In what colors is your house decorated in? Your room?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 11:28 pm

I am wondering if there is such thing as ASPIE colors or colors/decor that make us feel more peaceful...vs. NTs. I am currently living in an apartment complex next to the beach. It is beautiful, however, because we are still renting the apartment is painted very bright...literally RED, YELLOWs, BLUE, etc...between all the colors I feel that my AS symptoms have gotten alot worse...I can't imagine that it is the location, as it is a dream to live here. Most people here (NTs) love all the bright colors being that the apartments are in the Caribbean, by the beach, etc...but I feel like I am constantly having a meltdown, depressed, etc...

Anyway, we plan on buying here and I want to paint the entire apt WHITE or beige or grey...all my furniture, linens, etc...that I have in storage are brown, grey, beige, white, etc...I have NOTHING that is a bright color...except our son's linens and even those are very pale blue/green/brown/white...

When I read about the impact of colors it is always the same...bright yellow, etc...make you fell happy, etc...blah, blah...for me it seems to have completely opposite effects...what all others find as happy colors make me absolutely depressed...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 11:36 pm

A vast array of colours.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jul 2010, 11:43 pm

Ideally, I'd have pastel Easter colours - white, blue, turquoise, yellow - maybe a small pink cushion somewhere.

But I've got a mishmash of inherited furniture. Some day I'll decorate - and then I'll lose everything again. Sorry, not feeling very peppy right now.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm

Mine is decorated in Gift bed, which has currently pastel sheets, Garage wall in the rare grey shade, and road signs. LOVE SIGNS. But yea... it's a fair go better than my apartment was, that was done up in Salvation Army chic. Very trendy, but sooo 2009.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2010, 11:49 pm

My home is very spartan.

No decorations, functional furniture, no junk, and I have never felt the need to paint the walls anything other than the solid white color it was like when I moved in.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 12:00 am

My house is a hodge-podge of mismatched furniture and stuff. However, if I were pressed to pick a color scheme, I would say earth tones. I'm big into antique furniture and anything wood makes me irrationally happy.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 12:37 am

My room is decorated in green, blue, brown, black and red. None of them are very bright - they're all either dark or pastel.

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2010, 12:57 am

Most walls are white, with brownish wooden furniture. Kitches is entirely white with a white/brown tilefloor.
Hallway and rooms upstairs have white/green walls. My room has brown walls and red carpet.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 1:25 am

I have whatever I needed and could acquire at the time.

Most of my decor is functional. If it isn't, then it's probably a rock, or my roommate put it there.

I did once attempt to afix a space poster to the ceiling in the living room but it fell.

I have a few paintings but only two of them have been hung up because the landlord asked us not to put any holes in the walls and my PDD-NOS roommate took it to the extreme and gets quite upset if I so much as tape anything to the wall.

My sisters on the other hand redecorate every time they move, and God forbid something not match.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 1:56 am

I loved the peach color of sunlight when it hits twilight and had it mixed for my living room. I have a lighter color for the dining room. I would paint the bedrooms a dusty green but only changed the curtains so far.

I totally believe you should paint your dwelling, you will be so much more relaxed. I have seen many houses decorated in beige.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 2:44 am

I love color, as well as black and white where it works. Best part of web design for me was coming up with the color scheme. I love painting (be it art or walls or both), even if it takes me forever sometimes. I even painted our septic tank lid in the yard as a big Yin Yang. I'm going to do the old well next with something symbolic, once I figure out what that is.

For me, the painful part of doing a house's interior is deciding on what colors to use and hoping they feel as good as I thought they would. Mistakes are not as easy (or as cheap) to correct as it is for a web site. But I take "risks" and have been both pleasantly surprised or dismayed. I have more hits than misses, and I get better at this all the time. The paint has to be eggshell or flat, which mutes color and gives most of them an earthier feel. Dark can be good, just not bright...or pink.

curlyfry wrote:
I have seen many houses decorated in beige.

It's a good transition color, but yes, I see this color completely throughout many homes, that, or an off-white. It can be so...uninspiring, but can work here and there. Complimentary colors help beige out a lot.

Almost forgot...As for colors I've used, know that space, the amount of light a room has, and the purpose of the room should influence the colors. Everyone has a different canvas to work with. There's still rooms I have to work on yet, because a few have much to peel off or scrape (wallpaper or thick faux paint jobs that the last owner did...oi). So far I've used light greens (such as a fern), a dark violet, an earthy orange (which really makes the den with the wood stove warm and inviting and one of my favorite "surprises"), beige, blue and grey.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:55 am

My room is violet and pink.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:59 am

The rooms in my house are the colours my mum chose, but my two rooms are both blue.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 8:36 am

My house still has the previous owners 60s style orange and brown wallpaper. It gives me nightmares. :D It will be mostly green and yellow when I finally get round to redoing it all.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2010, 9:09 am

Lots of Browns, Deep Greens, Rust Oranges and Burgundy. But my room is pretty much a collection of posters, figures, sewing stuff, television and VG systems. It's not really decorated.

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2010, 9:44 am

Olive green walls, with a lot of jungle motifs. I like the jungle motifs but an Art Deco or De Stijil 1920's room would be great! I've got an Art Deco lamp with a stained glass bulb in it. It is fabulous!