Page 2 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:38 pm

Eldanesh wrote:
"But have you considered his possible justifications/reasons for cheating on/leaving you and their validity?" (to a really, really pissed off female)

Yes, that's right
I win :wink:

Ha, ha, I am female and that question makes perfect sense to me! Of course, I'd also ask that of a guy whose female SA had just left/cheated, etc. :lol:

Good one.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

spiders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2010, 10:05 pm

silentbob15 wrote:
Moog wrote:
This may or may not count, but I was wondering earlier what the time duration of the longest ever scientific experiment was/is.

Hmm one that I know of is the Pitch drop experiment which was started in 1927 and is still ongoing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_drop_experiment
Talk about useless info, I seem to hold onto :roll:

Thank you for that info :)

I saw a story about that about 15 years ago and tried looking it up recently, but couldn't remember what the substance was called.

ElysianDream
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2010, 10:11 pm

I questions like, 'what percentage of the population of Britain have blue eyes?' really fascinated, so much so that I will research the answer. The answer, in case you're wondering, is about 40%, lol (just under half have 'light' eyes).

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 3:18 am

ElysianDream wrote:
I questions like, 'what percentage of the population of Britain have blue eyes?' really fascinated, so much so that I will research the answer. The answer, in case you're wondering, is about 40%, lol (just under half have 'light' eyes).

Yeah, questions like that. its something that everyone knows, but nobody enumerates.

My new question:

What ever became of the activists that wanted to stand in front of the Iraqi factories at the beginning of the second gulf war?

I know Saddams men duped them into standing in front of other types of buildings. I know that the activists didnt realize American jets launch their bombs over the horizon and traveled too fast to see their signs...but I dont think they were killed. What happened to them later? Did they just shut up, go home and disappear?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jun 2010, 3:32 am

Why do you ask me for my opinion then get mad at me when I give it :?:
I doubt NTs ever ask that

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2010, 3:52 am

Moog wrote:
This may or may not count, but I was wondering earlier what the time duration of the longest ever scientific experiment was/is.

I have heard something about the Oxford Bell last week actually,
after thorough research on the net (a.k.a. google it), I found that it is the Oxford Electric Bell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Electric_Bell

A Bell that has been ringing since 1840 and they're waiting for the batteries to run out (no one knows what they are made of, but they're coated in sulphur) Some smart person desided to put the thing behind 2 layers of glass to stop the damn noise :D

my question:
(not really do-able, but ok) Without telling a person anything about time and stuff, how long would they thing they sleep? (If they do recognize time has past)

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 3:56 am

there are many types of questions i will never know the answer to.
they mostly are trivial.

when i was driving through the city yesterday, i was looking at a 70 storey building and i wondered how many tonnes it weighed. i started to calculate how much it might weigh, but it is too much effort considering the feeble urgency of my need to know.

how many tons of excreta is done every day on earth? maybe 6.4 billion x 200 grams?

i think that if everyone on earth stood in a square with 1 meter's distance from everyone else, they would fit into an square of 77.5km x 77.5 km.

considering the amount of people alive now, and the amount of people who have ever lived that thought in words (whether they be real words or just phonetic constructs), there must have been quintillions or even sextillions of separate word sounds thought (how many? maybe septillions even?). i then wonder if it is possible to think of a phonetic word that has never run through the mind of anyone in history.

for example, how many people have thought of or said the word "clonderodalphical"?
or "bereseculantivity". maybe there are no people who ever thought of that sound.

i will never know. moreover if anyone ever thought the sound "bereseculantivity", then who was it and when?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:06 am

Swordfish210 wrote:
my question:
(not really do-able, but ok) Without telling a person anything about time and stuff, how long would they thing they sleep? (If they do recognize time has past)

Its doable. They made some people camp in a cave with no time and no daylight, and found they naturally gravitate to a 25 hour clock. that is, they sleep an hour later each day, and go to bed an hour later. Their day will slowly cycle in and out of sync with daylighters. After a few weeks they ended the experiment.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2010, 4:08 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Swordfish210 wrote:
my question:

Its doable. They made some people camp in a cave with no time and no daylight, and found they naturally gravitate to a 25 hour clock. that is, they sleep an hour later each day, and go to bed an hour later. Their day will slowly cycle in and out of sync with daylighters. After a few weeks they ended the experiment.

Wow, cool. Do you by any chance know where I find the official results or observations?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:11 am

Swordfish210 wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Swordfish210 wrote:
my question:

Wow, cool. Do you by any chance know where I find the official results or observations?

It was something I read in my aunts out of date psychology book. I'll see if I can find it.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2010, 4:18 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Swordfish210 wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Swordfish210 wrote:
my question:

It was something I read in my aunts out of date psychology book. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks! I'm happy with just the name of the book as well, since I can go to the library and see if they have it.
(oh library, what would I do without you :) )

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:25 am

Swordfish210 wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Swordfish210 wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Swordfish210 wrote:
my question:

Thanks! I'm happy with just the name of the book as well, since I can go to the library and see if they have it.

Remind me if I forget, ok? Send me a message.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:29 am

............'sorry, who are you talking about now?'..............................

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:53 am

what makes the caged bird sing?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:56 am

Swordfish210 wrote:

Here. This is a lot more comprehensive than the short blurb in the book I have.

http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/a/a_11/ ... p_hor.html

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
what makes the caged bird sing?

Yes but where are the Snowdons of yesteryear?