Ever felt that the NT world is just a game of let's pretend?

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

07 Jun 2010, 5:43 pm

Abraham wrote:
That's what becoming an NT adult involves ... you actually believe all the lies you were told when you were growing up.

Great career and lots of money is better than love and tolerance ... mortgage, nice house, two cars, all of that is better than inner peace and harmony, laughter and joy.

This is how NT people really view the world ... they are like robots.

I don't quite agree with this. Having a nice house, a car, a career that you enjoy and that pays well will make some people happy. It doesn't mean that they are superficial, it just means that they have different values than you. Not being on the spectrum doesn't mean that you automatically do and think what everyone else does and thinks about.
I have AS and having a nice house, a career and a car (but not necessarily a mortgage lol) would make my life easier but like everyone else, it's not the only thing that matters to me.

Some of the world is definitely a game of "lets pretend to be like everyone else", but it doesn't extend to all areas of life.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2010, 5:58 pm

Wuffles wrote:
It does irritate me that NTs often feel that I 'ought' to be interested, that I have to 'fake it' to make life easier.

I feel the same way. Im always told that I should somehow become interested in the same kinds of things that NT's are so I have something in common with them and something to talk about, like clothes, tv shows, celebrity gossip, sports, currant events, ect.... AND NO, its not enough to just know about these things, you must have an emotional attachment to them, you must in a sense, ascribe intrinsic value to them!! ! If you don't, you're an outcast.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 6:51 pm

marshall wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Well said monsterland and I agree, it's just that I personally need that sort of thing far less than the average person.

I don't think I have less need for social interaction. I just get my energy from a different kind of interaction than the norm.

I've always maintained that AS folks and NTs have different exchange currencies.

NomadicAssassin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2010, 7:29 pm

I recently told myself I wasn't going to fake emotions or feelings, and to that I have kept my word, however I can't find to bring my self to understand why acting like me ( no emotions and no empathy ), makes me the odd ball I've listened to the people we call NT's, and their conversations are hard to follow, I find my self emersed in a world where talking constantly is the thing to do, and I'll be honest I usually end up locking up because of it :( I won't cotinue talking about flaws however I would like it if they for once were the odd balls, only then will they see our side of the story.

Albert Einstein

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 8:42 pm

Moog wrote:
marshall wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Well said monsterland and I agree, it's just that I personally need that sort of thing far less than the average person.

I don't think I have less need for social interaction. I just get my energy from a different kind of interaction than the norm.

I've always maintained that AS folks and NTs have different exchange currencies.

I can usually get something out of interacting with NTs who are sensitive and/or intelligent in a one-on-one conversations. It's groups of NTs that I'm completely lost on. It seems like the quality is inversely proportional to the number of NTs in the group. It's like the more people you add the more boring and superficial the conversations become, the more people start to become the stereotypical "fake" NTs.

KoS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2010, 9:12 pm

Theory of mind.

Because Aspies can't relate to the way NTs are they must assume and believe that what we do is fake, shallow or anything 'below' them to accept that what thet're seeing. The brain says "well I don't get it, so it must be a trick, they're all fakers and pretenders - ok cool!".

All aspies need to take a class in self-awareness before they pass judgment on any NTs motivations.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:15 pm

alexptrans wrote:
It's a little hard to explain, but sometimes I feel that "normal" people care about stuff that I don't care anything about, so my initial thought is that the things they care about are somehow less real, like a charade or something. Does something similar every occur to anyone else?

Yeah, there are a lot of things around me that strike me as banalities. I think everyone's going to have their frivolous indulgences for fun, but the people I feel sorry for are those who don't realize they've built their lives around something frivolous.

I don't feel comfortable saying that it's strictly an NT/ADHD/Aspie division, though. I don't like thinking that way because I don't like the attitude I get when I go down that path and I don't think others around me like it either. (And even when I don't outright say it, I think people can tell.)

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:44 pm

monsterland wrote:
A number of NT activities I considered to be superficial and stupid aren't actually superficial at all.

The more I train myself to develop some NT qualities, and the older I get, the more I begin to understand.

We listen to their speech patterns and there's nothing in their SPEECH that interests us a lot of the time. For instance, your aunt comes over to your mother's and starts chatting with her, and you listen to the words and it makes your brain numb.

I used to resent and ignore such cases. People just talking about single-digit IQ stuff, everyday mundanity, food, etc. Many of it in repeating patterns. I couldn't understand why they do it, because all I heard was their words.

Now I hear more. I understand that the words are not important. What's important is the rapport that people develop. We're all mortal, and the only things that we have to grab on to in this life are each other - family, friends, loved ones.

It doesn't matter how stupid are the things we talk about - there's another exchange going on at the same time. Not an exchange of words, but an exchange of energy. Exchange of LIFE energy, and on some level, LOVE. The words are merely the carrier wire for the current of the energy itself.

When life energy gets stale, the fire in your mind goes out, darkness comes, and people fall into depression. That's why people feed the fire. Keep the energy going. Whether they do it instinctively or consciously, doesn't matter... the energy refreshes and reinvigorates.

I find myself participating in a lot more of superficial talk these days, when it comes to people I care about. I am now tuned to the current underneath the words, and I trade it with them, back and forth, the way it was intended.

I think this is true too. problem is I cant tune into that energy, or even perceive it! I am just left with the words....

Taking a break.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 10:30 pm

KoS wrote:
Theory of mind.

Because Aspies can't relate to the way NTs are they must assume and believe that what we do is fake, shallow or anything 'below' them to accept that what thet're seeing. The brain says "well I don't get it, so it must be a trick, they're all fakers and pretenders - ok cool

All aspies need to take a class in self-awareness before they pass judgment on any NTs motivations.

If you're addressing me I meant fake as in lacking substance, the opposite of "real" i.e. substantial. Yea, what's substantial is in the eye of the beholder. I get it. What I don't get is that I'm suddenly not allowed to express how things appear from my point of view on a support site for people on the autism spectrum.

I guess I'm just an elitist as*hole. I'll admit it. For the most part I find people boring as hell, though I mostly keep my thoughts to myself. I can't change how I feel. I really should just paint the walls with my f***ing brains because I don't deserve to exist.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 11:19 pm

In the NT world, honesty, when it shows up, takes a form we wouldn't recognize as honesty, but which is honesty to them. It's like...

When you were little, did you ever pretend you were a spy and devise codes? Did you speak in codes with friends, and find it so fun that you spoke in code even when no one else was listening?

It's sort of like that. I've come to understand that when NTs say something, they mean something else entirely, but it's a code they all understand, most of them without being told. It's sort of like BDSM, with a safe word. If you and your partner (the NTs) have agreed that reciting Lorem Ipsum backwards means no, and no means yes, and someone else (an Aspie) happens to walk in, they'll be very confused. "Why can't you keep going while reciting Lorem Ipsum backwards? Why doesn't saying it forwards have the same effect? Why do you ignore the other person's no? Why do you stay with a person who ignores it when you say no?"

(Sorry if I've misrepresented BDSM. I'm not into it, it was just the example that jumped to mind.)

Also, in the purely NT world (which is as nonexistent as any other ideal), I've noticed that facts don't matter but emotions do. And beyond that, emotions matter more when they're about people.

Whereas in the purely Aspie or Autie world (again, nonexistent), facts are always the most important, with facts about the person's special interest being particularly distinguished, in the NT world, emotions about the person you're interacting with are most important, followed by emotions about other things, followed by generalities and only then followed by specific facts.

"You are more beautiful than the stars in the sky and I love you more than life itself; without you, I could not live" correctly communicates the speaker's emotions toward the listener, such that, to an NT, this statement is true. Whereas we consider facts more important, so to us, this statement is false regardless of the emotion it's meant to convey. "If you died I would consider suicide because I love you so much" would be true to us. (To an NT, it would take the mood, flash-freeze it and smash it against the sidewalk.)

Or at least, I think that's it. I'm not an NT. Any NTs want to tell me if I'm right?

NOT A DOCTOR

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 3:38 am

marshall wrote:
Moog wrote:
marshall wrote:
Aimless wrote:

I can usually get something out of interacting with NTs who are sensitive and/or intelligent in a one-on-one conversations. It's groups of NTs that I'm completely lost on. It seems like the quality is inversely proportional to the number of NTs in the group. It's like the more people you add the more boring and superficial the conversations become, the more people start to become the stereotypical "fake" NTs.

I guess that the more people introduced into a situation, the more the common denominator must lower.

KoS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2010, 4:36 am

marshall wrote:
KoS wrote:
Theory of mind.

Because Aspies can't relate to the way NTs are they must assume and believe that what we do is fake, shallow or anything 'below' them to accept that what thet're seeing. The brain says "well I don't get it, so it must be a trick, they're all fakers and pretenders - ok cool

If you're addressing me I meant fake as in lacking substance, the opposite of "real" i.e. substantial. Yea, what's substantial is in the eye of the beholder. I get it. What I don't get is that I'm suddenly not allowed to express how things appear from my point of view on a support site for people on the autism spectrum.

I guess I'm just an elitist as*hole. I'll admit it. For the most part I find people boring as hell, though I mostly keep my thoughts to myself. I can't change how I feel. I really should just paint the walls with my f***ing brains because I don't deserve to exist.

I wasn't adressing you directly, you can tell if I do because I'll likely quote you. I address thread ideas/titles/contents with no consideration for the author. I respond to the text and the idea it conveys.

I know exactly what you meant by real. I am more than aware that people with ASDs (not just aspies) consider any subject outside of their realm of interest or understanding to be superficial. I know they consider NTs to be superficial for simply having certain interests and conversations....such as discussing the weather. I know Aspies consider polite formalties (like talking about the weather, or enquiring how a person is feeling even though the answer may be obvious) to be superficial. But this is not because these things lack substance or are fake, it's because people in the spectrum are so inside themselves (aut = self, Autism = selfism) that they can not comprehend the point of these exchanges, and like I said above, they must label them demeaningly. I don't know why they always see these things in a negative light....maybe because they can't do it themselves, or are scared of what they do not understand. (????)

But you guys aren't better because you don't involve yourselves in these polite exchanges (by choice or inability), it's exactly what alienates you from people. I think alot of Aspies are too busy trying to justify themsevles (to themselves) to understand this. You'd rather consider yourselves "above" that kind of thing, rather than realist it serves a wonderful purpose in life.

Or as you admitted, and many other aspies have admitted, you're all elitists! Haha, but I don't believe that. Sure there are quite a few Aspie elititists out there, especially on this forum, but for the most part I think it's a GENUINE case of "not getting it" and having to make something out of it!

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2010, 4:51 am

KoS wrote:
marshall wrote:
KoS wrote:
Theory of mind.

I wasn't adressing you directly, you can tell if I do because I'll likely quote you. I address thread ideas/titles/contents with no consideration for the author. I respond to the text and the idea it conveys.

I know exactly what you meant by real. I am more than aware that people with ASDs (not just aspies) consider any subject outside of their realm of interest or understanding to be superficial. I know they consider NTs to be superficial for simply having certain interests and conversations....such as discussing the weather. I know Aspies consider polite formalties (like talking about the weather, or enquiring how a person is feeling even though the answer may be obvious) to be superficial. But this is not because these things lack substance or are fake, it's because people in the spectrum are so inside themselves (aut = self, Autism = selfism) that they can not comprehend the point of these exchanges, and like I said above, they must label them demeaningly. I don't know why they always see these things in a negative light....maybe because they can't do it themselves, or are scared of what they do not understand. (????)

But you guys aren't better because you don't involve yourselves in these polite exchanges (by choice or inability), it's exactly what alienates you from people. I think alot of Aspies are too busy trying to justify themsevles (to themselves) to understand this. You'd rather consider yourselves "above" that kind of thing, rather than realist it serves a wonderful purpose in life.

Or as you admitted, and many other aspies have admitted, you're all elitists! Haha, but I don't believe that. Sure there are quite a few Aspie elititists out there, especially on this forum, but for the most part I think it's a GENUINE case of "not getting it" and having to make something out of it!

Like all people on the spectrum have no Theory of Mind at all... I am not dumb and I see NT people discuss things they don't care about themselves, ask things indirectly and so on.. all politeness and fear of losing face. Why can't you understand some people (especially those on the spectrum) are not interested in such tedious rituals.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 4:56 am

Hi KoS, hows the weather?
Man its terrible here, wind and rain but we've got the fire going.

KoS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2010, 5:27 am

IamTheWalrus wrote:

Like all people on the spectrum have no Theory of Mind at all... I am not dumb and I see NT people discuss things they don't care about themselves, ask things indirectly and so on.. all politeness and fear of losing face. Why can't you understand some people (especially those on the spectrum) are not interested in such tedious rituals.

We do understand, and we don't care that you're not interested! But we are, and we prefer to talk to people who share our interests, as do you! And the fact that you consider it all unnecessary politeness, or saving face just further demonstrates your lack of understanding!

We talk about things we aren't interested in because we can do things we want to make the other person feel good, that is important to us. To make the people around us that we care for to feel appreciated and cared about, one way of doing this is expressing general interest in them and what they do, whether or not it's what we're interested in! Everybody is not you!

KoS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2010, 5:28 am

nostromo wrote:
Hi KoS, hows the weather?
Man its terrible here, wind and rain but we've got the fire going.

Cold here too mate! Wish we had the fire going, but didn't manage to grab any wood! Bummer, cheers for asking! :)