Page 3 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 10:39 am

jeweetwelwie wrote:
Question: What will happen when light reaches the speed of 0 m/s?

You'd need a material of infinite refractive index to stop light completely. I don't think that can exist outside of a singularity, in which case you know as well as anyone what happens. :?: :wink:

kiseki wrote:
"You know, on TV, when the rocket comes out of the Earth...at what point does it come out and how does it come out like that? Because wouldn't there be a hole in the Earth where it came out?"

There is a hole in the Earth, but it isn't rocket shaped. It's the shape of all the raw materials that went into the rocket, before they were mined... :)

stephen wrote:
As global populations rise does the Earth get lighter? Presumably minerals would have to be transferred to each new human's body? Or maybe it balances out because they consume more of other resources and decrease populations of other animals?

The amount of global biomass (and carbon sequestration) changes over time, certainly. The proportion of "dead" matter - the planet - and "live" matter - the things living on it - changes with the seasons and over larger scales. There are some interesting figures on biomass production from different biomes here which imply that human cultivation of land has caused a net decrease in biomass.

mykingdomforano wrote:
For one thing, are we 100% positive that every species has developed traits exclusively for their evolutionary advantage? What if that wasn't true all the time, but only some of the time?

We're 100% positive that every species has not developed traits exclusively for their evolutionary advantage, there's a lot of blind chance. And the environments that things must prosper in change, after all. One minute you're sitting there contentedly with your comfy nests and your simple tools, the next minute your bastard cousins chop down your house to grow palm oil and millions of years of separate evolution go out the window. :? (That's an extreme example, but environments - being themselves composed of living creatures - evolve together, not in isolation, and the fitness for them that traits bring always changes.)

The year is still young.

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 12:13 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:

You'd need a material of infinite refractive index to stop light completely. I don't think that can exist outside of a singularity, in which case you know as well as anyone what happens. :?: :wink:

No, in fact that would not even slow down the light at all. What I mean is that light's speed has been higher, years ago, and the speed of light is dropping gradually. I don't know what kind of curve light's speed would be, but if it reaches 0 m/s....what will happen? I mean: This world will be nothing...what exactly is influenced by light's speed anyway? There must be something, out of the galaxy, that isn't limited by the law of "Light's speed is the maximum speed there is". *Takes a picture and sends a bill for offending the speed limit :lol: *

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:43 pm

jeweetwelwie wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:

No, in fact that would not even slow down the light at all. What I mean is that light's speed has been higher, years ago, and the speed of light is dropping gradually. I don't know what kind of curve light's speed would be, but if it reaches 0 m/s....what will happen? I mean: This world will be nothing...what exactly is influenced by light's speed anyway? There must be something, out of the galaxy, that isn't limited by the law of "Light's speed is the maximum speed there is". *Takes a picture and sends a bill for offending the speed limit :lol: *

Well, I suppose that goes along with a question that started in math class when I was in Junior High, and was carried over to science class.... If you have a chocolate bar, and only ever eat half of what you have, keeping the other half for the next day, how long will it last? Math answer was you can always cut it in half, science answer never was exact, but was along the lines of how far can you break it down and still have it be chocolate....

I bring this up, because, how is light slowing down. I mean, if it is a constant slow down of say, 300ft/sec/sec (just pulling numbers out of my ....) yes, it will eventually reach a speed of 0. However, if the slowdown isn't constant, such as if the speed say reduces by 1/2 every year, it will never reach 0, even though it will approach it.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 1:27 pm

I think of Reinhard Heydrich's hormonal level. He was feminised and I'm interested how much.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 1:32 pm

I was wondering earlier if AS affects the way a person fights. I remember that as a kid I would get picked on a lot, but would sometimes win and surprise everyone by pulling some unexpected, weird combat move out of the bag. What does you guys think?

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 3:27 pm

jeweetwelwie wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:

No, in fact that would not even slow down the light at all.

How would that work? With increasing refractive index the light would go slower and slower... and then jump instantaneously back to its ordinary speed in vacuo? :?: Doesn't sound right to me.

Quote:
What I mean is that light's speed has been higher, years ago, and the speed of light is dropping gradually.

Do you mean this? It is by no means so widely accepted as to justify "we know the speed of light is dropping", but it is interesting and testable (and a lot neater than suddenly zooming inflation, so it'd be nice if it's true.)

The year is still young.

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 5:24 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:

No, in fact that would not even slow down the light at all.

How would that work? With increasing refractive index the light would go slower and slower... and then jump instantaneously back to its ordinary speed in vacuo? :?: Doesn't sound right to me.

Light traveling a longer distance always takes longer than taking a shorter distance.

<isnert other quote here>

Ehm...I can't recall reading any research works for that matter, and I think I should take my statement back, untill I really get to read that "wall of text". I think I should belive you (because I've never had any evidence or anything from the start).

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 6:17 pm

When people say to me "Have a good one" I say "Have a good one what?"

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 6:19 pm

Radiofixr wrote:

Day?

decoder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2010, 7:30 pm

When were the week days (mon, tue etc) utilized first? Is there a possibility that people lost track of it in the past?

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 7:35 pm

jeweetwelwie wrote:
Radiofixr wrote:

Day?

What if they say it at night?

spiders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 7:56 pm

I always wondered why we say Monday night instead of Monnight (and so on with every other day and night of the week). It's not day night, it's night isn't it?

decoder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2010, 8:00 pm

spiders wrote:
I always wondered why we say Monday night instead of Monnight (and so on with every other day and night of the week). It's not day night, it's night isn't it?

A day is 24 hours which also includes the night time.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 8:08 pm

Fuzzy wrote:

What/where is the deepest buried human body, either as a burial rite or unrecovered from an accident? Please exclude burials at sea.

In my back yard 8)

Mics

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 9:52 pm

Moog wrote:
This may or may not count, but I was wondering earlier what the time duration of the longest ever scientific experiment was/is.

it might depend on how you define an experiment.

the people filmed in the Up series (link) were first filmed in 1964 and many of them will likely continue to be in a documentary every 7 years until the filmmaker dies or they do.

that doesn't beat the pitch drop experiment but it's interesting.

Fuzzy wrote:
Its doable. They made some people camp in a cave with no time and no daylight, and found they naturally gravitate to a 25 hour clock. that is, they sleep an hour later each day, and go to bed an hour later.

if left to my own devices (i.e. unemployed) i do something very similar to this, and i don't even need a cave.

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2010, 4:35 am

Radiofixr wrote:
jeweetwelwie wrote:
Radiofixr wrote:

Day?

What if they say it at night?

Why don't they say "day" in that line? :wink:

But it's just up to you to fill it in, people can also mean "journey", "week", or whatever fits. It's just some NT easiness you can use to your advantage, I think. "one" Mostly refers to something that the person talked to has mentioned sometime, as in: "I'm going on a holiday tomorrow!" "O, blablabla" "blablabla bye" "Have a nice one <holiday in this case>". I don't know if it's limited to one conversation, though; I live in the Netherlands, so there's nearly no chance for me to check things.