Do you have trouble following movie/TV show plots?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2011, 2:12 am

When I watch something I have to rewind the movie/ tv show a bunch of times because I always miss what other people are saying. I either get distracted by something in the background or I completely zone out. Usually I try and follow the dialogue and my mind will start to wonder somewhere else. By the time I try and pay attention to the dialogue again I'm so lost that I easily distract myself again. It's just a repetitive cycle. For instance when a show like The Wire moves in too many directions, I cannot follow it at all. There are just too many characters in too many gangs, with certain characters being snitches and others having grudges against one of their own, etc. I just get lost and forget the names of all the characters, who is related to who in what way, etc. I made a habit out of watching all movies with the dialogue on in order to help me follow the story better, but I'm trying to break it so I can work on improving my focus, if possible.

Also, if someone asks me about a movie I have trouble summarizing it. If I even try I end up sounding like an idiot who didn't even watch the movie. I'm not able to explain why X happened and how it caused Y, and then as a result you get Z. I just can't wrap the story up in a nice little package for someone. Also I have the same trouble connecting and stringing together thoughts in real conversation, unfortunately.

Is this strictly a problem on the autistic spectrum, an ADHD issue, or possibly both? Maybe Auditory Processing Disorder?

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2011, 2:17 am

I have this problem as well. My personal problem is I forget most of what is happening right after it happens. It makes movies and tv very hard to understand unless I watch the movie or show more then once.

eatingcereal

18 Jan 2011, 2:36 am

Nerdykid wrote:
I have this problem as well. My personal problem is I forget most of what is happening right after it happens. It makes movies and tv very hard to understand unless I watch the movie or show more then once.

That happens to me too. Even in real life! Today I was speaking to a new manager at work. She told me her name and five minutes later I tried to recall it and couldn't! It's like the information doesn't sink into my brain properly so I have trouble formulating a proper response. In fact, I often have trouble coming with with a normal response in the heat of a conversation. But later on my own I can dwell on it and think of 100 different responses. That is, if I can remember what they said in the first place..

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2011, 3:17 am

Yes my job actually requires me to learn peoples names and it takes me a really long time.

sneschalmers
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2011, 6:12 am

Yes I have this problem too and I have ADHD as well as Asperger's

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:03 am

eatingcereal wrote:
When I watch something I have to rewind the movie/ tv show a bunch of times because I always miss what other people are saying. I either get distracted by something in the background or I completely zone out. Usually I try and follow the dialogue and my mind will start to wonder somewhere else. By the time I try and pay attention to the dialogue again I'm so lost that I easily distract myself again. It's just a repetitive cycle. For instance when a show like The Wire moves in too many directions, I cannot follow it at all. There are just too many characters in too many gangs, with certain characters being snitches and others having grudges against one of their own, etc. I just get lost and forget the names of all the characters, who is related to who in what way, etc. I made a habit out of watching all movies with the dialogue on in order to help me follow the story better, but I'm trying to break it so I can work on improving my focus, if possible.

Also, if someone asks me about a movie I have trouble summarizing it. If I even try I end up sounding like an idiot who didn't even watch the movie. I'm not able to explain why X happened and how it caused Y, and then as a result you get Z. I just can't wrap the story up in a nice little package for someone. Also I have the same trouble connecting and stringing together thoughts in real conversation, unfortunately.

Is this strictly a problem on the autistic spectrum, an ADHD issue, or possibly both? Maybe Auditory Processing Disorder?

----

Words: Sustained attention, ADHD Inattentive, central auditory processing disorder (CAPD), petit/absence/TLE/complex partial, brain injuries, sports concussions, and so on. Two books address what you write about: Nerves In Collision book by Walter C. Alvarez, M.D. (about Dilantin, etc.) and the How To (understand) Hyperactivity book (1981) about ADHD Inattentive by C. Thomas Wild (Tirend, NoDoz, Bonine, and so on). Other words: Working memory/short term memory, medium term memory, long term memory, sequencing, attention span (digit and word), distractible, distracted, thought, cognition processing, nutrition, modern nutrition, the old medicine - coffee/caffeine compounds (caffeine works for a few of those with ADHD better than Ritalin, other stronger stimulants/alerting agents), hidden food additives (very minor, minor, minor consideration today for only a handful of persons - perhaps 1 in 10,000 people/whatever - not a priority at all - opt for healthy, whole foods/pure water/clean air), executive function/executive dysfunction, and so forth. The two books (Alvarez, Wild) can provide insights (no cures).

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2011, 9:40 am

Only if it's soap operas or other shows where the plot is mostly about the characters relationships to each other. If there's some concrete plot line to latch onto, it's not hard for me. If I have to try to watch TV and talk to someone at the same time though, I basically have to pick one to focus on, or I don't get anything out of either one, unless it's something random like Family Guy where it's really just 30 minutes of unrelated gags strung together.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 3:14 pm

I'm not as bad with following plots as I was when I was a kid.

I still have trouble with duller films, independent films especially where there's no plot but a bunch of weird stuff I can never figure out what the heck was going on.

I was forced to sit through Donnie Darko twice and even on the second viewing I still didn't get it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 8:30 pm

I have trouble following the plots of the more recent TV shows. They're so much more complicated than the classic comedies that I enjoy. There's so much more to them. Perhaps I should see if channel 12 is still Retro TV. The Monkees might be on. :)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 8:38 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have trouble following the plots of the more recent TV shows. They're so much more complicated than the classic comedies that I enjoy. There's so much more to them. Perhaps I should see if channel 12 is still Retro TV. The Monkees might be on. :)

I find the newer shows so much harder to follow. My neice wanted to watch iCarly and I felt like someone kept changing the channel.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 8:48 pm

I haven't any problem with understanding TV/movie plots. But I do have a problem with noticing all the inconsistencies which infuriates me. I have trouble understanding what is happening only if I haven't any subtitles but this is just from auditory processing issues.

Caffeine1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2011, 8:58 pm

Admittedly yes, same with books. The Harry Potter books were fine but I tried reading The Hobbit and didn't have a chance.