Allergies and stomach cramp relief, making life pretty sweet

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SG
Raven
Raven

21 May 2010, 4:32 am

Hello :-)

I just wanted to share some relief and what helped in what i think was the main thing holding me back socially, and the other ways in which i do things..becaues i feel fantastic at the moment. When we're all feeling bad we dont go out because pain (particularly gut pain) attracts fear and i think this (allergies and cramps) are a strong cause for autism symptoms but i don't know that...

So these have been the best days of my life for a long time so far...in which the way i feel... yesterday i bought some mini-chocolate bars (snickers, flake, and kit-kat) and the waft of the chocolate reminded me of going to the royal show when i was 10ish.

It is a bit of a spin out...

So i just wanted to share what i tried... Even though i know that people scratch their chins every day over it and are convinced the below is superficial, but:

I am on:

Non-Gluten, Non-Milk (except rice-milk), Mixed fruit drink w/ no added sugar, and Stirfrys.

and some junk food every now and then...

I was on that for at least a year and not seeing any major results, until i realised that the Nexium (acid relux) med i was on that worked so well was also a cure for wind and stomach upset. So i went out and bought:

Donnatab!

The magical ingredient that, at first made me seeing stars because its a bit drowsy, but anyway after a week i've been feeling better with every day. I also took some flue medication. Donnatab is from the chemist...

I always felt pretty much like crying after i eat dinner every day, that is without the Nexium. Now that i take it its reduced by a fair bit. I saw a thread about Anorexia down the list a bit before i created this post and i thought/started to wonder whether the physical pain may be more of a factor, teaming up with a searching blank mind as in the same case for me.

So thankyou for listening. If this info helps anyone else - the anti gluten/milk diet and anti stomach cramp medication id love to know. I know its nothing to do with a developmental disorder but it sure makes things clearer for me at least.

Mike

TXaspie
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2010, 4:49 am

Yea man, no matter WHO you are avoid gluten and milk!

Human beings weren't supposed to eat it! As addicting and delicious as they both are!

Hey SG, now that you've cut out gluten and milk. I recommend cutting MSG and aspartame( or the free glutamates like natural flavors, dextrose, hydrolyzed proteins ect.)

If you wanna go the full mile = )

Avoiding processed food period is best.

Btw, kit kat bars aren't gluten free. And many candy bars are cross contaminated.

SG
Raven
Raven

21 May 2010, 6:40 am

Yeah i normally steer clear of flavour, colours, and preservatives, but once in a while or once a week i say to hell with it and eat what i want... :)

Yeah as you said chocolate bars contain gluten, and they also contain milk because its a milk-chocolate formula.

I've been the full mile once or twice, its not great :( I need fancy food every so often. :)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:22 am

There's a third study out now that shows gluten/casein-free does nothing for autistic children. One would guess autistic adults are similar.

Milk, wheat-free diet may not help autism: U.S. study

Now, if you are going to say, "I am wheat/milk sensitive and this diet helps me," then, that makes sense. But you cannot say "every autistic person should be on this diet" or even "this helps autistic people without allergy/intolerance", because it doesn't.

The study above removed people with celiac disease, lactose intolerance, or wheat/milk allergies from the experimental group.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 8:17 am

Callista wrote:
There's a third study out now that shows gluten/casein-free does nothing for autistic children. One would guess autistic adults are similar.

Now, if you are going to say, "I am wheat/milk sensitive and this diet helps me," then, that makes sense. But you cannot say "every autistic person should be on this diet" or even "this helps autistic people without allergy/intolerance", because it doesn't.

The study above removed people with celiac disease, lactose intolerance, or wheat/milk allergies from the experimental group.

Plus, it's only one study. There are peer-reviewed articles linking gluten and autism going back to the 1960s. Plenty enough weight to counter-balance one single study with a potentially flawed methodology.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 8:32 am

which also causes drowsyness...

i've been drinking nyquil at night...(without the pain reliever)
not sure if they are related in ingredients...

not sure how good that is for me =/

but i am able to quickly sleep at night and my mind is not filtering through the entire day over and over

also..if I wake up in the middle of the night i'm able to get back to sleep...

and when I wake up i'm way more energized then I used to be

(not telling anyone to do this, but it did help me)

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 6:35 pm

liveandletdie wrote:
which also causes drowsyness...

i've been drinking nyquil at night...(without the pain reliever)
not sure if they are related in ingredients...

not sure how good that is for me =/

Be careful because it can be physically addictive. Though when done in moderation, I don't see how it could be so bad for you. It's likely better for you than sleep deprivation!

I use 5-HTP when I'm too stressed to sleep properly. Also not necessarily recommending it for anyone else, but it works wonders for me when I need it. It can cause digestive upset if taken all at once, though, so I start with one 100 mg capsule in the evening for a few days and if it's not doing the trick of bringing me around right, I add another. Above two, it starts depleting other nutrients in the body, so I don't go past that although I have read that some people do take as many as three a day for stretches of time with no problems.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 6:47 pm

I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and that's that. 8)

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and that's that. 8)

I used to be so fortunate. I miss the ease of those days. Nowadays, my body completely rebels if I eat things it doesn't want inside it. It's not pretty at all.

And it makes me have to choose between eating what my body wants and feeling great but having no chance at a social life (a limited diet is socially crippling enough but when you add it to my already socially crippled state, it's flat-out devastating) or eating what people offer in hopes of building friendships with them and then being so ill that I don't care whether I have friends or not.

For now, I've chosen the former. But it would be nice to meet some people with a similar diet so I can stay well *and* have a chance at a social life at the same time.

jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2010, 12:44 am

That study (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 143401.htm) is unreliable.

There were only 12 (and less) patients, they were also only on the diet properly for 4 weeks (it takes up to 6 months to flush out gluten, longest I've heard it take is 7yrs).
And most of all nothing credible was used to prove it,

If you actually want to prove it wrong, then simply test the patients blood for anti gliadins (which proves the patient has leaky gut syndrome and gluten is attacking their immune system). But nah a pen and paper is so much more credible. It's all most as though they're trying to cover it up. They have a simple testing method to prove it, yet over 20yrs it's been avoided in every study to date.

Just look at the chart in this link and the related article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gliadin_antibodies

So in a month it's dropped from 203 to 171. The people who conducted this study are ill educated morons who shouldn't play with things they don't understand.

ARGH

Last edited by jametto on 23 May 2010, 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SG
Raven
Raven

22 May 2010, 4:18 am

What im getting at is an allergy to lactose causes wind & stomach cramps and possibly the same thing with gluten. And that a general feeling of insecurity comes from the gut if your not feeling well down there, and leads to over analysing because of the insecurity. And also when you've changed the diet, you can still be left with the cramps and wind until you can remove the pain there aswell by taking some medication for it.

I know this is for certain with me, but other people might not agree...

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 4:23 am

SG wrote:
What im getting at is an allergy to lactose causes wind & stomach cramps and possibly the same thing with gluten.

Most definitely the same thing with gluten -- at least in my case. Gluten gives me diarrhea and heartburn. Much worse than dairy for me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 12:58 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
Callista wrote:

Plus, it's only one study. There are peer-reviewed articles linking gluten and autism going back to the 1960s. Plenty enough weight to counter-balance one single study with a potentially flawed methodology.
Placebo-controlled, double-blind studies? Peer-reviewed by actual doctors, rather than alternative medicine practitioners?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 6:10 pm

Callista wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Callista wrote:

Placebo-controlled, double-blind studies? Peer-reviewed by actual doctors, rather than alternative medicine practitioners?

Have a look in the pubmed database and decide for yourself whether they're legitimate or not.

jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2010, 1:53 am

Callista wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Callista wrote:

This study has no ground, it's incredibly naive. It's almost biased in a way, I can't think of any other reason as to why it's so ignorant.

It's like "Hey, Gluten takes a 2 year diet to return to normal, but we're stupid doctors who are naive so we'll just give it 4 weeks. THIS STUDY HAS NO GROUND and it's quite clear to everyone.

jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2010, 1:55 am

Again look at the chart. 4 weeks removes around 10% of gluten from your system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gliadin_antibodies

That's why it's a bogus study.