Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SeaMonkey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2010, 1:50 pm

I used to hide my abnormal traits and I was even ashamed of them for some weird reason but I can see nowadays how they give me an edge over neurotypical people. I have this stim where I grind my right fist into the palm of my left hand as a reward for when I accomplished something. It feels real satisfying and I do this every time I grasp a new concept I'm learning and I've figured out that what this does is it acts like a trigger which labels the new concept as some permanent knowledge for my brain to store and as a result I never forget it. I have loads of oddities like this which are giving me a huge edge and I'm starting to become a bit of a genius as a result of all this. Over the years I struggled like mad doing so called simple tasks like formulating sentences but I had been developing other areas as a result of these struggles and now I'm starting to reap the rewards of these years of effort. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 3:28 pm

The advantage is that I'm not afraid to be myself, despite the fact that it's 2010, and not 1965. I have a mind and a personality of my own.

Sol-IV
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2010, 5:42 pm

Whilst I haven't been officially diagnosed and so therefore may possibly be neurotypical (this isn't likely of high probability),
I like to think that I am not afraid to hide personal 'abnormalities', and that some can be advantageous, comparatively, to other people...

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 5:53 pm

I have a list of what I call my "autistic super-powers":

Great memory for details
Unique perspective
Inventive problem-solving
Intuitive knowledge of mechanisms
Quick recognition of patterns

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 7:49 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I have a list of what I call my "autistic super-powers"

i think i've read "super powers" three or four times in different posts in the last few days.

i love this and have taken to thinking of aspies as secret superheroes, in a way.

when they handed out the super powers, i didn't get the eidetic memory :cry:
but i do have amazing (and strange) visual capabilities, which i wouldn't trade for anything.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 7:53 pm

oh, hey - look what i found!

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt37621.html

:bounce: :compress: :lol: