An interesting definition of autism that I came across

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Did the GFCF diet help you or somebody you know?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
To some degree 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Not sure 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Haven't tried it 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 5:45 am

So I was at this sort f meeting for parents of autistic kids who are transitioning to secondary school and I was there to reassure the parents that autistics do infact survive secondary education. I just went into some disjointed ramblings about my life and somehow people were impressed by it (not sure why, but whatever), Then there was this woman there who was far more organised and prepared a powerpoint presentation on autism and her theories behind it.

She had interesting theory about the causes of autistic symptoms and she emplained autism as a sensory processing disorder which has developmental consequences. She also strongly supports the GFCF diet. I'm not sure what to think of it, but she does make a convincing arguement. Hopefully, better research will be done in this area.

Anyway, I think you guys should have a look at her website and see if you agree with what she has to say.
Here's her website: http://aspiedebi.com

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 10:30 am

Well, if we're going by anecdotal evidence, my younger sister is pretty severely autistic. She lives with our mother, who has celiac disease; thus, that household is perforce on a GFCF diet. It hasn't changed her symptoms one iota - her conversations still consist largely of a roll of celebrities who have died, and what they died of, and her eye contact is still as poor as mine.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 10:51 am

When I have lunch, or dinner at the clubhouse, or in a restaurant, I've been asking that I don't have bread, or a bun with my meal, or else I feel weighed down, for a while. I've noticed that since I've been doing that, I was able to go back to being my old self-the real me again, and I got out of my black area of 2007-2009. I don't feel so slow and punkish anymore, either. I'm also going to cut bread out of my diet, and have three egg omelets, or cereal, for my breakfasts. I can be very satisfied with canned meat, a carrot and a piece of fruit, for lunch. Bread is messy and crumbly, anyways and it doesn't really taste as great as other foods.

enid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2010, 11:02 am

well... I have food intolerance to pretty much evrything, but know I've felt better cutting out millk and wheat; but then life was no fun.
Also my mother has the same thing... so yes, it's and interesting way to approach it.

Stomach-Autism are pretty well linked, are they not?

Well done on giving a speech, btw. I know lots of people find that really hard. Impressive. ;D